• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Is It Really 'Too Big for Switch'...?

Alebrije

Skyward Sword launched on Wii in 2011.

Got its first port/remaster on Switch in 2021.

Nintendo can be weird. Hopefully they’ll do a port though, would be a shame if it was stuck on Switch for years.
My guess is that will be a wiiu/switch situation again...this game is what we call a system seller...something that these days is rare and you dont find on all videogame ecosystems.

Pretty sure those oled zelda swich will sell almost like pankakes

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Wait it uses FSR 1.0? That's fucking smart, well done Nintendo for branching out in the technology space. Could that be a glimpse into what the next "Switch" could consist of, with competent hardware making use of upscale technology?

I hope so! It's interesting that they used the AMD technology but that makes sense since the TX1 isn't hardware capable of DLSS, but I hope that means they're interested in the next console leaning heavily into DLSS 2/3 since that's huge for a portable

Wait but the output resolution is the same as before? What's the internal resolution?

Last edited:

Luigi Mario

Agreed. He's a coward. Probably got people on their patreon he doesn't want to piss off.
Only after being repeatedly asked if they (Digital Foundry) are going to cover Hogwarts Legacy, Richard clarified that he is taking care of the tech review. Battaglia and the rest of the crew were acting like the game didn’t even exist.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I'll get this game on Switch 2 for sure. Either the console will bump up the visuals of Switch 1 games, or it would make sense for Nintendo to do a port/remaster of this for Switch 2 launch.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Agreed. He's a coward. Probably got people on their patreon he doesn't want to piss off.
I wouldn’t call him a coward, he’s consistent in not really loving open world games and says in his review he wasn’t a huge fan of BotW, but prefers the more curated experience in TotK. People thinking DF taking a while to get Hogwarts was them pandering to the purple hairs are way off base imo

PeteBull

I wouldn’t call him a coward, he’s consistent in not really loving open world games and says in his review he wasn’t a huge fan of BotW, but prefers the more curated experience in TotK. People thinking DF taking a while to get Hogwarts was them pandering to the purple hairs are way off base imo
they luckily got rich as their chief, he is still og from the 90s so actually had enough sanity to cover the game properly himself, i bet if it wasnt up to him to decide they would pretend game doesnt exist(aka if john or alex were in charge :p )

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Which exists in other games, you just have been playing the usual suspects so long this seems new to you, instead of the industry cutting corners from going in the same direction. Which is what the problem is.
It exists in almost no other AAA game. Minecraft and Teardown are the other ones with advanced physics and world simulations. Games like The Witcher, Elden Ring, or Horizon are a farce compared to even BOTW. TOTK simply embarrasses them in that department.

Gambit2483

People need to remember that this is running on 2015 (or earlier) tech.

What Nintendo has managed to pull off, especially when other developers have done worse with less gears turning, is nothing short of a technical feat.

Damn near black magic.

Last edited:

phant0m

picking this up tomorrow, though i'm probably going to just go straight to playing it on my Steam Deck in Yuzu

What kills me about the tech conversation the most is not reviewers and tech experts, but gamers reactions to this. We always make concessions and excuses for Nintendo’s disappointing hardware. I am very excited to play this game but, the conversation just sucks. 720p and below is just 🤦‍♂️

PeteBull

What kills me about the tech conversation the most is not reviewers and tech experts, but gamers reactions to this. We always make concessions and excuses for Nintendo’s disappointing hardware. I am very excited to play this game but, the conversation just sucks. 720p and below is just 🤦‍♂️
Personally will wait till nintendo's next console/handheld and play proper goty/patched version then, even if its just resolution bump to native 1080p and 60fps it will be huge difference

Thaedolus

Gold Member
The fact that the game is immensely fun excuses the resolution and framerate, and the fact it’s a responsive and solid 30FPS keeps it from being a distraction.

I’d love a 120hz 4K version of course, but haven’t found myself too worried about that as much as where to go next

Fake

But 720p is just in mobile. The NS screen is 720p.
On docked the game runs at 900p. Will be probably looks crispy on the native oled screen.

Disco Dave

Hogwarts Legacy is the only open world game that Linneman has singled out as not wanting to cover under the guise of "openly despising open world games".

Its no coincidence that Hogwarts was also the only open world game that Era was actively trying to cancel because you couldn't identify as a toaster in-game.

Last edited:
Personally will wait till nintendo's next console/handheld and play proper goty/patched version then, even if its just resolution bump to native 1080p and 60fps it will be huge difference
I’m still going to get it regardless of the tech stuff. It’s not dropping in price anytime soon 😢
The fact that the game is immensely fun excuses the resolution and framerate, and the fact it’s a responsive and solid 30FPS keeps it from being a distraction.

