• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Forspoken Revisited on PS5: Better Visuals, Higher Performance... But What About The Game?

Damn, it's still $70. If it was $40 I would have got it out of sheer curiosity. Added to the wishlist.
If you're planning on getting Forspoken on PS5 check your local used market first. You should find it pretty cheap, maybe around $20.

The traversal in this game is good, in fact very good

It sure is, parkouring in Athia never gets old! I'll have to eventually come back to get the platinum.

What a thread title lol. Revisionist history and all that :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Game is pretty fun (traversal, exploration, magic combat and music) so if you can get it cheap you should give it a shot. Also, lmao at this being your first comment on GAF! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
secret hdr + oled sauce
if u dont have those u dont have rights to call a game ugly !
Absolutely most games look way better with HDR on Oled.
Looking at some of the sdr footage, it looks more flat in comparison.

Some photos, granted from release. THIS IS NOT A BAD LOOKING GAME.

KFAzpC3.jpg

pHxkVQB.jpg

4MReh6a.jpg

qdtScnO.jpg

BCUDa0m.jpg

NdmkR5o.jpg

H2sSOD0.jpg

Same places just as screenshots. You can compare yourself

Last edited:

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Didn’t have time for this at launch, won’t have time until the end of the year, but this sounds like a solid list of improvements to a game I already wanted to play. Hopefully there’s a price drop by the time I get around to it.

Valkyria

Banned
This game really rocks. Way better than what the reviews claim. It's obvious that reviewers didn't play for more than a few hours. Cue for 5 years where it will appear in every single hidden gem list.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Not interested in this game but this analysis is interesting for a number of reasons.

• Lighting and AO have been overhauled, AO especially seems much improved with crevices and cracks now being properly shaded
  • Lighting intensity has been increased, giving the environment more natural sunlight rather than the usual grey and drab look
  • Not all improved, however, for AO appears to be too intense in some areas, especially when it comes to foliage where it's too aggressive
  • This also results in a significantly noisier image in performance mode where moving foliage has very obvious artifacts it did not have before
  • Fog has been pared back
  • Hair lighting seems to have been altered with 1.2 exhibiting a strange grey shade in some scenes
  • Massive performance improvements. Whereas version 1.0 dipped to the low 20s in intense scenario in Quality Mode, it now mostly remains at 30
  • Same for Performance Mode. In areas where it dipped to the low 40s, it now remains mostly at 60 with the odd frame or two drops
  • 40Hz mode has also been improved, now it mostly remains locked to 40
  • Resolution also seems improved compared to the 1.0 version
  • Pixel count in Quality Mode now ranges from 1440p to 1728p vs 1152p to 1584p in 1.0
  • Pixel count in Performance Mode now ranges from 828p to 1152p vs 720p to 936p in 1.0
  • Overall, significantly improved from its launch and should have shipped like that
  • Still fairly unimpressive visually and compares unfavorably to FF XVI both in graphics and gameplay
In short, for people who were bothered by the uneven performance, it has been largely cleared up and for those interested in the game, now seems to be the best time to jump in.

Wow, amazing tweaks. How hot did this game launch? Crazy

WX3

I don't have a PS5. Bought the game on PC only a couple of weeks ago. I am having some fun with it, and it runs great on my system. But let me tell you, never before have I wished for a main character mute option in the menus. That bitch drives me nuts, and her fucking cuff is not much better!

Kakax11

Banned
I like the game and the very short DLC, but that girl cursing all the time is so annoying i just can't get back in there

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
Now if only they could fix the garbage writing and weak story. I wanted to like this game, but the mc is so insufferable, and not in the way that she grows beyond it, because she never does. At least she isnt ugly looking like Aloy and Abby, so that's something, thought it does not help her, so it does not matter in the end. Also hated the earth magic in the early areas of the game.

Last edited:

Tomeru

I dunno how cringe this take is, but imho, the combat in forspoken is much better than that shallow ass dancing in ff16.

damidu

so is this better to buy on pc or ps5 now?
will give it a try at some discount, gameplay always looked fun.

Mr Moose

Did the demo get updated too? Might give it a try again on my PC before I decide if its worth getting (probably wait until its below £30).

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Absolutely most games look way better with HDR on Oled.
Looking at some of the sdr footage, it looks more flat in comparison.

Some photos, granted from release. THIS IS NOT A BAD LOOKING GAME.

KFAzpC3.jpg

pHxkVQB.jpg

4MReh6a.jpg

qdtScnO.jpg

BCUDa0m.jpg

NdmkR5o.jpg

H2sSOD0.jpg

Same places just as screenshots. You can compare yourself

What it is with you and taking pictures of your TV?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What it is with you and taking pictures of your TV?
You cannot transfer HDR format screenshots from your ps5.
iphone takes hdr pics and converts them to sdr. at least this is a relative way to show how vibrant it looks in real.
Not the best way to show it but while some screenshots can look flat, it might not always be the case with hdr with your own eyes

SenkiDala

I know that it might not be a popular opinion but the time I had on the demo of Forspoken was better than all my playthrough of FFXVI and I'm at 80% of the game.

FF is my favorite series ever, I defended even FFXIII and FFXV to the core, like they are a part of me. But XVI is... Something else. Lame music, pathetic orchestration, shallow gameplay, no sense of epicness, pathetic characters, pathetic character design outside of 2 or 3 characters... The main quests are worst than the worsts side quests of the worst Bethesda game.

If it was not a FF game it would be at max 60 on MC, and nobody would talk about it, or just to say "ahah what a ridiculous FF ripoff".

I know I'm totally off topic but I had to say it.

I've yet to play the whole Forspoken game but from what I've played it was way more enjoyable.

Never ever preorder. But I have my doubts people have learned their lesson.

But after all inprovements still not interested in the game.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
Good news, I'm waiting for a bigger discount or it to be on PS Plus, liked the demo and now it seems even better.

tryDEATH

This game has potential to become a franchise if it goes the CP2077 route. The bones seem good, but it just lacks vibrancy in the open world and needs the world to be filled up and expanded in features.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I really liked the magic/combat system and the world traversal. I also like picking up "all of the things" so this really leaned into my ocd. ALSO....I curse pretty much every other word so me and the protag got along swimmingly.

I can also appreciate why folks would not like the game....take Starfield for example...that game is going to be a truckload of stinky dog shit for me anyway....but I understand why people would really enjoy it and will dump hundreds of hours into it.

Top Bottom