• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Forza Motorsport - PC Tech Review - Graphics Breakdown/Optimised Settings/Series X Settings

Senua

Yep DLSS is very broken. Something is weird with the AA in general. I'm using DLAA which usually looks extremely clean but I still see a lot of aliasing

The standard TAA is just a blur fest, where TAA in Forza Horizon 5 looks fine

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Lvhv9pA.jpg

jnzTvHX.jpg

i7CKRHM.jpg

Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation

Horrible downgrade.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Basically single core from a flagship title/flagship developer.. Flat out inexcusable. Obviously rushed title, for some effed up gaas reason.

Like I wrote in another thread: I'm just gonna wait a few patches and updates down the line. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a technically (and content wise) solid title eventually, but it sure isn't right now.

Edit: Could sonygaf please F off.

Last edited:

Zuzu

Is the Xbox using FSR 2.0 along with TAA or is it just using TAA and DRS and allowing the TV to upscale the image?

Senua

Getting a very weird problem now. My game sometimes thinks I'm not using an RTX card so it shows me he FSR option instead of dlss. Fucking annoying I have to restart the game for it to show dlss again

ShakenG

Is the Xbox using FSR 2.0 along with TAA or is it just using TAA and DRS and allowing the TV to upscale the image?
The few video's ive watched, i dont recall hearing about FSR. But i do vaguely remember TAA and DRS being mentioned.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

This is why I am down on this game (as I keep playing it)

I kept hoping that reveal was just running on a beefy PC and thats what we were getting maybe even better after optimizations

But what type of NASA super computer were they running those early builds on?

I was wanting to see PC footage leading up to launch and I see why we didn't get that prior to launch

GHG

This is why I am down on this game (as I keep playing it)

I kept hoping that reveal was just running on a beefy PC and thats what we were getting maybe even better after optimizations

But what type of NASA super computer were they running those early builds on?

I was wanting to see PC footage leading up to launch and I see why we didn't get that prior to launch

There's nothing there that looks to be beyond the level of hardware we have available today on PC. FH5 shows this, the level of detail in the environment in the reveal trailer is not too dissimilar to whats in that game when played on PC.

My guess is that it was just a vertical slice (the one track and handful of cars shown) with specially touched up assets for the "gameplay reveal".

This sort of thing is all too common still across the industry. Watch the Avatar game look nothing like the initial "gameplay" trailer when it releases later this year.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
There's nothing there that looks to be beyond the level of hardware we have available today on PC.

My guess is that it was just a vertical slice (the one track and handful of cars shown) with specially touched up assets for the "gameplay reveal".

This sort of thing is all too common still across the industry. Watch the Avatar game look nothing like the initial "gameplay" trailer when it releases later this year.
I agree we see downgrades all the time but I thought if any game could keep that level up was a track racing game

When I played Forza Horizon 5 I would stop and look around and at times that game was gorgeous (to me at least) and just had hoped this new Forza would make that even better

Guess I just had hoped for too much but 6 years, 6 YEARS

That said I am still playing it and will for a very long time

GHG

I agree we see downgrades all the time but I thought if any game could keep that level up was a track racing game

When I played Forza Horizon 5 I would stop and look around and at times that game was gorgeous (to me at least) and just had hoped this new Forza would make that even better

Guess I just had hoped for too much but 6 years, 6 YEARS

That said I am still playing it and will for a very long time

If you're on PC and play with a wheel then there are other racing games you can play that excel visually and are better in terms of track accuracy (especially Assetto Corsa Competizione and Automobilista 2). Even Rfactor 2 looks great visually these days:

But those are more serious sims, and are really not suited to someone who just wants to hop in and casually play with a gamepad.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If you're on PC and play with a wheel then there are other racing games you can play that excel visually and are better in terms of track accuracy (especially Assetto Corsa Competizione and Automobilista 2). Even Rfactor 2 looks great visually these days:

But those are more serious sims, and are really not suited to someone who just wants to hop in and casually play with a gamepad.

I do play with a wheel most times but I am a pure casual and would get destroyed in a serious sim

I guess the hype got me yet again

Oh Man Reaction GIF by Bounce

DanielG165

9th generation gaming: The age of mostly downgrades and crap PC ports. Love it. I want to play FM so badly next week, but the PC is not in a good spot right now. Assetto Corsa Competizione will suffice until the game is hopefully patched sooner than later.

As for the SX settings: the RT doesn’t surpass me, honestly; these consoles aren’t good at it. The other low settings are a bit surprising, however. I guess RTAO and the high resolution is absolutely nailing the hardware? I know FH5 is cross gen, but it is currently (outside of RT during gameplay), a better showcase of the hardware than FM is, despite the latter still being a really good looking game overall. Either something is going on here that shouldn’t be, Playground Studios are just wizards, or both.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yep, I discussed with such people in the past here.

Quality mode screenshot would look better of course but essential problems like ghosting and fizzling on motion would still be there, just lees pronounced (maybe more ghosting with lower fps).

Point is, even at performance Dlss would look better than fsr in Quality...

AMD have some fucking unused ai hardware in rDNA3, they should make it work in machine learning version of FSR2 but looks like they don't care.
Here is probably the best comparison we might get:
z6jiwGl.jpg

At 4K quality to 4K quality FSR never wins but is pretty close or matches on a decent number of games. It's 'not bad' at these settings. 1440p or performance mode it starts looking real ugly for FSR.

Top Bottom