• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - The Touryst is stunning: Switch GOTY contender?

Fake

The technical geniuses at Shin'en Multimedia return with their best game yet. The Touryst combines cutting-edge technology with a genuinely fascinating game design. It's a beautiful piece of work - as you'll see right here in this video!

One of our favourite games from last year was Shin'en Multimedia's The Touryst - a game that looked quite unlike anything else and played beautifully. It's a simply wonderful experience and now it's available on Xbox One, Xbox One X and PC - and a technical masterpiece is just as good on more powerful hardware... with one or two caveats.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
That looks absolutely gorgeous. Definitely going to purchase it during the Christmas holidays.

Oh yeah, shouldn't Nintendo be thinking of snapping these guys up, pronto?

Pidull

D dark10x Thank you so much for doing a video on this game, I didn't even know it existed, but I love the visuals and am very appreciative of how you highlighted the work Shi'nen did on this game.

Nothing excites me more than hearing about little things developers do in order to improve their games. High framerate, fast loads, small memory footprint, and gorgeous graphics? Freaking incredible work for Shi'nen, buying this game for sure.

Saber

Gold Member
Yeah, I'm not actually impressed neither attracted to that game. I mean, seems like a prettier take on the version of those minecraft type of games, without the building part. I would say DQ is more charming.

But hey different takes, different tastes. Aways nice to see your videos dark10x. Keep up the good work.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It looks wonderful and definitely expertly made and super polished to perfection but does that elevate it among the most impressive engines on the platform?

At its core it seems to have rather small environments and an overhead camera that means not much is rendered in any single frame for one. Yes, it's packed to the gills with cool effects and lighting and modern techniques and what not, but that's also why it can drop resolution to like half to maintain its high framerate.

Also (one of) the tool(s) they used for modeling being voxel based doesn't mean anything outside said tool fitting their workflow and art style when they still convert to and render in polygons.

None of that is a knock on the end visual result or the game itself, it does all look wonderful, but maybe too much hyperbole in that single statement.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Finally a game to actually look forward to playing on my Switch. Didn't even know it was a thing.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
Played it for the first time today on Game Pass. What a gem. I loved it and I'll explore more tomorrow. Great game

Yo, that looks really good. I am impressed. I have seen some really nice looking games on Switch as well as on the Apple AppStore. I know people shit on "mobile" games, but some of them have great art direction and look absolutely great!

Last edited:

pr0cs

How is the game?. I saw in on Gsmepass but the game seemed so random, it kind of put me off.
It's okay, puzzle platforming adventure type game.
I honestly didn't know what to think about it but it grows on you with some fairly challenging sections.
Worth a shot on gamepass...
Biggest complaint is that the audio is a mixed bag, not much there to speak of.

MaulerX

How is the game?. I saw in on Gsmepass but the game seemed so random, it kind of put me off.

I honestly don't know what made me download it other than it was in the new releases section. Sometimes I try out some of these games and if I don't like it I just delete it.

But this one was surprising fun. You walk around, talk to people and do certain missions or things to move on to the next area. The environment is surprisingly interactive, like you can lie in bed, sit on a chair, turn the TV on climb and collect things etc....

T-Cake

It's driving me round the bend descending the mines. I keep falling off the rope. One minute he grabs it, the next attempt he doesn't.

crumbs

This is good game to get on GP vs spending $20. I played through it on the Switch last year and was underwhelmed. The game feels pretty shallow; there's a lot of mini-games, but most aren't interesting after a few minutes. Most of the challenge comes from the wonky camera angles during platforming parts.

Top Bottom