• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - RETRO: Sony PlayStation 3: Chasing the 1080p Dream (2006/2007) (UPDATE: PART 4)

I had an HD ready TV but played mostly on an 800p CRT PC monitor using the 360's VGA cable... absolutely pristine image quality, later I played on a 1050p 16:10 LCD monitor, which sadly meant black bars on top and bottom as games of course didn't support 16:10... but the 360 still thankfully supported the 1680x1050 output resolution so the scaling was perfect

VGA cable was a godsend if you had a launch model 360, getting a 1:1 pixel mapped 1360x768 meant the TV's crappy scaler back then didn't have to do anything so a better picture all around. Also enabled DVD upscaling as VGA bypassed the copy protection that limited component to 480p on DVD playback. Still have the cable for testing X360 at work as its just easier to connect to my work monitor that way instead of connecting up a TV for HDMI.

Banned
VGA cable was a godsend if you had a launch model 360, getting a 1:1 pixel mapped 1360x768 meant the TV's crappy scaler back then didn't have to do anything so a better picture all around. Also enabled DVD upscaling as VGA bypassed the copy protection that limited component to 480p on DVD playback. Still have the cable for testing X360 at work as its just easier to connect to my work monitor that way instead of connecting up a TV for HDMI.

yeah VGA was the way to go on 360, the flexibility and options it brought were great.

they later patched in support for PC resolutions into the HDMI output too tho, so you could have 768p over HDMI later on

K' Dash

I already had a 360 when the PS3 launched. Watching this video it downed on me that the release 360 didn't have HDMI, WiFi, and the base console didn't even have an HDD... Damn.

The Phat 60GB PS3 maybe had some extra stuff that increased the price, but as a premium console, it was worth every cent, it had the whole package.

Banned
I already had a 360 when the PS3 launched. Watching this video it downed on me that the release 360 didn't have HDMI, WiFi, and the base console didn't even have an HDD... Damn.

The Phat 60GB PS3 maybe had some extra stuff that increased the price, but as a premium console, it was worth every cent, it had the whole package.

back then HDMI was completely unnecessary, wifi should NEVER BE USED FOR GAMING and Xbox games didn't need an HDD back then either.

so IMO these sacrifices were a good thing given that you could get a 360 starting at 300€/$ back then and for 400 you had the HDD equipped one.

all the tech inside the PS3 was not worth paying 600 bucks for it whatsoever as most of it you would never actually need, especially all the card readers... like wtf? and why would you need 4 front facing USB ports?

and especially at launch it wasn't worth it. you payed 600 bucks to play games at half the framerate of the 360 version, without rumble and with worse graphics...

Last edited:

No HDMI, no Blu-ray, no WiFi, models with no HDD and no rechargeable battery (something that somehow find acceptable to this day), you couldn't just upgrade the HDD easily like with the PS3 and as a bonus you had the 3RLOD. The PS3 originally even had backwards compatibility using actual PS1 and PS2 hardware inside the console and even OtherOS.

People give Sony way too much shit for the PS3 blowing up in their face but they were trying to create something pretty interesting. Them betting on the CELL and partnering with Nvidia is what really made it a nightmare.

The OG PS3 is one of my favorite consoles.

Last edited:

K' Dash

back then HDMI was completely unnecessary, wifi should NEVER BE USED FOR GAMING and Xbox games didn't need an HDD back then either.

so IMO these sacrifices were a good thing given that you could get a 360 starting at 300€/$ back then and for 400 you had the HDD equipped one.

all the tech inside the PS3 was not worth paying 600 bucks for it whatsoever as most of it you would never actually need, especially all the card readers... like wtf? and why would you need 4 front facing USB ports?

and especially at launch it wasn't worth it. you payed 600 bucks to play games at half the framerate of the 360 version, without rumble and with worse graphics...

WiFi should never be used for gaming? give me a break... I agree that you should use wired if you can, but I'm not doing wires all over the place if it's not necessary.

Just the blu ray player inside justified the extra money IMO.

Also, pleaying without an HDD sucked, not for nothing the cheapest 360 version was called the "tard pack" back then.

1080p only test? What about 120 fps games? lol

[/URL]

PS3 could run at 120 fps​

According to Ken Kutaragi.

News by Ellie Gibson Contributor
Updated on 31 Oct 2005

Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi has claimed that the PlayStation 3 will run games at an unprecedented (and perhaps rather pointless) 120 frames per second.

According to Japanese news service Nikkei BP, Kutaragi's comments were made at the Tokyo International Digital Conference last week where he turned up to extol the virtues of the PS3 and its Cell processor. And, of course, to make his rather astonishing claim.

It's particularly interesting because there isn't actually a TV in the world which can refresh the screen at a rate of 120 times per second. Kutaragi acknowledged this, but said he wants the PS3 to be ready to make the best of the technology once it finally arrives.

Kutaragi pointed out that the Cell chip can decode more than ten HDTV channels at a time, and can be used for rotating and zooming effects. He also discussed some of the different ways in which it could be used - to display actual-size newspaper pages, for example, to show more than one HD channel on the screen at a time, or for video conferences.

Kutaragi also explained how a processing power of 25.6 teraflops could be achieved - by creating a Cell cluster server with 16 units, each made up of eight Cell processors running at 2.5Ghz.
Ken made a lot of claims about the PS2 and PS3 that never materialized. Dude was as showman and it worked.

bender

What time is it?
Ken made a lot of claims about the PS2 and PS3 that never materialized. Dude was as showman and it worked.

All of Ken's claims came true. He was a true pioneer and visionary.

giphy.gif

Both 360 / PS3 were awesome consoles, and I still like to revisit games from this era. Multiplatfrom games for sure looked and run better on Xbox 360 (I'm guessing it's because xbox GPU had Unified Shaders), but exclusives were showing that PS3 was superior overall. Developers were able to overcome RSX shortcomings thanks to CELL and originally sony was even conisdering to build PS3 with CELL CPU alone, so without addtional GPU, but sony invested into RSX because it was easier for developers to port games from PC games on PS3. What's interesting RSX had the same amount of shaders as 7800GTX, but real performance was cut in half because of limited 128bit bus (RSX performance was more comparable to 7600GT). Thanks to CELL however games run much better on PS3, and I'm not so sure if even 7800GTX on PC would run something like the last of us.

Last edited:

scydrex

No HDMI, no Blu-ray, no WiFi, models with no HDD and no rechargeable battery (something that somehow find acceptable to this day), you couldn't just upgrade the HDD easily like with the PS3 and as a bonus you had the 3RLOD. The PS3 originally even had backwards compatibility using actual PS1 and PS2 hardware inside the console and even OtherOS.

People give Sony way too much shit for the PS3 blowing up in their face but they were trying to create something pretty interesting. Them betting on the CELL and partnering with Nvidia is what really made it a nightmare.

The OG PS3 is one of my favorite consoles.

When the Ps3 launched all of the blu ray players back then cost more than US$1000 from what i remember. It was complete as a media player/console. If Sony would have bet on a X86 CPU and a ATI GPU would have been other story.

I was quite impressed with Lair, I might pick it up as I still have my launch PS3. Also made me want to play Virtua Tennis, had me search through Xbox bc list only to be disappointed.
Been thinking about this too and give it a whirl for myself. Its the kind of game Sony doesn't greenlight anymore.

Read its legitimately better without mandatory sixaxis controls.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
When the Ps3 launched all of the blu ray players back then cost more than US$1000 from what i remember. It was complete as a media player/console. If Sony would have bet on a X86 CPU and a ATI GPU would have been other story.

It really was a great media player. CDs, DVDs, BDs, network media, etc. I guess you can still do most of that on a PS5, but I personally miss the ability to play and rip CDs.

Romulus

Both 360 / PS3 were awesome consoles, and I still like to revisit games from this era. Multiplatfrom games for sure looked and run better on Xbox 360 (I'm guessing it's because xbox GPU had Unified Shaders), but exclusives were showing that PS3 was superior overall. Developers were able to overcome RSX shortcomings thanks to CELL and originally sony was even conisdering to build PS3 with CELL CPU alone, so without addtional GPU, but sony invested into RSX because it was easier for developers to port games from PC games on PS3. What's interesting RSX had the same amount of shaders as 7800GTX, but real performance was cut in half because of limited 128bit bus (RSX performance was more comparable to 7600GT). Thanks to CELL however games run much better on PS3, and I'm not so sure if even 7800GTX on PC would run something like the last of us.

