• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 | Review Thread

What scores do you think Dragon's Dogma 2 will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 66-69%

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 17 3.8%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 121 27.2%
  • 86-89%

Votes: 196 44.0%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 83 18.7%
  • 96-100%

Votes: 18 4.0%

• Total voters

phant0m

Dear god, this game isn’t even out yet, and you guys are arguing over performance issues already.

Sad Cat GIF
first time GIF

yamaci17

You think i was mad at you? :messenger_blowing_kiss:
"Take it up with capcom. i didnt make the game lol"

this is admitting defeat btw

he was talking about how the underlying systems are so advanced that they're the reasons that the game was cpu bound. now that it isn't the case, "take it up with devs"

this is why it is pointless to argue anything about with him, because once he is defeated, he will either move the goalpost or run away from the discussion like this

I called it anyways. it is unoptimized drawcall amount that is clogging a single thread. nothing less, nothing more lol

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Shitposting aside, the game looks incredibly fun in spite of the performance issues. I wouldn’t worry too much.
People are focusing all the rage in the game's performance, which to me means that the rest of the game must be issues free and fun as hell.

Adventure enjoyers sure are in for a treat, I hope.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
XSX and PS5 versions use RT for global illumination and run the game at 4K, at an unlocked framerate, which brings up the question : WHY ?
It makes absolutely no sense, why not have RT as an option (like RE8/RE4Re) and also offer a perf. or quality mode ?
Why not make US choose like usual ? Want RT ? Sure, enable it.What about res. Vs performance mode as to also have the game perform better ? Why not include the option/switch like, you know, 99% of games out there ?

Honest question(s) gents, i really, really don't get it as it doesn't make sense, maybe they didn't have to time and had to ship the game and they'll patch it later ?
Fook knows, what i do know though is that i'm going to get it this later since i have too much to play right now, plus, it'll be almost half the price by the time it's going to get patched/the PS5 Pro releases (although i keep reading that it's CPU bound).

Topher

Gold Member
They can, but here it’s not. There’s nothing insane about the game world or logic

Capcom had some early Framerate issues on RE4 and subsequent patches fixed them

You can’t patch a true CPU horsepower issue, but those cases are exceedingly rare

Almost the entirety of these issues are on poor optimization

If the game is pegging the CPU 100% then it is CPU limited. Whether that is because of crazy game physics or just shitty code, it doesn't matter. I don't see where Alex pointed to a reason for the game being CPU limited. Just that it was.

How are you saying the game isn't CPU limited without actually playing the game and seeing the impact on CPU yourself?

If the game is pegging the CPU 100% then it is CPU limited. Whether that is because of crazy game physics or just shitty code, it doesn't matter. I don't see where Alex pointed to a reason for the game being CPU limited. Just that it was.

How are you saying the game isn't CPU limited without actually playing the game and seeing the impact on CPU yourself?

If the reason is shitty code, then that’s not a CPU limitation

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
You spend more time dicking around with settings than playing the actual game, but let their OCD consume them and their time.
For me, it was OCD. Like, I have been diagnosed with it. And that’s why I had to leave PC gaming behind. I did spend more times in menus than playing games. And this generation has slightly brought some of it back with graphics options.

Buying PC components was getting out of hand. It was an unhealthy compulsion to buy the new thing, because it was slightly better. I can’t image the amount of money I’ve spent on video cards. Or how much RAM I have downloaded.

GymWolf

I got your ill thought out point just fine. Dead Rising is Capcom's last great zombie game and it trounces the likes of Dying Light and modern RE.
It's only ill thought for blind fanboys but sure, dead rising was fun, but i still take the superior movements, superior combat and superior atmosphere of dl1 every day of the weak.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Some reviews pointing out the game being as easy as the first one and not very long (50 hours including postgame?) has me kinda worried.

Last edited:

GymWolf

No, it's moronic. Just because a game has lot's of enemies doesn't automatically make them comparable.
Sure sure.

They are numerous models acting by ia line guides, you think the 20 npcs make elaborate strategies to beat the dragon, they get close and start melee him, from the footage avaialable the ia of the ncps doesn't look any better compared to the ncps of many other games, and in the city you can pick up people and throw them around without repercussion and the guard are super slow to react to things, you may wanna watch soms more footage before saying something stupid about the supposedly super smart ia of dogma 2 compared to other games that run and look much better.

Last edited:
Some reviews pointing out the game being as easy as the first one and not very long (50 hours including postgame?) has me kinda worried.

Heard it still feature hard mode, so I'm going with that. Never played the game on normal because in the demo for the original DD I thought it was too easy for my taste. Nothing wrong with it being on the easier side, DD never was meant to be a soul crushing experience. DD2 is only following suit.

TintoConCasera

Nothing wrong with it being on the easier side, DD never was meant to be a soul crushing experience. DD2 is only following suit.
Yeah you are right, DD1 is piss easy most of the time yet I ended up putting 250+ hours into that one.

Kacho

I remember DD1 being tough when I played it on the 360 back in 2012. I replayed most of the game on Steam recently and it’s butt easy. Hoping they add a hard mode in DD2.

Last edited:

Skifi28

People are focusing all the rage in the game's performance, which to me means that the rest of the game must be issues free and fun as hell.

Adventure enjoyers sure are in for a treat, I hope.
Everything about it looks incredible, I can't wait to get lost in its world to be honest. While I like open worlds like Elden ring ans Zelda, this is much more immersive for me.

