• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora PC - An Incredible Showcase For Cutting-Edge Real-Time Graphics

Zathalus

Personally I think it looks better then Horizon in some aspects, but worse in others. Horizon is the better looking game though and if the PC version has RTGI and reflections it would be the obvious frontrunner (it doesn't have that though).

GymWolf

Like, what the actual fuck is this?

HD Texture Mod on a PS3 game?

K4mU4Xa.png

Edit:

Okay, those bioluminescent nights are dope.
And I guess RT all over the place is the reason for those impressions, despite it being imo not impressive looking at all as a whole.
That geometry is just too blocky on a macro scale, and those plain ugly sharp shadows on water.. we've seen volumetric water shadows tech a generation ahead on some PS4 games.
Not all rockst looks like that.

The game has some low res assets like every game on the market, horizon has a lot of low res assets aswell.

You people know how much i shill for horizon graphic.

Also, this is a super rare example of a game that looks better live than cherry picked screens, i swear none of the screens in here looks as good as the game when you play on your oled (and it's the opposite 99% of times)

The game feel like a mix between forbidden west and tsushima.

Last edited:

Vick

Personally I think it looks better then Horizon in some aspects, but worse in others. Horizon is the better looking game though and if the PC version has RTGI and reflections it would be the obvious frontrunner (it doesn't have that though).
With RTGI and better LOD when flying? Maybe, based on what I've seen of Avatar (just the DF video).

As is, lighting in some occluded areas can be completely wrong in Forbidden West and look legit awful.

Not all rockst looks like that.

The game has some low res assets like every game on the market, horizon has a lot of low res assets aswell.

You people know how much i shill for horizon graphic.
Again, I was commenting the DF video only.

But no, I don't recall any rock formation at all looking like that in FW, even just because of far superior texture mapping and normal maps. That shit looks ghastly.
PBR also doesn't convince me at all, looks almost absent even. But one last time, just the DF video.

Last edited:

GymWolf

With RTGI and better LOD when flying? Maybe, based on what I've seen of Avatar (just the DF video).

As is lighting in some occluded areas can be completely wrong in Forbidden West and look legit awful.

Again, I was commenting the DF video only.

But no, I don't recall any rock formation at all looking like that in FW, even just because of far superior texture mapping and normal maps. That shit looks ghastly.
PBR doesn't convince me at all also, looks almost absent even. But again, just the DF video.
I'm sure slimy or the guys from the graphic fidelity topic can provide some pics of horizon with terrible assets.

With a 5 min search from a topic of cherry picked shots

Pretty bad terrain textures

FLuIsQ8XoAMbM5I

Mediocre rocks behind her back

horizonforbiddenwest_k2kec.png

Mediocre ground textures
horizonforbiddenwest_7hkah.png

Mediocre geometry on the statue
5fv7Qwj.jpeg

Mediocre rocks
FL6eVThXEAACXmQ

Bad rocks
rTpz4Lb.jpeg

And i can continue for an indefinite amount of time.

Dude i would kill to have only high res assets in games, but this gen is not the gen for that dream, even super strict games like callisto has a lot of low res assets if you look closely, open worlds have NO CHANCE.

I'm first and foremost an asset guy, i would not call avatar superior to horizon if the game had more low assets than that game, i personally prefer horizon because good models are super important to me, but i have to give credit to ubisoft for the overall package.

At the very worse they are on par overall, horizon win for the characters and water, avatar win for the locations, the difference is not that big of course and horizon is a 2 years old crossgen vs a fully nextgen game that has to run on a monster pc.
Horizon 3 is probably gonna destroy this game at the end of the gen.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
I'm sure slimy or the guys from the graphic fidelity topic can provide some pics of horizon with terrible assets.

With a 5 min search from a topic of cherry picked shots

Pretty bad terrain textures

Mediocre rocks behind her back

Mediocre ground textures

Mediocre geometry on the statue

Mediocre rocks

Bad rocks

And i can continue for an indefinite amount of time.

Terrible, bad, mediocre... really? There is nothing wrong with any of those pictures man. I bet someone could post up a load of actual real life photographs of rocks and statues, tell you it was from a PS4 game and you would bite and say it looks terrible and bad.

