• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Nintendo think that previous Zelda games were too easy prior to BoTW?

-Zelda-

Banned
I recently completed the game, but it was so frustrating many times. I like this game, but lots of enemies hit like a truck in this game taking off large amounts of health. Never had this much trouble in a Zelda game before now. Especially since I focused on getting two stamina wheels before working on hearts. Without stamina, you can't explore to increase inventory size via koroks and shrines for orbs, but without hearts and monster parts for upgrading armor, you can't survive the exploration.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's only tough when a boss isn't as intuitive to figure out its weakness as previous games where you could see what you were supposed to do even if actually doing it was a bit tricky since it was generally a unique method for each. Otherwise it's a cakewalk like any other.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I have to make a confession, I actually don't like BotW. I can see how amazing it is, and what a marvel it is technically, but I just don't have fun with it.

It surprised me too, because I am a huge fan of most Zeldas. I'm gonna try TotK, but I won't buy it upfront like I did with BotW.

Kilau

Eventually, yeah. Through cooking.
So just like real life.

spicy tongue GIF

kunonabi

Just abuse cooking, deflect, and flurry rush and combat in botw/TotK really isn't that bad. Well as long as you have weapons to blow through anyway. Plus you get arrows and elemental attacks for easy stuns too.

They were. The lack of combat difficulty and to some extent puzzle difficulty was a large part of why I zoned out on Wind Waker and Twilight Princess and didn’t bother with Skyward Sword

Kataploom

Gold Member
Actually, that's the same issues baby had with BOTW at first, the game is very punishing for those that want to go and just swing a sword like they did in older games... But yeah, I haven't been able to beat a Hynox or whatever it's called in English because it one hits me each time 😂

Maybe you're right and enemies are buffed in tokt, but I wished they reduced their health, my problem with BOTW combat is actually enemies are too spongy

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I recently completed the game, but it was so frustrating many times. I like this game, but lots of enemies hit like a truck in this game taking off large amounts of health. Never had this much trouble in a Zelda game before now. Especially since I focused on getting two stamina wheels before working on hearts. Without stamina, you can't explore to increase inventory size via koroks and shrines for orbs, but without hearts and monster parts for upgrading armor, you can't survive the exploration.
It's not bad. Revisited OOT Master Quest last year and parts of that felt almost on par.

Fbh

Probably. And thank god they did because the lack of difficulty, annoying intro tutorials and constant reminders of even the most basic of concepts was one of the biggest issues with many of the older 3D Zeldas. It's like Nintendo always expected that 90% of the people playing a new 3D Zelda had never played another videogame in their life

Even though I still love Twilight Princess, I always disliked how it had so many cool moves you could learn, yet they were completely unnecessary to use against most enemies except for fighting the Darknuts near the end of the game.

The Darknuts were always the most fun to fight and I wondered why there couldn’t be more enemies like them or a game that centered around fights like that. Then I played Dark Souls later and that scratched that itch.

Granted Skyward Sword had more enemy encounters that took skill and were fun, the caveat being having to deal with the finicky motion controls that are fun when they work, but horrible when they don’t.

Pejo

Sounds like somebody hasn't been visiting their armor mommies.

zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-great-fairy-locations-glhf-5.jpg

I don't think I've died from combat more than 1-2 times in all the hours I've played. Boy do I wish the game had better targeting options for lock on in big groups though.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Majora's mask was tough as a kid that ominous music

MM was challenging? I'd say Link to the Past was pretty challenging, but not by much. Zelda 2 will always be there too.

MM not really.
I said mildly. It's probably the second or third most-challenging Zelda which isn't saying much but it's a heck of a lot above OOT where enemies literally take turns attacking you like in some 70s Kung Fu movie. The time mechanic can also add to the difficulty because you gotta manage it properly (not that it's hard to do). And it's also a lot more cryptic than most Zelda games so finding making your way through the game requires a fair bit more thought.

I suppose TP also has some legitimately fun enemies that can actually hit you like the Darknuts and that flail-wielding lizard in that ice palace. The Cave of Ordeal is also pretty difficult if you don't come prepared but yeah, of all the Zelda's I've played (most of them), MM is in the upper ranks in terms of difficulty.

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
Sounds like somebody hasn't been visiting their armor mommies.

zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-great-fairy-locations-glhf-5.jpg

I don't think I've died from combat more than 1-2 times in all the hours I've played. Boy do I wish the game had better targeting options for lock on in big groups though.
beat it and started a new game. Early game crushes you when you are just looking for shrines, towers, koroks. No money yet for donations. After leaving the plateau, I went for the wasteland to get those shrines because they are easy to find and get through. Will go to kakariko soon. Want to have as many koroks and Orbs as I can before so.

BlackTron

I have to make a confession, I actually don't like BotW. I can see how amazing it is, and what a marvel it is technically, but I just don't have fun with it.

It surprised me too, because I am a huge fan of most Zeldas. I'm gonna try TotK, but I won't buy it upfront like I did with BotW.
My exact thoughts on BOTW. TOTK is a masterpiece.

Personally I love how hard enemies hit in TOTK. Things feel dangerous. You can't just run around combat all willy nilly. It encourages you to think and use your tools/environment to make a plan. I feel like a pissant in a living, breathing dangerous world and I can't get too comfortable. For this and so many other reasons, at least for me right now, it feels like really being in a real time sim of Hyrule. The enemy variety is not what it once was, with the enviornment literally coming alive to stomp you or grab you from out of the ground. It's pure fantasy crossed with gaming in a way that is so awesome I can't even

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
The only Zelda game that felt challenging was Skyward Sword and that just because of the horrible controls, god I hated those.

GymWolf

The game is far from hard.
But sure, it is harder tham stuff like wind waker or ocarina i guess, i don't really rememeber how hard they were tbh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom