• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Doom Eternal's Ray Tracing Upgrade Analyzed - Best PC Settings + PS5/Xbox Series X Comparisons

ethomaz

Banned
nCx2CzH.gif
Upset?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Consoles being beaten by a 2060. Xbox looking the worst image quality wise. I hope Xbox has the best performance with vrs 2.0?

what’s going on here? Didn’t think these consoles would be beaten by a 2060 :(

Consoles being beaten by a 2060. Xbox looking the worst image quality wise. I hope Xbox has the best performance with vrs 2.0?

DLSS is pretty crazy especially since those GPUs only have to deal with 900P to beat the image quality on these consoles.

Now if these consoles had DLSS then the results would have been different.

Thankfully these consoles have access to good reconstruction techniques like Insomniacs TI for example.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
DLSS happened.

yeah, DLSS is a beast. I feel like it’s like this every Gen. We hype up consoles and pcs just come along and go “nah fam, we are still the top dogs in this bitch”

even mid range pcs are fucking up these consoles and we aren’t even a year into the Gen.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
DLSS is pretty crazy especially since those GPUs only have to deal with 900P to beat the image quality on these consoles.
It's definitely interesting, but it's still really not the same thing.
But the end result is all that matters, and that's what's cool about it

99Luffy

Banned
Is it just me or was there actually no console comparison in this video? as in an actual framerate comparison.
And he didnt use any 6000 series cards?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Is vrs 2.0 delivering better performance than the competition? It needs to offer a significant performance increase to warrant that softer image.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

This heavily depends on the game. These consoles are way more powerful than the previous two gens at launch. Besides, the 2060 is basically running the game at 900p-1800p whereas consoles are running at 1500p-1800p. we are looking at 2x more resolution.

In other games, like AC odyssey, the PS5 GPU outperforms the 2080. the XSX in Hitman outperforms the 2080. In Control, both consoles are on par with the 2070 Super.

DLSS 2.0 or DLSS 2.2 with DLL are all upscaling techniques and consoles will have their own versions of it. The PS4 Pro was doing checkerboard 4k back in 2016. A technique DF couldnt tell apart from native 4k unless paused and zoomed in. Would you say that the 1080 was beaten by the 4.2 tflops PS4 Pro GPU? Of course not.

The consoles also shipped with fantastic CPUs, top of the line SSDs and some killer I/O which will help with memory management and free up the CPU and GPU. They also cost a fraction of what these GPUs and CPUs are going for in this market. You want the rtx 2060? You are in luck. They are in stock. $500-700.

That's not from ebay or craigslist. The 2080 which is what these consoles are roughly equivalent to is going for a cool $1,000.

Shmunter

Disappointing console performance. I thought the RT iq on PS5 was subpar, but XsX is a joke with that clown vrs feature.

Edit: pc is reconstructed vs console native, explains discrepancy

Last edited:

Velius

Banned
___________ fans BTFO how will they ever recover
____________ Master Race lulz

Just fill in whatever you want and smile

When AMD's FSR is introduced to both consoles as another choice among many other temporal reconstructions techniques, like Imsomniac's, game developers will have a free (as in non-proprietary) fps boost option to implement on their games. Not every studio is Insomniac or getting help from support studios like Sony VASG, so at least there will be a DLSS alternative available. Then there is VRS which also helps albeit with a similar pro/con situation to FSR (loss of geometry detail) and also DLSS (ghosting). Then on top of that, there is VRR (coming to PS5 later).

Native resolution is a thing of the past and currently, the PC space has DLSS in its pocket causing it to have a leg up on the multiplatform games. But just look at R&C Rift Apart in Fidelity Mode at 40fps on a 120Hz screen and you will realize the consoles are no slouch, all it takes is the absolute best rendering technologies which can happen on consoles too.

VRS Tier 2 confirmed on Series X

It looks considerably worse than the PS5 version IMO:

ahYjshu.png

Wierd.
youch... this has got to hurt even more given that a Microsoft owne studio gimped the xbox version to make the PS5 look better!

Thankfully I got a PC and I play FPS games mostly on PC, these consoles don't hold a candle to my config.

That being said, the consoles are pretty good and I will probably end up playing most of my games on the PS5 for the next couple of years.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Not basing this on the screenshots in this thread but I hate VRS, every implement I've seen so far is either not perceivable but adds no perf gain or does add a small perf gain but for a big loss in texture quality.