GymWolf

Terrible, bad, mediocre... really? There is nothing wrong with any of those pictures man. I bet someone could post up a load of actual real life photographs of rocks and statues, tell you it was from a PS4 game and you would bite and say it looks terrible and bad.
If you can't see the difference between the rocks i posted and the rocks that vick posted you need a new pair of glasses dude.

I'm only saying that it's easy to cherry pick inferior assets in open world games, unless you are blind or a fanboy of course.

Hell alan wake 2 that is a much smaller game has some shit rocks, trees and ground textures, it is not exclusive to horizon.

So you don't see the difference in geometry between that aloy statue and this statue, right?

Those are very good quality (still not pixel perfect) so compared to these, yes, the aloy statue looks mediocre.
See-These-Gorgeous-Unreal-Engine-5-PS5-Demo-Screenshots-3-1024x574.jpg

Just for the record, i'm the biggest forbidden west graphic shill in the entire forum (well maybe a bit under vick).

Last edited:

Vick

Yeah well, Horizon's not perfect obviously.

This pic however is the awfulness you get in games by playing with Photo-Mode focal length and then zooming in. It doens't look like this while playing.

Dude i would kill for only high res assets in games, but this gen is not the gen for that dream, even super strict games like callisto has a lot of low res assets if you look closely, open worlds have NO CHANCE.
For that, in Nanite I trust.

Horizon 3 is probably gonna destroy this game at the end of the gen.
They need to completely overhaul they lighting system first.

GymWolf

Yeah well, Horizon's not perfect obviously.

This pic however is the awfulness you get in games by playing with Photo-Mode focal length and then zooming in. It doens't look like this while playing.

For that, in Nanite I trust.

They need to completely overhaul they lighting system first.
Nanite is not gonna solve bad textures, i thought that aswell before someone opened my eyes on the real use of that tech.

They can just use the highest detailed assets at any distance and solve the problem of limited number of triangles\polygons for the geometry, you still need a lot of talented artists and fuckload of vram to have only super high res assets in a game, or one hell of a compression system that doesn't lose much quality during the compression of data.

Also, do we know if decima engine has something like nanite in its arsenal?

Last edited:

Knot3D

Perhaps the Avatar art style throws off my judgement here, but so far....none of the Snowdrop engine products have EVER wow'd me when it comes to visuals.

KXVXII9X

It looks really impressive in some areas but very inconsistent overall. It throws me off. It doesn't help that the game heavily follows the usual Ubisoft formula. Horizon felt that way too. Very pretty but couldn't get past the "been there, done that" feeling.

john2gr

You guys do realize that Crysis (yeah, the game we all love that was ahead of its time) had some truly AWFUL rock textures (even for when it came out), right? And the interiors of the buildings on the beach looked really flat (unless you used the cvars to tweak the AO). Crysis wasn't perfect and had a lot of graphical issues. It was still ahead of the curve though. If you play Avatar, you'll get the exact same feeling. And my God its wind physics effects look incredible.

Last edited:

SantaC

Horizon is too inconsistant. Avatar wins hands down.

GymWolf

Well now I'm intrigued.
How's the game buddy?

Top right Search "Most impressive game" by Member.. two minutes at the very max. But yet again, luckily I'm no retarded.
Great contribution to the thread though. :messenger_ok:
It's aggressively mediocre, i already unistalled it, not caring for avatar make everything worse.

If you absolute love the avatar brand give it a shot, i only payed 15 euros for a month of uplay subscription so i'm not overly sad about it.

Best things are the graphic, the movements and they nailed the bow.

Last edited:

Denton

Gave this game 10 hours and I can't take it anymore.

Graphics is nice, yes (although nights actually look like shit). Too bad the writing is aggressively terrible, quests are mindnumbing and game design is rotten.

I can handle Avatar movies (barely) since they take 2-3 hours.

I can't handle this.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah I mean, guess you have a point.

