• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

did Sega improve the graphics for Panzer Dragon 1 on xbox?

i just unlocked panzer dragon 1 on panzer orta and started playing. the graphics look smooth and clear. this isn't how it looked on saturn right? i haven't played the saturn version in at least 6 or 7 years.

anyways this is simultaneously a question and also a promotion for orta, which i feel is an excellent game and can be easily had for under $10

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i havent played the orta pd1 in some time, but from what i remember (which admittedly, isnt much lately) it was an exact pot of the saturn one.

and about orta, its fucking awesome. it really reminds me of some of the stellar 2-d shoot em ups but translated into a 3d engine. i love that you have to take advantage of all forms throughout the level, especially when you need to constantly switch between them against some of the bosses. god, i hope their is a 360/ps3 sequel

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
No, the Panzer Dragoon port is very different than the original. The Xbox port is so low in framerate that it's almost unplayable at times when good precision is needed, while the Saturn version was smooth enough to never be a problem. The Xbox version is in higher resolution, though.

RiZ III

Yea from what I understood, its just a port of the PC one. That probably why they didn't include Zwei which was a much better game that the first one.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i just unlocked panzer dragon 1 on panzer orta and started playing. the graphics look smooth and clear. this isn't how it looked on saturn right? i haven't played the saturn version in at least 6 or 7 years.

anyways this is simultaneously a question and also a promotion for orta, which i feel is an excellent game and can be easily had for under $10

no, they did not. the Panzer Dragoon 1 that you unlock within Orta is a port of either the Saturn or PC versions, and not improved over the original Saturn release.

nitewulf

its graphically better looking as its much higher res, but yeah, the framerate is crappy. the saturn version is still the one to get.
you seriously didnt think the staurn version would be at such a high resolution, did you? jesus.

john2kx

If the one included in PDO was a port of the PC version, and the awful-looking PC version was slightly better graphically than the Saturn version......

The Saturn version probably looks like someone stirring shit with a spoon that maybe resembles a dragon.

man, those games did not age well. :(

Starfire

Good, someone else noticed the terrible framerate, I'm not crazy!!! I know it's been many a year since I first played the Saturn version, and it hasn't exactly aged gracefully, but I remember it playing alot smoother than choppy 15fps :lol

It does look great on the XBOX though, a great addition to an already great game.

nitewulf

john2kx said:
If the one included in PDO was a port of the PC version, and the awful-looking PC version was slightly better graphically than the Saturn version......

The Saturn version probably looks like someone stirring shit with a spoon that maybe resembles a dragon.

well actually the xbox port looks surprisingly good, very crisp port. low poly and all that of course. but im a PD whore...the art style is top notch for me, and PD still has the best soundtrack of the entire series as far as im concerned, so when the music kicks in as you fly over the water...its all good.

Barnimal

Banned
john2kx said:

i think the ports have something to do with the resolutions being different. outrun in outrun 2 looks really weird too. different than the shenmue 2 version.

ManaByte

Barnimal said:
i think the ports have something to do with the resolutions being different. outrun in outrun 2 looks really weird too. different than the shenmue 2 version.

Yup. Panzer PC ran at 640x480 with filtering. Panzer Saturn was lower res.

PD on Xbox is indeed the PC version. However, if you go back and play the Saturn version now (I still have my Saturn, complete with all the PD games) the frame rate is just as choppy. It's just that with all the shimmering, pop-up and loose polygons on the Saturn it looks like everything is updating more.

As for unlocking the game - there's loads of stuff to find in PDO and it's quite clever how it works... if you're really good at the game you're awarded with new unlockables, but if you're not so good the same unlockables become available through the amount of time you've played the game for.

Top Bottom