• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora | Review Thread

Rockman33

Just started this on PC. And my god does the open world look amazing. Can’t speak to if it’s fun or will be fun. But initial impressions has my jaw dropped. Running on a 4090.

Was tempted to bump this thread myself, picked this up as I figured I'd enjoy the cosy setting and ended up blitzing about 35 hours and finishing the game over a week. It's fantastic, a bit of a slower burner for the first few hours and some of the systems and mechanics are not introduced very well, but once you get comfy with everything it's a solid open world game with a very unique setting.

The sad thing is looking at the achievement %'s it looks like a lot of users drop off quite quickly.

Last edited:

Rockman33

Was tempted to bump this thread myself, picked this up as I figured I'd enjoy the cosy setting and ended up blitzing about 35 hours and finishing the game over a week. It's fantastic, a bit of a slower burner for the first few hours and some of the systems and mechanics are not introduced very well, but once you get comfy with everything it's a solid open world game with a very unique setting.

The sad thing is looking at the achievement %'s it looks like a lot of users drop off quite quickly.
Beginning definitely feels a bit slow and kind of confusing were to go and how to effectively get there. I’ll report back once I get deeper.

Beginning definitely feels a bit slow and kind of confusing were to go and how to effectively get there. I’ll report back once I get deeper.

I think they intentionally want you to feel like your in an alien world, so it has these organic systems like how you travel around, how you use the plants, and how you hunt and craft materials, that they don't really provide a proper tutorial for until a few hours into the game. The first 2-3 hours can feel like it's really not gelling due to this, but I can understand the vibe they are going for in retrospec, being clueless about how to do stuff then slowly becoming a Na'vi, but they should probably put a disclaimer at the start like "you didn't miss the tutorial, we'll help you in a few hours if you still haven't figure it out"..

It's a shame when folks give up early on it, as it has some real "game of the year" moments, epic new landscape reveals, climbing the mountain to get your Ekron, getting the clans into battle against the RDA etc.

Last edited:

Freeman76

I got pissed off with trying to figure out where to go. It didnt feel like they did a good job with that at all, like it was more of a hindrance than anything. I like when games leave you to figure it out but they have to be designed well. This was just annoying, I was ready to give up on the journey to get the flying mount. Havent really touched it since getting it as the whole journey up annoyed me, especially so because visually and musically it was incredible. At one point I fell off and ended up waaaay down the mountain, and i didnt even know if was going the right way in the first place. Was probably easy for a lot of people but the vagueness of where to go grated on me a bit too much

hussar16

Yea just play it until the second phase with the plains. That's when I truly felt like this is a next gen game. I think the first area of the game with the jungle should have had a companion who followed you and helped you around etc .they really fumbled that begining part It was frustrating amd kind of dull a companion would have fixed it

Top Bottom