• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] The Ascent for Xbox/PC: The Digital Foundry Tech Review

AnotherOne

Dj Khaled Studio GIF by VH1

CamHostage

Highlighting the water effects and destructibles kind of reminds me of how top-down ARPGs like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance were showcases of FX back in their day. Kind of a fun throughline to follow, and top-down really lets you stare at and enjoy cool effects. It's good to see high-spec work in that genre again.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Highlighting the water effects and destructibles kind of reminds me of how top-down ARPGs like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance were showcases of FX back in their day. Kind of a fun throughline to follow, and top-down really lets you stare at and enjoy cool effects. It's good to see high-spec work in that genre again.
Oh yes, started playing that glorious game last night on XSX through Retroarch, the water still impress even compared to modern games👌
lPeWxKy.jpg

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
  • Dynamic 4K on Xbox One X + Xbox Series X
  • Dynamic 1440p on Xbox Series S
  • Dynamic 900p on Xbox One S
  • 60fps with some slowdowns on Xbox Series X + S
  • 30fps only on Xbox One X + S
  • RT not available on Xbox Series X + S
  • PC : RT + DLSS (DX11 & DX12 options)
  • No plan for AMD FSR
  • Long loading time on Xbox One console (about 3 minutes).

• No plan for AMD FSR

So, i tested loadtimes on Xbox one X connected to T5 Samsung SSD (external) and loadtimes were around 1m:55secs. Initial loadtimes i meant.

So external is must if people don't have nextgen systems

Great Hair

Banned
All hail DF
Dj Khaled Dance GIF
comedy central truck GIF by Idiotsitter
fatty GIF

".. a showcase of what next system can offer..., the visuals on display, well see for your self"
10 seconds later

Why are they targeting 4K60 with custom high settings? and not 1440p+ with pc close to ultra? and John definitely needs to proof read what he writes before.

"mighty cpu power 1440p60fps" vs "slow cougar but 2x the pixel count@30fps"
"... ends up running a lot better .."

Guess the XBX could not run this at 60fps, according to John. Not at 1080p, 1440p ..
edit: just noticed, how low their views per video are.

Last edited:

martino

on pc i load ~in 10 sec max so far (first loading was ~15sec the other 6-8 sec)....(with 7700k and sata ssd)
if xbox use velocity i'm not impressed at all.

Last edited:
comedy central truck GIF by Idiotsitter
fatty GIF

".. a showcase of what next system can offer..., the visuals on display, well see for your self"
10 seconds later

Why are they targeting 4K60 with custom high settings? and not 1440p+ with pc close to ultra? and John definitely needs to proof read what he writes before.

"mighty cpu power 1440p60fps" vs "slow cougar but 2x the pixel count@30fps"
"... ends up running a lot better .."

Guess the XBX could not run this at 60fps, according to John. Not at 1080p, 1440p ..
edit: just noticed, how low their views per video are.

That's the problem to be CPU limited with such game. The one X GPU was nice, but it was clearly limited by its CPU since the start...

elliot5

Had a feeling that would be the case. PC GamePass can so ghetto sometimes :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Yeah idk what's up. I guess the Windows Store version is built off the unified GDK and bc there's no DLSS on console it's not available .. and they had a separate branch or build for the Steam PC version which cropped out the DLSS support. Idk why else that would be the case. Even though games like Control have DLSS available on Windows Store.

Skip the video & save your time, thank me later. Half of it is loading screens, then half of the other half is explaining 30 fps XB1 vs 60 fps XBS in many more words, with only about 2 minutes of some actually cool footage.
The worst thing is that the game still takes a very long time to load on the series consoles for some reason.

ss_lemonade

Anyone tried the PC version to see if the raytracing is working ok after what was mentioned in the DF article? Can't try it till later myself
I only just finished the prologue at max with RT and without DLSS (I didn't even know that it had DLSS) and only saw stutters during explosions. Nothing like what the video showed so far.

Shmunter

Imaging telling someone the X1X is more powerful than the XSS. Making them wait 3 minutes for this game to load is an eternity. I guess you can't trust haters on a forum to give good console purchase advice.
Better take it up with DF, vid itself said One X has more powerful gpu than Series S. 🤷‍♂️

Better take it up with DF, vid itself said One X has more powerful gpu than Series S. 🤷‍♂️
And he said the XSS had a much more powerful CPU which allows the game to run a 60fps vs 30. The only real advantage the X1X has is that it has more RAM. That means higher resolution, the one thing the XSS was designed to compromise. I wonder why you left out the important stuff? DF mentioned it but you did not...

Shmunter

And he said the XSS had a much more powerful CPU which allows the game to run a 60fps vs 30. The only real advantage the X1X has is that it has more RAM. That means higher resolution, the one thing the XSS was designed to compromise. I wonder why you left out the important stuff? DF mentioned it but you did not...
Wait, people have been saying the new gen has less cpu than last gen? Ahh ok, can’t believe you bothered taking that seriously enough to repeat it. Specs are well documented. Carry on.

Last edited:
  • No plan for AMD FSR
You missed worse frame dips on Xbox One S and X.

Played it all night on both PC and XSX (cross saves are great) and while the asset quality is obviously much lower than a big budget AAA game it all comes together beautifully and is definitely one of the best looking games I've played this year. I can see why John liked it.

Loading is faster on PC so obviously brute forcing it and not using velocity as my CPU is way above what's in the consoles.

Allandor

All in all I'm impressed that this small team delivered a good working version on all current xbox consoles.
The DX11 PC version is also working well, but DX12 ... I guess it is to much for that small team. DX12 is like Vulkan really much more complicated, because if you do something wrong the API won't stop you. And it is really easy to get something wrong if you can manage everything (DX11 done before).

Schmick

Wait, people have been saying the new gen has less cpu than last gen? Ahh ok, can’t believe you bothered taking that seriously enough to repeat it. Specs are well documented. Carry on.
I have read in the past people suggesting that people should buy the XBX instead of the XSS. Madness.

Edit: I should add that this was suggested for those looking for a 'budget' console.

Last edited:

SomeGit

I have read in the past people suggesting that people should by the XBX instead of the XSS. Madness.
That is the one thing I never understood.
I like lower end hardware and don't really think you need 4K120 to enjoy a game, but even I couldn't enjoy the last gen of consoles.
Exactly because of the low framerates due to CPU bottlenecks and how much games took to load because of the mech HDD/slow CPU combo.

The XSS even at a lower resolution is much much much better experience that the XB1X, like it's not even on the same ballpark.

Last edited:

GymWolf

In some locations, this game has more geometry density than ratchet space city, i'm really impressed.

To me, it honestly looks better than cyberpunk2077 or ff7 rerape (the last 2 cyberpunk\steampunk games i played). (except the characters, too plasticky)

Last edited:

Markio128

In some locations, this game has more geometry density than ratchet space city, i'm really impressed.

To me, it honestly looks better than cyberpunk2077 or ff7 rerape (the last 2 cyberpunk\steampunk games i played). (except the characters, too plasticky)
You typed that with a straight face, didn’t you?

Top Bottom