• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Nvidia DLSS 3 Analysis: Image Quality, Latency, V-Sync +

Draugoth

Gold Member
TLDR:

• Works with V-Sync
  • Allows for 4K/120Fps
  • Some issues with DLSS conversion at high framerates.
  • Prone to some rendering issues like DLSS 2.0
  • Works better than DLSS 2.0

Nvidia's new DLSS 3 frame generation technology increases perceived performance to remarkable effect - but it is a first-gen effort with key improvements to come. In this video, Alex Battaglia answers fundamental questions about how to capture and analyse the technology and isolates challenges to test for in future game implementations.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Those capture issues are crazy. On the one hand, it seems surprising to me that there are no HDMI 2.1 120 fps capable capture cards on the market yet. But, on the other hand, that is a very niche case scenario.

I wonder if he could use a second graphics card to capture in OBS to take the pressure off of the 4090.

Tripolygon

Banned
And just like that the PC modding community comes in for the win.

NVIDIA DLSS 3 “Frame Generation” Lock Reportedly Bypassed, RTX 2070 Gets Double The Frames In Cyberpunk 2077​

From the poster.

DLSS Frame Generation doesn't seem to be hardware locked to RTX 40 series. I was able to bypass a software lock by adding a config file to remove the VRAM overhead in Cyberpunk. Doing this causes some instability and frame drops but I'm getting ~80 FPS on an RTX 2070 (I get ~35-40 FPS without Frame Generation and DLSS at Quality) with the following settings:

2560x1440 res

HDR off

DLSS Balanced

DLSS Frame Generation ON

Ray Tracing Ultra preset

Last edited:

A.Romero

Those capture issues are crazy. On the one hand, it seems surprising to me that there are no HDMI 2.1 120 fps capable capture cards on the market yet. But, on the other hand, that is a very niche case scenario.

I wonder if he could use a second graphics card to capture in OBS to take the pressure off of the 4090.

I think it's possible to offload displaying to a second GPU so I'm guessing it is possible but I don't think it would make a difference.

I agree with you: there is a very limited market for people who are able to take advantage of watching 4k/120FPS videos. I have the devices but I don't think I'd be willing to wait additional time to download them.

Hugare

NVIDIA DLSS 3 “Frame Generation” Lock Reportedly Bypassed, RTX 2070 Gets Double The Frames In Cyberpunk 2077​

[/URL]

From the poster.

DLSS Frame Generation doesn't seem to be hardware locked to RTX 40 series. I was able to bypass a software lock by adding a config file to remove the VRAM overhead in Cyberpunk. Doing this causes some instability and frame drops but I'm getting ~80 FPS on an RTX 2070 (I get ~35-40 FPS without Frame Generation and DLSS at Quality) with the following settings:

2560x1440 res

HDR off

DLSS Balanced

DLSS Frame Generation ON

Ray Tracing Ultra preset

Great to see it being bypassed so fast

Get fucked, Nvidia

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
When I see DLSS 3, I think back to that thread of that guy who turned on motion interpolation on his TV.

I also think of this too:

At the recent SIGGRAPH 2010, LucasArts coder Dmitry Andreev showed off a quite remarkable tech demo based on work he carried out during the development of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II. In a video demonstration running on Xbox 360, he showed the game operating at its default 30FPS, but then seemingly magically running at 60FPS - with no apparent graphical compromises aside from the removal of motion blur.

It's a demo that you can download and see for yourself right now, either in HD or else in a more bandwidth friendly standard def encode, with Andreev's original presentation also available to view. Two AVI videos (requiring an h264 decoder) are in the package: an original prototype, along with a further, more refined proof-of-concept running in the Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II game engine.

It's safe to say that it's impressive work that has generated a lot of discussion within the games industry.

On a general level, there's a reason why most console games operate at 30FPS as opposed to the more preferable 60: the more time a developer has to render a frame, the more complex and rich it can be. But what if a mixture of clever tech and exploitation of human perception could be used to create a 30FPS engine that looks like it's running at twice the speed?

Andreev and his colleagues have devised a system that gives an uncanny illusion of true 60FPS, and uses less system resources than its existing motion blur code. Swap out the blur for the frame-rate upscaler and you effectively have all the visual advantages of 60FPS for "free", as there's very little need to run full-on multi-sample motion blur if your game is already running at 60FPS.

Andreev first got the idea for the technique by studying 120Hz TVs that interpolate two frames in order to produce an intermediate image, producing a smoother picture. Software filters on some media players (for example Philips' Trimension as seen on the WinDVD player) were also considered. If this approach could be replicated within the game engine, an effect far more pleasing than most motion blur algorithms could be produced.

The proposed solution is a novel technique that combines the best of both high quality rendering at 30 fps, with the natural motion of objects refreshing at 60 fps with very minimal overhead in terms of memory and performance. The basic concept is to approximate the middle frame between what has previously rendered and what is currently being constructed and present it as the new “predicted” image exactly in the middle of rendering at a 30 fps rate, thus empowering a product to still “feel” as if it is refreshing at 60. Televisions use a similar trick to achieve refresh rates near 120 hertz. However, for video games, more information is present regarding the frames construction, such as depth and velocity, and creating the predicted frame can be significantly simplified. This proposed technique is important for all real-time user interactive applications to help guarantee that a very high quality of rendering is achieved, by allowing more time to construct a frame, but still refresh at a higher rate such as 60 frames per second on any display.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
ughh horrible artifacting. like dlss in general. I wouldnt use it unless absolutley needed to.

vpance

When I see DLSS 3, I think back to that thread of that guy who turned on motion interpolation on his TV.

I also think of this too:

Even recent Samsung TVs in the last few years have been able to interpolate fairly well with decent input lag (like 20ms) and not too much artifacting, so in game engine solutions should be able to much better for very little extra performance cost at this point.

vpance

Keep your FPS below the vsync limit or leave it off and the additional lag is very good

4.png

Last edited:

lukilladog

[/URL][/URL]

From the poster.

2560x1440 res

HDR off

DLSS Balanced

DLSS Frame Generation ON

Ray Tracing Ultra preset

It causes instability and drops even in 4000 series. The feature is not ready.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I find it funny that the main pc game. The pc gaming tech showcase. The most tested game... is Spider man game from 2018... ps5 game from 2020.
And cyberpunk too but I mainly see spider man :p
The state of pc gaming :p

About the dlss3 itself. It looks good in the video but I have a feeling it is something that has to be tested in person.
I would prefer lower input lag with less artifacts but it probably depends on the game.

skneogaf

Too many errors for me to be interested, especially if I have a 4090 as 4k 120fps is now actually possible.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Why would we even need to worry about vsync when we can just cap the framerate with Control Panel or some third party software.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
tl;dw, does a 30 fps game with generated frames to reach 60 or more still play like a 30fps game (and so quite horribly for something like racing or FPS or whatever) or not? Like, for example, all Doom sourceports have frame interpolation for high fps but it never feels like a proper high fps game.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
I dunno what to think of this. Unlike DLSS 2 which is a no brainer to activate wherever available version 3 seems like a bad choice for anything fast as you might get the fluidity of a higher framerate but not the reactivity.
I'd never choose this over DLSS 2 in a shooter f.e.

Top Bottom