They said it would be in areas where its so dark or the screen is moving so fast you wouldn't notice but half the time its just on a texture thats fully lit, needs more work.

FlyyGOD

None of these games are built using next gen features of the new systems. These next gen updates are just bandaids on older graphics engines. Wait until we get graphics engines and physics using the current gen feature sets like mesh shaders and machine learning.

hlm666

None of these games are built using next gen features of the new systems. These next gen updates are just bandaids on older graphics engines. Wait until we get graphics engines and physics using the current gen feature sets like mesh shaders and machine learning.
I'm not sure if your trying to say this will help the consoles gain advantage over the pc or the other way around, because the gpu released in 2018 in that video performaing well here has ML hardware and mesh shader support aswell. The ML hardware is a big reason that 2060 has put ps5/xsx on suicide watch here.

FlyyGOD

I'm not sure if your trying to say this will help the consoles gain advantage over the pc or the other way around, because the gpu released in 2018 in that video performaing well here has ML hardware and mesh shader support aswell. The ML hardware is a big reason that 2060 has put ps5/xsx on suicide watch here.
Im not saying the console will ever compete or come close to pc but some people are acting as if these consoles are already maxxed out before actually seeing games made specifically for the current generation.

//DEVIL//

2060 isnt as powerful as xbox or ps5. what the f people are smoking here ?

The only thing happening here is ray tracing sucks on AMD hardware. period. whatever its GPU or consoles.

a 2060 will never match the PS5 or PS5 in 2k or 4k gaming native. just because you added DLSS ( and I am the biggest DLSS fan out there ), doesn't mean the 2060 is better card.

However, the PC is the master race for things like this. the tweaks you can do to make the game superior to any console. however try and get a console with PS5 graphics for 400$ ( the price of PS5 digital) that can match the PS5.

Shmunter

The only thing happening here is ray tracing sucks on AMD hardware. period. whatever its GPU or consoles.

a 2060 will never match the PS5 or PS5 in 2k or 4k gaming native. just because you added DLSS ( and I am the biggest DLSS fan out there ), doesn't mean the 2060 is better card.

However, the PC is the master race for things like this. the tweaks you can do to make the game superior to any console. however try and get a console with PS5 graphics for 400$ ( the price of PS5 digital) that can match the PS5.
Surprising such a performance engine doesn’t have a built in reconstruction technique on consoles. They really should have put some work into it unless they are waiting on the free AMD solution.

Neo_game

Everyone knows they prefer Nvidia and DLSS just like most of us but they should have included RX5700 or XT. IMO it is not fair comparison with consoles as PC has a huge advantage when it comes to port, scaling or adding some gfx features like RT and obviously BC is no contest as well. It kinda makes console look bad but there is no point reading much into it. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
People don't seem to understand the purpose VRS exists lol. It isn't meant to be zoomed in on 400x. It achieves virtually no change in perceptible image quality while offering a bump in performance. Translation it's a win, win because nobody is playing the game while zoomed in 400x. Welcome to game development and its tricks. :)

why cant people not accept this above fact. :messenger_halo: :messenger_ok:
VRS is going to be great performance enhancing feature, as with DLSS.
400% in a fast paced fps like doom, mmkay.

Buggy Loop

Nvidia cards dedicate quite a lot of silicon for tensor cores and it’s absolutely part of its design philosophy along with dedicated RT. It doesn’t and shouldn’t run natively given the option if possible, that’s the point. Native 4K is a waste of rendering power that could be better used elsewhere, like oh I don’t know, some freaking anisotropic filtering so that it doesn’t look like poop? Consoles really need an AI upscaling solution, if AMD cannot provide, I sure hope for consoles players that Sony & Microsoft are working on an internal solution soon.

Last edited:

FlyyGOD

Has anyone else experienced crashing since the next gen update? I've been crashing back to the starts screen while playing The Ancient Gods Part One.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This heavily depends on the game. These consoles are way more powerful than the previous two gens at launch. Besides, the 2060 is basically running the game at 900p-1800p whereas consoles are running at 1500p-1800p. we are looking at 2x more resolution.

In other games, like AC odyssey, the PS5 GPU outperforms the 2080. the XSX in Hitman outperforms the 2080. In Control, both consoles are on par with the 2070 Super.