I don't think the exclusives on ps3 were anything more than Sony's developer prowess. There were a lot of tricks to limit the ps3 from being taxed. Most every top tier exclusive was limited in some way, fixed camera angles or very linear. Then inside those little boxes you just had sony prowess to showcase, which was great animation and effects. Smart development, but never really showed anything special that the ps3 was doing. If you gave any of those sony devs millions of dollars to make the same game on 360, it would look nearly the same or even better in some cases. A well-rounded machine like the 360 would have had more time to push versus spent clogged up with offloading stuff for the cell. MS just didn't have anything remotely similar to the Sony studios, that was the difference.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I'm open to being wrong but you'd have to present evidence. As I said, mine is a theory regards vf5 but it would make sense.
Going back and looking at technical specs again(wikis,etc) for the Sega Lindbergh arcade machines:
3Ghz Pentium4/Celeron with NV GTX 7600GS vram 256MB @400Mhz x2 channels = 800Mhz
and the RSX, of the Ps3 based on NV GTX 7800: vram 256MB@650Mhz x2 channels =1300Mhz
and the Xenos: unified xbox 360 512MB GDDR3 memory at 700Mhz

it looks like it is still a small possibility that VF5c on the 360 didn't use the edram on those numbers, but on your original topic of whether the xenos is superior to the RSX, that pretty much illustrates it was weaker...because VF5 was mapped to a simple single core 2 way CPU and budget NV GPU in the Lindbergh units, so it is no surprise it mapped easily to the PPU and RSX of the PS3 for an arcade perfect port with headroom. But the 360 has a CPU advantage, a memory amount advantage, and a transfer advantage of unified ram - not needing to shuttle RAM to VRAM.

So if the Xenos was better than a RSX it should have no issue running 7600GS features even without edram, because of the reduced polygon counts and lower resolution in VF5c, it is rendering, and yet it still screen tears. most likely because the polygon counts are still too high for the Xenos. Obviously the edram - if it wasn't used - could make up the difference between a Xenos and 7600GS to over take it, but not to a GTX 7800.
It was 128mb, what the PS3 os used early on. It never reached 14mb ; in the end it used 50mb while Xbox 360 os used only 32mb.
That is what the wiki says, but I was sure DF did an article about it using 14MB on the VRAM in the end and was part of the reason cross game chat couldn't be implemented, but maybe it was partly using GDDR3 at some stage from a larger total I've misremembered,

Last edited:
I don't think the exclusives on ps3 were anything more than Sony's developer prowess. There were a lot of tricks to limit the ps3 from being taxed. Most every top tier exclusive was limited in some way, fixed camera angles or very linear. Then inside those little boxes you just had sony prowess to showcase, which was great animation and effects. Smart development, but never really showed anything special that the ps3 was doing. If you gave any of those sony devs millions of dollars to make the same game on 360, it would look nearly the same or even better in some cases. A well-rounded machine like the 360 would have had more time to push versus spent clogged up with offloading stuff for the cell. MS just didn't have anything remotely similar to the Sony studios, that was the difference.
To be honest I still dont know what's the most impressive PS360 exclusive. I was impressed with Killozne 2/3 and TLOU1 graphics, but something like Gears Of War 3 on xbox360 looked equally impressive.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Going back and looking at technical specs again(wikis,etc) for the Sega Lindbergh arcade machines:
3Ghz Pentium4/Celeron with NV GTX 7600GS vram 256MB @400Mhz x2 channels = 800Mhz
and the RSX, of the Ps3 based on NV GTX 7800: vram 256MB@650Mhz x2 channels =1300Mhz

it looks like it is still a small possibility that VF5c on the 360 didn't use the edram on those numbers, but on your original topic of whether the xenos is superior to the RSX, that pretty much illustrates it was weaker...because VF5 was mapped to a simple single core 2 way CPU and budget NV GPU in the Lindbergh units, so it is no surprise it mapped easily to the PPU and RSX of the PS3 for an arcade perfect port with headroom. But the 360 has a CPU advantage, a memory amount advantage, and a transfer advantage of unified ram - not needing to shuttle RAM to VRAM.