TintoConCasera

Everything about it looks incredible, I can't wait to get lost in its world to be honest. While I like open worlds like Elden ring ans Zelda, this is much more immersive for me.
Grounded (or generic as some might say) medieval fantasy is 100% my jam, specially the japanese take which more often than not mixes it with Greek mythos stuff, like in Dragon's Crown or the old Capcom D&D arcade games. Imo we don't get enough games like this, and I too can't wait to dive into the game. The pawn chatter, the sound of the waves crushing on the shore, the sudden attack by wolves and the like. Peak adventure stuff.

bender

What time is it?
Edit: Meh, it's not worth to argue over this shit.

Bury your head in the sand then and continue retorting "Capcom fanboy" when my first post was obviously in jest. There are a lot of factors that go into the size and scope of a game (enemy variety, environmental dynamism, AI routines, etc.) that making simply comparing raw numbers of displayed enemies a silly comparison outside unless those games have similar aims like Dynasty Warriors and Nighty-Nine Nights.

SJRB

Gold Member
wait wait wait, where's homeboy that said there were complex, quantum level simulations going on in the background requiring supercomputer levels of compute? Come to realize, just trash optimization as suspected?
:pie_thinking:

Yeah the "poor performance is okay because there's so much simulation going on in this living world with all the monsters and NPCs" was retarded from the start.

GymWolf

Bury your head in the sand then and continue retorting "Capcom fanboy" when my first post was obviously in jest. There are a lot of factors that go into the size and scope of a game (enemy variety, environmental dynamism, AI routines, etc.) that making simply comparing raw numbers of displayed enemies a silly comparison outside unless those games have similar aims like Dynasty Warriors and Nighty-Nine Nights.
I bury my head in the sand because i know when a discussion is pointless, you think that dogma2 does something so heavy to make the game run like a turd, i simply don't, especially IA\simulation wise after seeing so many footage.

Your first post was in jest but you were lowkey shitting on horizon and DL because you probably don't like these games so they can't be good comparisons, and i just pointed out that i'm not gonna praise the game over others just because it's made by capcom, they are not gods that can't do no wrong, and every game is a good comparison when they do similar things, sorry if that is too aggressive to handle, my bad.

Let's just cut here, i'm gonna check by myself if the game actually does something so incredible to warrant such dogshit performances, i fucking hope it's the case dude, because if that single example from eurogamer is the best people can find, i'm not impressed in the slightest.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its basically a remake, and I assume one without the enhanced challenge offered by the original's Dark Arisen expansion.

SaintALia

Heard it still feature hard mode, so I'm going with that. Never played the game on normal because in the demo for the original DD I thought it was too easy for my taste. Nothing wrong with it being on the easier side, DD never was meant to be a soul crushing experience. DD2 is only following suit.
DD Hard mode isn't a soul crushing experience either. But it did add some replay value, especially once you get to grips with the gameplay systems. The difficulty in DD is really when you just limit yourself to what you can do, it's really easy to break the game even if you don't use pawns.

The actual gameplay and story throughout is kinda aenemic, but the Hard Mode, Ur-Dragon and BBI really stretched out that DA to something special.

GymWolf

Yeah the "poor performance is okay because there's so much simulation going on in this living world with all the monsters and NPCs" was retarded from the start.
The idea wasn't retarded at all, gta6 is gonna run at probably unstable 30 fps for that reason.

GymWolf

I remember DD1 being tough when I played it on the 360 back in 2012. I replayed most of the game on Steam recently and it’s butt easy. Hoping they add a hard mode in DD2.
Hard mode in dogma 1 was unbalanced, you get oneshotted for the first couple of hours before finding armours and getting some new skills etc, but after that you get showered in money and experience so the game get easier faster than normal mode with some weird spikes here and there.

Do we know if d2 has multiple difficulty modes or if it's like souls games?

Kacho

Hard mode in dogma 1 was unbalanced, you get oneshotted for the first couple of hours before finding armours and getting some new skills etc, but after that you get showered in money and experience so the game get easier faster than normal mode with some weird spikes here and there.

Do we know if d2 has multiple difficulty modes or if it's like souls games?
I heard people saying there are no difficulty options at launch. It will probably come later as DLC.

TintoConCasera

Is 50 hours really considered short these days??
Depends on the game. For this kind of game and what I expect out of it, main quest + side quests + postgame being just 50 hours is very short.

GymWolf

Bro they were taking about this game specifically when they made that comment about complex simulations.
I know dude, i had several discussions about that.

I think the "retarded" part was being absolutely sure that that was the reason for the bad performance even if they showed absolutely nothing of that in pre-release trailers, it was just blind faith.

But for example i'm not gonna have any doubt about the reason for the subpar(?) performances of gta6 because a 2 minute trailer showed stuff that no other game can even dream of doing.

GymWolf

I heard people saying there are no difficulty options at launch. It will probably come later as DLC.
Wait wait, now i remember, the game has adaptive difficulty, so it gets easier or harder depend on how you play, i completely forgot about that.

Curious to see how aggressive or sublte the whole thing is, i'm usually not a fan but if it make the game much harder, i'm all for it.

Last edited:

GymWolf

"Take it up with capcom. i didnt make the game lol"

this is admitting defeat btw

he was talking about how the underlying systems are so advanced that they're the reasons that the game was cpu bound. now that it isn't the case, "take it up with devs"

this is why it is pointless to argue anything about with him, because once he is defeated, he will either move the goalpost or run away from the discussion like this

I called it anyways. it is unoptimized drawcall amount that is clogging a single thread. nothing less, nothing more lol
You are too hard with the dude.

He may end up liking that aspect of you :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

Kacho

Wait wait, now i remember, the game has adaptive difficulty, so it gets easier or harder depend on how you play, i completely forgot about that.

Curious to see how aggressive or sublte the whole thing is, i'm usually not a fan but if it make the game much harder, i'm all for it.
that’s right. I remember hearing that. So it will be like RE4 remake.

Top Bottom