• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Star Citizen: A Next-Gen Experience In The Making... And You Can Play-Test It Now

Dontero

Banned
What a bag of shit.

Sorry but why have immense scale when you are limited to 60 people in an instance? A number that's not going to inflate much even after merging because the scale of player to world is so colossally out of whack. Oh and not to mention the prohibitive nature of the hardware requirements.

If you didn't bother watching you should watch it because there is literally answer there.

TLDR: They are in midst of doing "server meshing technology" and "object contained streaming" which is second tech towards it is also WIP.

SMT gives ability for multiple servers to host single instance. Aka multiserver threading
OCS reduces A LOT amount of CPU work on single server as data is send and received in batches

Those two technologies are responsible for BOTH FPS and amount of people in instance. Once they are finished people will be able to play with a lot more FPS and with much more people.

Tomeru

I spent nearly 90 hours playing it. Aside from getting best ship there isn't anything there and no "engineers" isn't great.

Yes Elite might be amazing space simulator of ship but as a game it is bad game.

By your logic you seem to think that ED is all about the ships. It's a bad gran turismo/forza game - yes. Too few and nit much in the sense if upgrading. I am looking forward to more of your little "diamonds".

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If you didn't bother watching you should watch it because there is literally answer there.

TLDR: They are in midst of doing "server meshing technology" and "object contained streaming" which is second tech towards it is also WIP.

SMT gives ability for multiple servers to host single instance. Aka multiserver threading
OCS reduces A LOT amount of CPU work on single server as data is send and received in batches

Those two technologies are responsible for BOTH FPS and amount of people in instance. Once they are finished people will be able to play with a lot more FPS and with much more people.

I watched it all. And none of it addresses my criticisms.

The scale of environment to player-addressable content is so far out of whack its always going to be a mostly empty funhouse.

Stop parroting jargon and actually THINK about what constitutes enjoyment in a playing experience.

Romulus

I doubt the game will even be released on consoles, and if it did it wouldn't run 60 fps. Most games on next gen will again be a mixed bag of 30 and 60 fps

I remember people legit arguing that it would run on ps3 because of the cell. But that was before the devs came out and basically said "STFU, we doubt it'll even run on ps4."

ZywyPL

Banned
What I´m wondering is what kind of global ilumination, pbr, photogrammetry, volumetric effects, etc, are they using because it is starting to look old, pretty but old.

I thought I'm the only one who doesn't see this impressive - sure the native res, ultra high-poly models, and razor sharp textures are pretty much unique nowadays, but... that's about it. The game looks so sterile, so empty, should I say dead. It strongly reminds me of Doom 3 TBH, a 15yo title...

magnumpy

hopefully they can set a benchmark by which other titles will be judged. in other words this won't be the best and final game ever made, but this could set a benchmark which other next-gen titles could be judged against? ._.

Romulus

What I´m wondering is what kind of global ilumination, pbr, photogrammetry, volumetric effects, etc, are they using because it is starting to look old, pretty but old.

The new MFS looks more like a next gen game:

I mean yeah, but in ot of ways it's less ambitious than SC. There's no dogfighting, ground on foot and space exploration, multiple planets etc. But yeah MFS looks better.

15:28

Digital Foundry is cringe worthy.

557f6a6070.png

Also, I hate most of their videos. They exclude the PC version most of the time.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
I watched it all. And none of it addresses my criticisms.

The scale of environment to player-addressable content is so far out of whack its always going to be a mostly empty funhouse.

Stop parroting jargon and actually THINK about what constitutes enjoyment in a playing experience.

Video already explained to you that ~60 people instances if just current technical limit and that limit will go up a lot. I already explained to you that this is technical limit that will go up a lot once they finish what i was talking about.

Don't like it ? Just wait for 1.0 release like most of people who don't want to play early access games. You won't see only 60 people instances there.

buizel

Banned
God i hope this gets released proper. Next gen consoles would be shit hot.

I love space exploration games like this and elite/no mans sky.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Video already explained to you that ~60 people instances if just current technical limit and that limit will go up a lot. I already explained to you that this is technical limit that will go up a lot once they finish what i was talking about.

Don't like it ? Just wait for 1.0 release like most of people who don't want to play early access games. You won't see only 60 people instances there.

It doesn't matter because even with a WoW sized user-base (which SC is NEVER going to approach) you push out the size of the world space far enough it still will be mostly empty. Its about density, not real estate.

The point is that the game is cashing cheques with its marketing and technology that its gameplay cannot hope to cash.

There are good reasons why most open world games devolve to repetitive "go-to/find the marker" missions and generic events that are spawned within a radius of where the player is currently situated.

At some point the volume of space (literally in SC's case) becomes a problem in itself to be solved, the only option being to offer randomized systemic solutions because authoring such a humongous amount of bespoke content is an economic and artistic impossibility.

Upping the precision may make managing massive scale more computationally managable but it effectively adds nothing to the experience. Same deal as being able to look down the barrel of a gun and see the chambered round. Technically its a nice feat but in a ludic sense its utterly pointless.

And that to me is SC in a nutshell. Its whole slew of solutions to problems of its own creation. Its over-engineering for its own sake, not for fun or utility.

I came back to looking at this game with an open mind and literally ALL twitch streams and demonstrations outside of highly edited YouTube videos were FULL of horrendous bugs, lag, and broken glitches.

This is a scam.

Dontero

Banned
I came back to looking at this game with an open mind and literally ALL twitch streams and demonstrations outside of highly edited YouTube videos were FULL of horrendous bugs, lag, and broken glitches.

This is a scam.

What is released to public is Alpha not full released game.
It is not even Beta.

What is released to public is Alpha not full released game.
It is not even Beta.

Yeah. Honestly I'm sure this is a touchy subject to passionate supporters. I understand what I said could be perceived as antagonistic, but I'm not trying to. I think it's awful to see the game in that state still for this long. The same problems are there. To me that screams scam.

Dontero

Banned
Yeah. Honestly I'm sure this is a touchy subject to passionate supporters. I understand what I said could be perceived as antagonistic, but I'm not trying to. I think it's awful to see the game in that state still for this long. The same problems are there. To me that screams scam.

I mean you are not playing finished game. If you don't want to see bugs just wait for release version.

Top Bottom