• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N64 FPGA core now emulates NES games...Ninception and why that matters

VGEsoterica

Funny timing considering the news that Nintendo is going after Yuzu. Sigh...Nintendo will never stop

but as of Sunday the MiSTer FPGA N64 core can now emulate NES games with Neon64...which is a fun party trick but MiSTer already has an NES core so what's the point?

Its all down to how FPGA cores get made. N64 having a MIPS CPU with a certain amount of instruction sets means that each one of those instruction sets has to be set up perfectly in FPGA for the core to function 1:1 with a real N64 console. Getting Neon64 fully running in the N64 core means that the CPU instruction set is correctly written and operating within the FPGA chip as the emulator was written in MIPS for real N64 hardware.

Plus its always fun to see just how complex and wild these kinds of projects can get. An FPGA recreation of a N64 running a software emulator for the Nintendo Entertainment System...multiple layers of the onion peeled back to give everyone a more modern N64 in FPGA

But Gaf...who's playing N64 in FPGA yet? Can't be just me

RaySoft

I don't have a MISTer, so no FPGA N64 (or any other) for me. Good that the N64 core proved to be close to 1:1 with the real thing tho'.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I have a mister last update i played was megadrive CD

Will touch it again after n64 core is 101% completed

Top Bottom