But still, I would rather have this level of density:

If it means I get this geometry:

horizonforbiddenwest_5wjnh.png

horizonforbiddenwest_xfjhb.png

horizonforbiddenwest_t5kwg.png

horizonforbiddenwest_ynj58.png

Or better yet, not having to choose at all as this above is PS4 game and the other a current gen exclusive running on a 4090 at future proof settings.

Nah, the foliage density in HFW is definitely behind Avatar. Avatar not only has more foliage, it has different kinds of foliage. Like literally dozens of different plants, grass, and trees in one area compared to maybe half a dozen in a HFW screen. HFW does do a great job masking its last gen roots but once you play Avatar it will become abundantly clear why its foliage is leagues ahead of horizon.

You can see it not just in your gif but in this screenshot below. Maybe 6 different types of trees, plants and grass at best.
F_U_ZoiWcAA3M1S

FUTDVQAXEAYKU2e

Here is a random area in Avatar.

HG5bf53.gif

ptOCgwb.gif

And while those particular rocks good in HFW, the rest of the game has severe issues with rock rendering and draw distance. I have covered it ad nauseum in the graphics fidelity thread. Its not a knock on HFW. its held back by last gen hardware, and it will be fixed when H3 comes out in 2027, but right now rendering rocks is not its strongest suit.

FMFvR8YXwAItxPw

FcenHWiWQAQ08UQ

FMFvSt7XoAQKzmI

FMOkGR5WUAckE6J

I dont have any footage of rocks and pebbles but they are also a leap forward. You can see it as soon as you look on the ground. I did a sky islands mission yesterday and the floating rocks looked stunning. Very highly detailed Just like those pics you posted of Horizon.

Horizon had its time. It held the title of the best looking game of the generation for almost two years, but Avatar has fixed all of its shortcomings while expanding of its strengths. GG didnt have the ability to design the game around next gen specs like Massive did. So the fact that HFW is even in the picture is an accomplishment itself. However, its clear that Avatar is a significant leap forward.

twilo99

:messenger_astonished: :messenger_open_mouth: Turned on AMD FSR3 and Frame Generation On and I'm getting 60-80fps most of the time with Ultra Qulaity Scaling in Unobtanium Settings on my 4090. I think this is the best way to play the game. Looks incredible fully maxed out and the input lag is negligible.

IGilno7.jpg

XrmNEXK.jpg

rLfN4Mu.jpg

kbwLdem.jpg

DLSS not supported?

GymWolf

Nah, the foliage density in HFW is definitely behind Avatar. Avatar not only has more foliage, it has different kinds of foliage. Like literally dozens of different plants, grass, and trees in one area compared to maybe half a dozen in a HFW screen. HFW does do a great job masking its last gen roots but once you play Avatar it will become abundantly clear why its foliage is leagues ahead of horizon.

You can see it not just in your gif but in this screenshot below. Maybe 6 different types of trees, plants and grass at best.
F_U_ZoiWcAA3M1S

FUTDVQAXEAYKU2e

Here is a random area in Avatar.

HG5bf53.gif

ptOCgwb.gif

And while those particular rocks good in HFW, the rest of the game has severe issues with rock rendering and draw distance. I have covered it ad nauseum in the graphics fidelity thread. Its not a knock on HFW. its held back by last gen hardware, and it will be fixed when H3 comes out in 2027, but right now rendering rocks is not its strongest suit.

FMFvR8YXwAItxPw

FcenHWiWQAQ08UQ

FMFvSt7XoAQKzmI

FMOkGR5WUAckE6J

I dont have any footage of rocks and pebbles but they are also a leap forward. You can see it as soon as you look on the ground. I did a sky islands mission yesterday and the floating rocks looked stunning. Very highly detailed Just like those pics you posted of Horizon.

Horizon had its time. It held the title of the best looking game of the generation for almost two years, but Avatar has fixed all of its shortcomings while expanding of its strengths. GG didnt have the ability to design the game around next gen specs like Massive did. So the fact that HFW is even in the picture is an accomplishment itself. However, its clear that Avatar is a significant leap forward.
Nah dude, pebbles on the ground looks like shit in avatar, they literally look like someone puked pixels on the ground, i said something about it in the GFT.
Other type of terrain looks decent but pebbles ground look terrible.

Ground details are no exceptional in any game yet, they are a low priority so no one is gonna waste resources on them.

Avatar also didn't expanded in what are horizon strong points like character and enemy models or water, they all look worse in avatar, nothing in avatar come close to the big dinobots in terms of geometry and microdetails (or animations).

This is one of the few important human in the game...

a_avatarpandorapedia_10_priyachen_1x1_2753_e2799379.jpeg

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Ok good graphics. Is the game good though?
Not great. Not terrible. Decent game. Typical ubisoft fare. Just a bit different and slightly more hardcore, but not in a good way. rent on uplay+ and see if you like it.

Nah dude, pebbles on the ground looks like shit in avatar, they literally look like someone puked pixels on the ground, i said something about it in the GFT.

Ground details are no exceptional in any game yet, they are a low priority so no one is gonna waste resources on them.
I will check it out today. You only see pebbles and rocks when you are next to the water and they looked fairly high res to me. 95% of the time, the game's foliage is blocking all rocks and ground level detail.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Not great. Not terrible. Decent game. Typical ubisoft fare. Just a bit different and slightly more hardcore, but not in a good way. rent on uplay+ and see if you like it.

I will check it out today. You only see pebbles and rocks when you are next to the water and they looked fairly high res to me. 95% of the time, the game's foliage is blocking all rocks and ground level detail

Nah dude, ground made with pebbles is everywhere.

And it looks super low res, like someone mashed those pebbles.

I swear there is a famous pic of modded crysis 1 or killzone shadowfall pebbles online that looks much better...

DanielG165

Yeah no, the world of Pandora is absolutely mind blowing here, and I’ve got to give credit where it’s due. Ubisoft genuinely has created a current gen as hell looking game with Avatar, and one that, as far as open world games are concerned currently, has no equal in terms of graphical presentation, density, and fidelity.

The interiors don’t look quite as good, but who really cares; they make up probably 5% of the overall game. The rest of it looks absolutely stunning, and the performance on PC is equally impressive. I’m managing to run it at 4K, high/ultra settings, with DLSS on performance on a 2080 Super, and the experience is pretty damn rock solid. The heat coming out of my machine is lukewarm at most, despite the GPU working to run the game.

It’s not only the best looking open world game out there right now, but it runs extremely well. I’m a lot more confident in Star Wars: Outlaws after playing Avatar. Also, the audio is genuinely some of the best I’ve ever experienced; everything you hear in the game is real, not fake or just there for fluff.

Last edited:

eNT1TY

Diminishing returns in full effect. I'm looking at these screenshots and all I can of think is... that's it?
We are nit picky here, even the "bad" games look quite good objectively speaking. Art direction carries a game's visuals further than tech, team talent and budgetary focus determines the overall visual presentation. So when i get a "that's it" moment it is mostly from my personal unrealistic and/or demanding expectations or just boring art direction; its usually the latter.

SlimySnake

They need to fix the wash out ambient lighting at night, the game looks amazing during the day.
yeah, i really disliked it in some spots.

if you have the LG OLEDs, try changing the fine tune dark setting. Look up GamingTech's video on it. it will help decrease the black level and make night time look a alot darker.

Some fantastic looking vegetation and foliage density/variety, but the typical, bland, generic, regurgitated Ubisoft gameplay loop and formula. I'll grab it when it goes on sale.

Crayon

Looks better than horizon to me. Not a world apart but a clear win.

It's really encouraging to see The limited Ray tracing ability of the consoles put to use, too!

Senua

yeah, i really disliked it in some spots.

if you have the LG OLEDs, try changing the fine tune dark setting. Look up GamingTech's video on it. it will help decrease the black level and make night time look a alot darker.
Yea I use this for HDR on PC it's way too washed out in full RGB

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Looks the same on pc and consoles

So it's resolution and fps difference on good pc. Other than that seems like a parity despite pc or it's hidden super ultra settings.

mrMUR_96

The water looks absolutely awful imo, ruins the look of the game pretty massively. The rocks and characters are very unimpressive too.

Top Bottom