• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Star Citizen: A Next-Gen Experience In The Making... And You Can Play-Test It Now

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nice to see something positive and not so clickbaity from (relatively) mainstream media. Good layman terms explanations of some of the tech behind it and why it's impressive/innovative even if you *think* you have seen things like it before (you haven't). Just scratching the surface, but cool!

Edit: no wonder this won't get multiple pages of posts when the clickbait bs so effortlessly managed that.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

No mans sky is procedural, is this as well?

and if this comes to market and is actually worth playing, many gonna have to thank the whales and apologize to CR.

bitbydeath

This game won’t be anywhere near as good as No Mans Sky because they nickel and dime you every step of the way.

Want a good ship? That’ll be $10,000.

stranno

The FaceRig webcam thing is pretty amazing.

It recalls me the head-tracking feature of Wold War II Online, that ancient FPS-MMO with tons of players online.

Ballthyrm

They haven't run out of money yet ? /s
Belief is the only thing holding this game up.

Send your Thoughts and prayers everybody.

Fbh

Eh, honestly I haven't been following this game very closely but watching that video I don't see anything mindblowing.
Seems like they have spent a ton of time and money so that what other games hide with smoke and mirrors theirs does in real time, but at least the video doesn't really explain how it's actually making the game better outside of it being an interesting point of tech trivia.

I guess if it ever really accomplishes everything they are promising it might end up as an impressive game. But it seems like it's going to take them another 20 years while they keep focusing on making a real time simulation of your characters nose hair when you sneeze

Last edited:
Yes and no. It's going to have a few handcrafted star systems including our own. Planets are going to be procedural (like giant cities for example) with certain handcrafted elements.

Their procedural tech is far beyond what we got with No Man's Sky, so far nothing has looked goofy or out of place.

/edit
To prevent a misunderstanding. They create the planets with procedural tech, the planets aren't generated by the players in real time like in NMS.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This shit is as radioactive as blizzard to some gamers in the community xD

Trimesh

Banned
I was one of the early backers of this, but at this point I have completely lost interest in it. Mostly because of the way that the scope keeps on hugely increasing even though what was originally being promised as the core game isn't finished yet. It will be interesting to play if it ever gets finished - but I have this nasty feeling I might die of old age before that happens.

brian0057

Banned
Over $100 million and almost 8 years of "development" for some BS tech demos.
I've seen pyramid schemes less shady than this drivel.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
This game won’t be anywhere near as good as No Mans Sky because they nickel and dime you every step of the way.

Want a good ship? That’ll be $10,000.

Even now you can buy most of the ships in game with in game money

This shit is as radioactive as blizzard to some gamers in the community xD

True. Mostly because people just look cheap outrage despite not paying anything to it. From what i see most of the people who crowdfunded it are happy with state of the game and progress. Everybody knew from day 1 that this is not your typical game but state of the art space sim that will need time to be done.

They are close to finishing almost all central core gameplay system and server stuff which then will transform into rapid content development. Content right now is added sparsely mostly because gameplay tech is still developing and changing multiple systems for gameplay change would be huge task every update.

scalman

and if this comes to market and is actually worth playing, many gonna have to thank the whales and apologize to CR.
It has some procedural stuff there sure like on planet surfaces and such. But game was so bugy and so demanding on specs damn. So not sure how those changed. This game is very good to make amazing next gen trailers from it, but doesnt mean its all same when you play it.

Dontero

Banned
And how many years grinding does it take to get enough ingame currency to afford the best ship?

The biggest ships are multicrew which means you can't even pilot them yourself which means you have to have whole group of people working together to buy them and if you buy it yourself only for you other players pirate party can just steal it from you as you won't have ability do defend yourself.

Secondly ship progression is kind of the most important thing in space sim. If you can buy everything in a month it means game has about month span. Working for new ship IS the gameplay.

Part of reason why Elite is bad game is that you can pretty much buy Anaconda or other Top tier ships in first 20 hours. Once you do that there is basically nothing to do in game that griding some small upgrades.

From what i have seen prices are reasonable meaning that doing missions and stuff you can get money for new ship in few days, the pricier ships will require more work but at the same time if you switch to other ship or run in group it will be faster.

I mean that's great and all, but why do we need to be able to see stuff like a bullet in the weapon's chamber?

Sounds like unnecessarily increasing complexity to justify long dev time/crowd funding.

SweetShark

Even if I am not agree at all how much money still take with different tactics, Everything I saw in the video are impressive so far.
Also I am a big sucker for space armors so maybe I will buy the game in the future.

Tomeru

Part of reason why Elite is bad game is that you can pretty much buy Anaconda or other Top tier ships in first 20 hours. Once you do that there is basically nothing to do in game that griding some small upgrades.

Lmao. Seriously lmao. Elite a bad game. Sure sport. Pretty conving logic you got there.

You SC bots are amazing sometimes.
Play test away.

Which is why the game will never launch. The idiots that are pouring money into this are creating an absolute disincentive to ever finishing it.
I disagree. I think it will launch, but they're victims of both mismanagement and feature creep. They honestly didn't need to have every object in the universe tracked in the game. At this point if you blow up a ship you can recover a container that has a physical box in it, with physical objects within the box. The container isn't some array that you walk up to, press 'E' and manage it with some UI screen. You're physically moving objects into the container and that container is physically holds those objects. They're essentially trying to create a living breathing universe where everything actually exists in it and has some sort of use. They're overengineering it.

Jtibh

Banned
Star citizen is pc's playstation home.
Its fuckin pointless and other than the facial realtime tech that i would like to see as standard in certain games, nothing blows me away at all.
Sorry alex you have to pick a better pc master race example . You know like crysis half life 2 quake back in the days.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i didn't realize how far it had come. it's starting to take shape but it seems like there is still a long ass time to go before it's ready.

if it ever does come out development it could really be amazing. i'm not quite ready to jump in yet.

Dontero

Banned
Lmao. Seriously lmao. Elite a bad game. Sure sport. Pretty conving logic you got there.

You SC bots are amazing sometimes.
Play test away.

I spent nearly 90 hours playing it. Aside from getting best ship there isn't anything there and no "engineers" isn't great.

Yes Elite might be amazing space simulator of ship but as a game it is bad game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What a bag of shit.

Sorry but why have immense scale when you are limited to 60 people in an instance? A number that's not going to inflate much even after merging because the scale of player to world is so colossally out of whack. Oh and not to mention the prohibitive nature of the hardware requirements.

Honestly, content needs more than just the ability to rasterize assets to immense scale and detail to be meaningful. As NMS showed you can blow out in terms of scope and dimension but when filling that space the crucial limitation is the effectiveness of your procedural generation at creating unique and interesting experiences.

At the end of the day it all essentially boils down to a massively iterated version of randomized maze generation. Yes you can algorithmicaly ensure that every maze is solvable and looks slightly different, but it still only creating variations of the same functional thing. Its all basically the same, and being systemically authored has no consistent human touch to give it a consistent aesthetic feel and vision.

Top Bottom