So if the Xenos was better than a RSX it should have no issue running 7600GS features even without edram, because of the reduced polygon counts and lower resolution in VF5c, it is rendering, and yet it still screen tears. most likely because the polygon counts are still too high for the Xenos. Obviously the edram - if it wasn't used - could make up the difference between a Xenos and 7600GS to over take it, but not to a GTX 7800.

That is what the wiki says, but I was sure DF did an article about it using 14MB on the VRAM in the end and was part of the reason cross game chat couldn't be implemented, but maybe it was partly using GDDR3 at some stage from a larger total I've misremembered,

Hmmm, I thought it was accepted as fact that the 360 had the superior GPU while the PS3 had the superior CPU (if fully utilized, which was not very easy to accomplish). In fact the 360 CPU was based on the work done for the Cell, but instead of 1 main core and 8 auxiliary cores (well, 7) it had three of those same main cores and no auxiliary ones. So it was probably easier to the get the most out of due to being a simpler design, but in terms of raw power the Cell was the top dog of that generation.

Even making a more expensive console turned out to be a good call, as it did sell well despite everything and these days we see that there is definitely a market for more premium products. They made a lot of good calls that would've worked out just fine but betting on the Cell was a brutal mistake (that wasn't helped by partnering with NVidia).

To this day they still pay the price for going with the Cell, having no native backwards compatibility solution and having a really hard time expanding their cloud service in great part due to it (we can assume).

The irony is that the problems they had with the PS3, including how hard it was to develop for it shaped the PlayStation division going forward and PlayStation studios into what they are today.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Even making a more expensive console turned out to be a good call, as it did sell well despite everything and these days we see that there is definitely a market for more premium products. They made a lot of good calls that would've worked out just fine but betting on the CELL was a brutal mistake (that wasn't helped by partnering with NVidia).

The irony is that the problems they had with the PS3, including how hard it was to develop for it shaped the PlayStation division going forward and PlayStation studios into what they are today.
Sony lost a ton of money on the PS3 for a long time, so I wouldn't say making an expensive console was a good call at all. I mean, I personally like their ambition with it, but had they made a simpler machine more like the 360 it would have been cheaper, sold better, probably won the generation easily, and made them more money.

Sony lost a ton of money on the PS3 for a long time, so I wouldn't say making an expensive console was a good call at all. I mean, I personally like their ambition with it, but had they made a simpler machine more like the 360 it would have been cheaper, sold better, probably won the generation easily, and made them more money.
I meant the price they charged. It costing a lot and being hard to produce was one of the big reason it was a massive blow to Sony. To me the PS3 had great value even at that price point, the problem is that Sony was still taking a massive loss to hit that price.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Hmmm, I thought it was accepted as fact that the 360 had the superior GPU while the PS3 had the superior CPU (if fully utilized, which was not very easy to accomplish). In fact the 360 CPU was based on the work done for the Cell, but instead of 1 main core and 8 auxiliary cores (well, 7) it had three of those same main cores and no auxiliary ones. So it was probably easier to the get the most out of due to being a simpler design, but in terms of raw power the Cell was the top dog of that generation.
Richard/DF kept saying that at the time, but it was never true. Geometry processing and floating point format handling alone on the RSX - not to mention triple and double buffering, free HW sRGB gamma correction, to name a few - were always better specs of the RSX.

But you said "Even making a more expensive console turned out to be a good call". I don't get it, lol.
As I said, I meant the price point. Making a $500~$600 console wasn't a mistake, the problem was making a console that was still resulting in huge losses at those price points.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Richard/DF kept saying that at the time, but it was never true. Geometry processing and floating point format handling alone on the RSX - not to mention triple and double buffering, free HW sRGB gamma correction, to name a few - were always better specs of the RSX.

Hmm, okay, but I'm pretty sure that in terms of FLOPs (which does matter, more so back then) the Xenon had the advantage? And of course the PS3's split memory caused issues for a lot of developers.