DLSS 2.0 or DLSS 2.2 with DLL are all upscaling techniques and consoles will have their own versions of it. The PS4 Pro was doing checkerboard 4k back in 2016. A technique DF couldnt tell apart from native 4k unless paused and zoomed in. Would you say that the 1080 was beaten by the 4.2 tflops PS4 Pro GPU? Of course not.

The consoles also shipped with fantastic CPUs, top of the line SSDs and some killer I/O which will help with memory management and free up the CPU and GPU. They also cost a fraction of what these GPUs and CPUs are going for in this market. You want the rtx 2060? You are in luck. They are in stock. $500-700.

That's not from ebay or craigslist. The 2080 which is what these consoles are roughly equivalent to is going for a cool $1,000.

yeah, but to be fair we have been saying for months resolution doesn’t matter but the final image quality should. If the final image quality on a pc with an RTX card at 900p is beating these consoles then that’s even more of a win imo.in performance too.

if the PS4 pro image quality and performance wise was beating a 1080 pc I would absolutely say it was a win for the pro but I don’t think the pro has ever won that battle.

I think this is an opportunity for PC to take a huge IQ and performance jump again in games that support DLSS 2.2, hopefully more and more devs use this amazing tech.

also comparing a gpu price right now is like finding a 1000 dollar to 1400 ps5 from a scalper and listing that. We should be using MSRPs to be fair.

but overall I get you. Some great points to think about.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
But what's the point of have a slightly higher resolution if it gets degraded like this. Fair enough if the Ps5 is bouncing between 50- 60fps often and the X is sold 60fps but I doubt it. Or maybe it would be more useful in 120 fps mode.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

yeah, but Is the performance paying off for the slight loss in image quality. Is the Xbox comfortably ahead of the ps5 here?

also, why isn’t the ps5 using vrs I wonder? (General question not to you)

I need to watch the video but I’m hung over in bed lol

Shmunter

yeah, but Is the performance paying off for the slight loss in image quality. Is the Xbox comfortably ahead of the ps5 here?

also, why isn’t the ps5 using vrs I wonder? (General question not to you)

I need to watch the video but I’m hung over in bed lol
PS5 may be using their own solution that is better at preserving iq.

Now here me out plebs before I get cancelled, PS5 has that bespoke GE and is all in on VR

PSVR2 has been touted at leveraging vrs like tech to better use rendering budget on focus areas and the tech may be getting deployed already without being obvious.

Last edited:

Md Ray

PS5 may be using their own solution that is better at preserving iq.

Now here me out plebs before I get cancelled, PS5 has that bespoke GE and is all in on VR

PSVR2 has been touted at leveraging vrs like tech to better use rendering budget on focus areas and the tech may be getting deployed already without being obvious.
Case in point.

Former PS5 principal software engineer

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Reinstalled this... Ugh I forgot this shit requires Bethesda account...
Runs 120fps 4k ultra nightmare with quality dlss but I think the game looks simple. And not very impressive. I still like 2016 doom more. Even graphically.
Oh and now that I have HDR screen, what's with the HDR options?! No calibration image and very weirdly named sliders.

And You can't even change the language to english without fucking around. How hard it would be to let me skip Bethesda account and also add language selector cmon

Last edited:
That's the problem, I find, with comparisons like this. It's a still of a zoom, of a zoom. But you fanboys love to point this stuff out when it favors your preferred plastic box... but who the F plays a game like this? During normal gameplay you'd never notice. Really at the end of the day... it's just for console war purposes! so dumb.

sinnergy

That's the problem, I find, with comparisons like this. It's a still of a zoom, of a zoom. But you fanboys love to point this stuff out when it favors your preferred plastic box... but who the F plays a game like this? During normal gameplay you'd never notice. Really at the end of the day... it's just for console war purposes! so dumb.
Anything that can boost performance like VRS 2 is welcome especially for future titels that hit the system hard … there is always trade offs to be made …

Anything that can boost performance like VRS 2 is welcome especially for future titels that hit the system hard … there is always trade offs to be made …
I think developers are good enough and smart enough to make up for VRS and will likely surpass VRS and whatever tech there is right now that "saves on performance" I believe in these talented people. All the fancy terms we're hearing today will have a counter part that won't get as much press and recognition. There's a lot of very smart and talented ppl making video games. In the end, no one will have a massive advantage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom