• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Forza Motorsport - PC Tech Review - Graphics Breakdown/Optimised Settings/Series X Settings

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Forza Motorsport launches 'day and date' on PC alongside the Xbox Series versions of the game, so just how does the PC version stack up? Alex Battaglia delivers the complete visual breakdown, compares Xbox Series X's visual make-up to the various PC settings in the game and delivers his own optimised settings, delivering a substantial performance boost over the maxed out experience.

00:00:00 Introduction
00:01:13 User Experience, Menus and Core CPU Issues
00:13:54 DLSS, FSR2, TAA and Image Quality
00:16:55 Xbox Series X vs PC
00:24:45 Alex’s Optimised Settings
00:27:33 Conclusion

Last edited:

GHG

Heavily reliant on a single thread and worse than Jedi Survivor in terms of CPU core scaling.

Good god.

Also 1000% agreed on the glaring issue of why this doesn't scale higher on PC, particularly in terms of the RT reflections and the absence of RTGI.

I don't understand what the hell they've been doing for all this time.

Outlier

Well I think it's not a surprise that the PC version is unfinished, broken (frequent crashes), and RT isn't impressive (to me).

However it seems installing the game has now broken any sound from my other games!!
EDIT: It's actually completely disabled all sounds on my PC and I can't find the volume source. WTF is going on?
EDIT 2: Nevermind. Damn system switched sound output. Man PCs are a headache some times. :pie_eyeroll:
But still...

FUCK YOU MS!
Angry Comedy Bang Bang GIF

Last edited:

Zathalus

Good to see no shader stutter, and a very quick compilation run at the start as well. Game scales rather nicely above XSX settings. Other then the bugs I think the only technical feature missing is RTGI.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Honestly pretty scathing commentary from Alex in the conclusion of this video:

"The game was shown off with much, much, much better RT reflections in the pre-release footage. And it even showed off RTGI, which is completely missing from launch.

Why is there not more useful quality knobs at launch for things like RT reflection resolution, distance, and RTGI? It is disappointing that one of the biggest visual improvements over consoles in the end ends up being anisotropic filtering.

CPU core scaling is worse than even Star Wars Jedi: Survivor."

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Does Turn 10 just not give a fuck or is it a lack of talent? How do they expect to build and maintain an audience with this?

Sounds like another rushed release to me. RTGI has been confirmed to be coming in the future, and I'll bet you any money we'll see much improved CPU core utilization and "Ultra+" type settings down the line as well.

Disappointing, to be honest. This should've been here at launch.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Heavily reliant on a single thread and worse than Jedi Survivor in terms of CPU core scaling.

Good god.

Also 1000% agreed on the glaring issue of why this doesn't scale higher on PC, particularly in terms of the RT reflections and the absence of RTGI.

I don't understand what the hell they've been doing for all this time.
6 years. Next gen consoles with 8 cores 16 thread CPUs as base targets. Doesnt implement multithreading.

My guess is that this game was made in 3 years and they were busy helping 343 with Halo infinite for the first three years like the reports suggested. missing maps, cars, and other features that were in previous games.

SlimySnake

My game runs 30fps with DF's optimized "midrange" settings.

Ryzen 5600 + RTX 3080

This game is a god damn mess.
upgrade your cpu to a 7800x3d or any 7000 series CPU.

i know you dont want to hear it but we saw the same thing in starfield. not every game is as well optimized on the cpu front as cyberpunk.

Try turning off RT altogether. I also have a 3080 but with a i7-11700k which has aged very well compared to zen 2 and zen 3 cpus. i will report back to see what framerates im getting.

artsi

upgrade your cpu to a 7800x3d or any 7000 series CPU.

i know you dont want to hear it but we saw the same thing in starfield. not every game is as well optimized on the cpu front as cyberpunk.

Try turning off RT altogether. I also have a 3080 but with a i7-11700k which has aged very well compared to zen 2 and zen 3 cpus. i will report back to see what framerates im getting.

I should upgrade but the DF settings are literally for 5600 so I don't know what's going wrong. The graphics settings work very randomly.
Even with RT off sometimes I get over 100fps, sometimes it dives to 30fps without any good reason.

What resolution and what level of DLSS?

4K output resolution and I've tried many DLSS settings from Ultra Performance to Balanced.
DLSS doesn't seem to do much anything and sometimes it randomly turns into FSR 2.0 and I can't get DLSS even visible in the menu.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I should upgrade but the DF settings are literally for 5600 so I don't know what's going wrong. The graphics settings work very randomly.
Even with RT off sometimes I get over 100fps, sometimes it dives to 30fps without any good reason.

4K output resolution and I've tried many DLSS settings from Ultra Performance to Balanced.
DLSS doesn't seem to do much anything and sometimes it randomly turns into FSR 2.0 and I can't get DLSS even visible in the menu.
Im pretty sure those settings/hardware aren't for 4K native - but it seems like that is probably what you are trying to push no matter what DLSS you have selected due to some kind of bug.

Killer8

Microsoft's Gen 9 Pro console, ladies and gentlemen:

BJxH4zR.jpg

Yes but pushing it higher than that is bringing much higher spec PC hardware to its knees.

This is Starfield all over again where people were disappointed about 30fps on the Series X but then the PC version's high requirements came out and suddenly it all made perfect sense...

SlimySnake

could you be running out of vram? did you restart after changing settings? alex said that it causes issues.

artsi

Im pretty sure those settings/hardware aren't for 4K native - but it seems like that is probably what you are trying to push no matter what DLSS you have selected due to some kind of bug.

Yeah I wouldn't dare to try on native resolution but the DLSS just doesn't work like it usually does in games.
I'd be fine with 1080p scaled to 4K output if it just worked normally.

could you be running out of vram? did you restart after changing settings? alex said that it causes issues.

I'm literally running out of everything lol, GPU usage is 100% and VRAM is filled sometimes even if I put resolution to 720p.
It doesn't seem right.

Tried restarting the game, I'm now reinstalling GPU drivers to force shader compilation again.

damidu

dlss is probably broken, its in their “known issues” list

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
For "FSR is just as good as DLSS" folks:

byCIQre.jpg
6Chii35.jpg
3z6mwRT.jpg
haLTUCU.jpg
When you have to zoom in so far that all of them look like crap and you are picking which one looks least crappy then it might not be the best example. Plus no-one ever says that FSR performance should even be used and no-one says that FSR is as good as DLSS just that it can look pretty much the same in some games at 4K quality.

But other than that - good point.

Bry0

Why do I Have to set my white point on pc to 5000 and on Xbox to 1000? Is this a normal thing? It feels like no matter what I do the game looks off on pc. It’s so annoying.

Last edited:

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Why do I Have to set my white point on pc to 5000 and on Xbox to 1000? Is this a normal thing? It feels like no matter what I do the game looks off on pc. It’s so annoying.
Run the HDR calibration app on PC to generate a profile for your screen, you should then notice similar values in games as on Xbox.

Bry0

Run the HDR calibration app on PC to generate a profile for your screen, you should then notice similar values in games as on Xbox.

I did, and oddly didn’t notice much difference after applying. I’ll have to try rebooting and making sure the profile is applied I guess

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
I did, and oddly didn’t notice much difference after applying. I’ll have to try rebooting and making sure the profile is applied I guess
If you switch screens often, you need to reapply the profile each time.

Every times I plug in my TV's HDMI to my PC, it's detected as a 500 nits TV instead of 1000, so HDR is not as good as when the profile is applied.
You may need to create a second profile to be able to switch it back, as even if the profile is selected, it can not be applied.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
For "FSR is just as good as DLSS" folks:

byCIQre.jpg
6Chii35.jpg
3z6mwRT.jpg
haLTUCU.jpg

Is there a single person on the internet that claims that FSR is as good as DLSS or are you just making shit up?

And those screens are Performance mode. Who the hell in their right mind uses FSR (or DLSS) Performance mode?

Last edited:

Bry0

If you switch screens often, you need to reapply the profile each time.

Every times I plug in my TV's HDMI to my PC, it's detected as a 500 nits TV instead of 1000, so HDR is not as good as when the profile is applied.
You may need to create a second profile to be able to switch it back, as even if the profile is selected, it can not be applied.
I was actually able to figure it out. I switched dynamic tone mapping on my LG from ON to hgig and now it looks similar to Dolby vision on Xbox. Didn’t even realize that was a thing. Ran the calibration again and it’s all good. Thanks for your help! Will keep that in mind about the profiles

Bojji

Those no way those kinda folks exist

Yep, I discussed with such people in the past here.

When you have to zoom in so far that all of them look like crap and you are picking which one looks least crappy then it might not be the best example. Plus no-one ever says that FSR performance should even be used and no-one says that FSR is as good as DLSS just that it can look pretty much the same in some games at 4K quality.

But other than that - good point.

Is there a single person on the internet that claims that FSR is as good as DLSS or are you just making shit up?

And those screens are Performance mode. Who the hell in their right mind uses FSR (or DLSS) Performance mode?

Quality mode screenshot would look better of course but essential problems like ghosting and fizzling on motion would still be there, just lees pronounced (maybe more ghosting with lower fps).

Point is, even at performance Dlss would look better than fsr in Quality...

AMD have some fucking unused ai hardware in rDNA3, they should make it work in machine learning version of FSR2 but looks like they don't care.

sendit

Everyone that owns a AMD card. Have you been living under a rock?

Last edited:
Top Bottom