As I said, I meant the price point. Making a $500~$600 wasn't a mistake, the problem was making a console that was still resulting in huge losses at those price points.

I think $600 was also a mistake though, one year after the $400 360.

I never played Gears 3, but the KZ games did look good.
What!!!! I thought you love xbox consoles, yet you want to tell me you havent played ultimate xbox classic like Gears 3? Son, you have disappointed me, so I give you an order and you must follow it. PLAY THIS GAME RIGHT AWAY (if you have family or other games to play, just forget about them for now), because you will not regreat it. On XSX gears 3 looks good even today, and gameplay is beyond awesome (gears 3 has the most varied and beautiful locations in entire series).

Dont forget Xbox GPU had unified shaders and "almost free" MSAAx2. Most mutliplatform games looked much worse on PS3 until developers starting using CELL potential to offload RSX.

Romulus

What!!!! I thought you love xbox consoles, yet you want to tell me you havent played ultimate xbox classic like Gears 3? Son, you have disappointed me, so I give you an order and you must follow it. PLAY THIS GAME RIGHT AWAY (if you have family or other games to play, just forget about them for now), because you will not regreat it. On XSX gears 3 looks good even today, and gameplay is beyond awesome (gears 3 has the most varied and beautiful locations in entire series).

I don't really like the Xbox 360 franchises at all really lol, Forza and Halo were good for a few years but they were played out. Sony Studios are just flat our superior. Xbox hardware on the other hand is a different story.

Last edited:
I love Ken and the PS3 but it was a mistake. A year later and $200 more expensive and a lot of the time outperformed by the X360.
I don't necessarily mean as an engineer but more so as a guy that could get hype around his products. People used to quote some really silly shit about the PS2 and the PS3 capabilities. That myth surrounding The Cell, BS or not, is still believed by a lot of people.

Banned
I don't necessarily mean as an engineer but more so as a guy that could get hype around his products. People used to quote some really silly shit about the PS2 and the PS3 capabilities. That myth surrounding The Cell, BS or not, is still believed by a lot of people.

the Cell chip has to be the most overhyped piece of hardware ever released lol
it's true that the PS3 would have been fucked without it, but that is only the case because the GPU that was in there was underpowered.

bender

What time is it?
the Cell chip has to be the most overhyped piece of hardware ever released lol
it's true that the PS3 would have been fucked without it, but that is only the case because the GPU that was in there was underpowered.

Ken read the winds of the industry wrong. It sort of reminds me of Crytek with Crysis thinking clock speeds would continue to grow instead of the multi-threaded future we were heading towards. The GPU was an afterthought in the PS3 so maybe it's more akin to Sony's version of the Saturn.

Banned
Ken read the winds of the industry wrong. It sort of reminds me of Crytek with Crysis thinking clock speeds would continue to grow instead of the multi-threaded future we were heading towards. The GPU was an afterthought in the PS3 so maybe it's more akin to Sony's version of the Saturn.

yeah, it was kinda crazy to think that the original plan was to have 2 Cell Chips, with them also handling graphics... like god damn, imagine if that system released, I think Sony's gaming division would be a goner by now.

apparently the studios were telling them that the best they can do with a Cell only console is HD PS2 graphics, and early showings were telling in this regard. look at the very first showcase where they had gameplay clips of Resistence... that game looked like absolute horseshit in those clips, and even the finished game was barely better than an HD Xbox 1 game in terms of graphical fidelity.
but Insomniac really turned that ship around last second it seems, I mean look at the 2005 fottage 😬

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
yeah, it was kinda crazy to think that the original plan was to have 2 Cell Chips, with them also handling graphics... like god damn, imagine if that system released, I think Sony's gaming division would be a goner by now.

apparently the studios were telling them that the best they can do with a Cell only console is HD PS2 graphics, and early showings were telling in this regard. look at the very first showcase where they had gameplay clips of Resistence... that game looked like absolute horseshit in those clips, and even the finished game was barely better than an HD Xbox 1 game in terms of graphical fidelity.
but Insomniac really turned that ship around last second it seems, I mean look at the 2005 fottage 😬

As crazy as it sounds, I still miss him. While Cerny was certainly the right choice to succeed him and going with more industry standard designs was best for almost everyone involved, console gaming is a lot more boring these days.

