• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - GeForce Now RTX 3080 Cloud vs xCloud vs Stadia

Gaf told me cloud gaming is unplayable tho

Is geforce now something that can substitute having a gaming pc if gpu prices continue with the absurdity?!
Not really because a lot of games are simply not available on Geforce Now. Actually a lot of games seem to be available after all but I don't have details. Should work as a stopgap solution at least.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
So there's actually less input lag than a local console?
It depends which console:
97ezsdsjjhz31.jpg

(old stadia launch datas)

As you can see, if Series X or One X have a 60 FPS mode, it will beat Stadia.

On the other, a console with many 30FPS games like the PS4 will be beaten by Stadia because there are many 60FPS versions on Google's service:

Shadow of the Tombraider Xbox One S has 167ms input lag (30 FPS) while Stadia has 139 ms due to 60 FPS.
SOTTR
One X > Stadia > One S
16y7lgtala041.png

Late Stadia ports are not a shame but a relief since they have 60FPS ( even the Series X is 30FPS BC limited)

RDR2
Stadia > One X (30FPS cap)

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Gamezone Gamezone
Same for IQ, it depends of which console...
Doom1.png

One X > Stadia > One S > Switch (dynamic resolution with 576p drop)

We must also keep in mind that Cloud IQ or latency are improving every year. (after one year Doom Eternal on Stadia has now below 90ms of input lag)

Fat Frog

They limit how long you can play even though you're paying? That's some punk ass bullshit. No thanks.
Only on GFN. There is no limit on Stadia, PS NOW, Xcloud... but hey only Google is the devil on GAF...

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
And at these prices you still actually have to buy the games right? This is only for the actual server time to run your games and stream them to you, there's no game library included? Or is there?

Gamezone

Gold Member
It depends which console:
97ezsdsjjhz31.jpg

(old stadia launch datas)

As you can see, if Series X or One X have a 60 FPS mode, it will beat Stadia.

On the other, a console with many 30FPS games like the PS4 will be beaten by Stadia because there are many 60FPS versions on Google's service:

Shadow of the Tombraider Xbox One S has 167ms input lag (30 FPS) while Stadia has 139 ms due to 60 FPS.
SOTTR
One X > Stadia > One S
16y7lgtala041.png

Late Stadia ports are not a shame but a relief since they have 60FPS ( even the Series X is 30FPS BC limited)

RDR2
Stadia > One X (30FPS cap)

Impressive. So cloud can actually replace consoles to some degree once the right infrastructure is in place. That will take a lot of time to become world wide, but still fun to see.

Gamezone

Gold Member
And at these prices you still actually have to buy the games right? This is only for the actual server time to run your games and stream them to you, there's no game library included? Or is there?

Not with GeForce NOW. You are basically renting a powerful computer with a fairly limited library.

Fat Frog

What prices ? There are free tiers on GFN or Stadia.

Destiny 2, Bomberman, Hitman, PUBG are even completely free on Stadia, with no time limit, no hardware to buy and free online... (but yezh, you must buy games on Stadia. With GFN you must buy them on Steam, EGS, GOG)

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Impressive. So cloud can actually replace consoles to some degree once the right infrastructure is in place. That will take a lot of time to become world wide, but still fun to see.
Well 500 millions people already have the right connection to play GFN, PS NOW, Stadia or Xcloud. (30 to 50 MB are enough for fiber)

I also forgot China has an average internet speed of 90mbps... and i think Tencent will release a cloud service.

Last edited:

Ivan

I wonder how will they solve tearing... With vsync off, latancy is acceptable in best cases, but with vsync on it is much worse. Could they make this work with gsync/freesync displays somehow in the future, sending video is a totally different beast...

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Impressive.
Xcloud is actually a trojan horse for Micro... all cloud services:

GFN = "buttery smooth"
Stadia = "incredibly smooth"
Luna = "pretty good"

Why are Stadia and GFN seem so smooth ?

Simple. At 30 FPS, they feel almost like local Xbone S. (input lag is a little behind according to the datas)

Except, many cross gen games are running at 60 FPS on these services. (with the FPS boost the input lag is now lower than last gen consoles like X Box One S which are limited to 30 FPS for many games).

That's why so many gamers think GFN and Stadia are buttery smooth...

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
Well 500 millions people already have the right connection to play GFN, PS NOW, Stadia or Xcloud. (30 to 50 MB are enough for fiber)

I also forgot China has an average internet speed of 90mbps... and i think Tencent will release a cloud service.
I have 1000/1000 connection, and
Xcloud is actually a trojan horse for Micro... all cloud services:

GFN = "buttery smooth"
Stadia = "incredibly smooth"
Luna = "pretty good"

Why are Stadia and GFN seem so smooth ?

Simple. At 30 FPS, they feel almost like local Xbone S. (input lag is a little behind according to the datas)

Except, many cross gen games are running at 60 FPS on these services. (with the FPS boost the input lag is now lower than last gen consoles like X Box One S which are limited to 30 FPS for many games).

That's why so many gamers think GFN and Stadia are buttery smooth...

iCloud sucks on iOS regardless of FPS. I think Apple's decision to block their native app caught them by surprise, and their streaming codec trough Safari is crap and heavily depending on the CPU. Microsoft is aware of this, but I don't know when it'll be solved.

Top Bottom