Banned
As crazy as it sounds, I still miss him. While Cerny was certainly the right choice to succeed him and going with more industry standard designs was best for almost everyone involved, console gaming is a lot more boring these days.

that is true, but still... like, the PS3 would have been their end if they didn't put in a traditional GPU in the last minute lol

I just wish that at least one of them would have Nvidia hardware in it... that would be at least some kind of interesting dynamic... and yeah the Switch has Nvidia hardware but, I mean xD

bender

What time is it?
that is true, but still... like, the PS3 would have been their end if they didn't put in a traditional GPU in the last minute lol

I just wish that at least one of them would have Nvidia hardware in it... that would be at least some kind of interesting dynamic... and yeah the Switch has Nvidia hardware but, I mean xD

I haven't kept up in the DLSS wars but Nintendo going with NVidia seems like the perfect marriage because of this. It, along with their art style, should help their hardware punch above its' weight.

Banned
I haven't kept up in the DLSS wars but Nintendo going with NVidia seems like the perfect marriage because of this. It, along with their art style, should help their hardware punch above its' weight.

that is in the future, but in the now it's boring AF xD
and yes, that will definitely come in handy, especially for a hybrid system

That is interesting. If the arcade hardware is literally a weaker version of the ps3 gpu architecture then I'm not at all surprised at how well the PS3 port turned out. You can see how well this works in the other direction, like the switch version of cruisn blast ; it's 1/4 the power of the arcade gpu but the same Nvidia Maxwell gpu, and the graphics cutbacks are pretty minimal considering.

That just convinces me more how much more went into, or how much less work needed to be done on PS3 vs. 360.

Your point about the unified ram on 360 would be valid, if it weren't for the fact that it's only on an 128 bit bus ; the bandwidth is less than half the combined 128 bit pools on ps3 effectively making it 256 bit bus vs 128. It's just that on PS3 it requires a bit of extra work to split work between the two pools.

The rsx gpu can use memory from the xdr pool as well as its own gddr3.

Basically if you don't use the edram on 360 it can't compete with PS3 bandwidth, but of course you're supposed to use the edram.

If vf5 didn't use edram, combined with the nature of the original arcade hardware then it's absolutely no wonder why the PS3 version is superior. Even if it did use edram, that's kind of a dream, perfect scenario for a PS3 port.

I think it's pretty, pretty rare for arcade hardware to be a lesser version of a console hardware, right?

Last edited:
To this day, for me, the PS360 era is the biggest console jump visually. 360 remains my most played console of all time with all its flaws and Halo 3, Bioshock, Gears of War, Mass Effect remain as my favorite games of all time. Eventually got the PS3 because of Uncharted as well

Such a magical time

Banned
To this day, for me, the PS360 era is the biggest console jump visually. 360 remains my most played console of all time with all its flaws and Halo 3, Bioshock, Gears of War, Mass Effect remain as my favorite games of all time. Eventually got the PS3 because of Uncharted as well

Such a magical time

the jump from PS1/N64 to PS2/GC/Xbox was way bigger.
if you had an og Xbox the jump to the 360 gen was not that big at first, but going from PS1/N64 to Xbox... that shit was on another dimension

many people back then were actually disappointed with the jump. they saw stuff like Doom, Chaos Theory, Riddick and Thief on Xbox and then saw the launch lineup for the 360 and basically said... "well that's just an HD Xbox..." and they were kinda right at first, but of course the scope of the games was way bigger than an OG Xbox could ever handle.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Bought the 360 on release - november 2005 I think it came out and bought a PS3 in late 2008., mostly for the Blu-ray player.

X360 were miles ahead on online play - just to be able to make a chat party and leave all the squealers out was a blessing.

Also the X360 handled multiplatform games better - higher resolution and better framerate in almost every game.

Back then 360 were the clear winner for me - today the PS3 is way more tempting to play around with - mainly because there's so many hidden gems, especially Japanese games never released here in the west and there's a lot of party/quiz games translated to Danish for PS3 that never were released on 360.

Great generation all-round.

Top Bottom