I’d love a 120hz 4K version of course, but haven’t found myself too worried about that as much as where to go next
Yeah, that’s fair. I don’t mind if fans can look past the flaws. It’s not a deal breaker, but the double standards are driving me insane.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Its no coincidence that Hogwarts was also the only open world game that Era was actively trying to cancel because you couldn't identify as a toaster in-game.
Or it’s entirely coincidental because he also doesn’t like Harry Potter, and his reaction to people unjustifiably making this dumb connection was entirely warranted. I don’t think Hogwarts should’ve been boycotted, and I also haven’t bought or played it yet because I don’t really care much about it. So I empathize with someone who feels similarly about it being unfairly scolded for taking the “wrong side,” maybe he really just didn’t give a shit about it the same way I don’t. I’ll buy it if it’s on sale and I have nothing else the play.

PeteBull

6 years for basically the same environment with PS3 level graphics will make any developer competent
graphical phidelity/performance is one thing, another is optimisation, and most important thing- vision/playability/fun- thats where ninny devs excel, imagine if they had 12tflops xbox series x to work with, zelda would be 4k60 and still looked 3x better while still keeping same fun factor, the dream xD

Fake

Too bad I don’t have an oled. Probably should upgrade soon.

I mean, I do agree if you pretend to play on a 4k tv or even a Full HD TV will not look that great.

The LCD screen of Nintendo Switch is 720p, so there is no reason for the resolution on mobile being above 720p.

The LCD is OKish, but as John mention, looks much much better with OLED screen. Games with vibrant color plus cell shading looks to favor deep black levels from OLED screens, not to mention the nature of saturated color from games like MK8 and Pikimin.

Luigi Mario

Hogwarts Legacy is the only open world game that Linneman has singled out as not wanting to cover under the guise of "openly despising open world games".

His Twitter meltdown was pretty embarrassing.

I mean, I do agree if you pretend to play on a 4k tv or even a Full HD TV will not look that great.

The LCD screen of Nintendo Switch is 720p, so there is no reason for the resolution on mobile being above 720p.

The LCD is OKish, but as John mention, looks much much better with OLED screen. Games with vibrant color plus cell shading looks to favor deep black levels from OLED screens, not to mention the nature of saturated color from games like MK8 and Pikimin.
Huh? Wdym pretend to play on a 4KTV?

diffusionx

Gold Member
There's no double standard on Nintendo hardware. There's nothing we can do if we want to play their games legally. It is what it is. Other games get scrutinized/criticized more because there are more options and should be performing better.

Or it’s entirely coincidental because he also doesn’t like Harry Potter, and his reaction to people unjustifiably making this dumb connection was entirely warranted. I don’t think Hogwarts should’ve been boycotted, and I also haven’t bought or played it yet because I don’t really care much about it. So I empathize with someone who feels similarly about it being unfairly scolded for taking the “wrong side,” maybe he really just didn’t give a shit about it the same way I don’t. I’ll buy it if it’s on sale and I have nothing else the play.
I don't think this is the right place to rehash all this, but as I said back then, it's simply ridiculous to think that DF, which always comes out with analyses for big, multiplatform games, would completely ignore one of the biggest multiplatform games of the year, and also post absolutely no reason why anywhere. It's even more ridiculous to think that is the case because, umm, the guy who would do it doesnt like open world games or something. It just doesn't make any logical sense.

The fact that Richard ended up doing the analysis says it all.

Last edited:

Disco Dave

It's coincidental because Linneman has covered many open world games and his distate for them only came up at the prospect of covering Hogwarts - which will likely get a few GOTY nods.

He didn't mention that he despised open worlds during his Red Dead 2 coverage.
He didn't mention that he despised open worlds during his HFW coverage.
He didn't mention that he despised open worlds during his Valhalla coverage.
He didn't mention that he despised open worlds during his BOTW coverage.
He didn't mention that he despised open worlds during his TOTK coverage.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
It's coincidental because Linneman has covered many open world games and his distate for them only came up at the prospect of covering Hogwarts - which will likely get a few GOTY nods.

He didn't mention that he despised open worlds during his Red Dead 2 coverage.
He didn't mention that he despised open worlds during his HFW coverage.
He didn't mention that he despised open worlds during his Valhalla coverage.
He didn't mention that he despised open worlds during his BOTW coverage.
He didn't mention that he despised open worlds during his TOTK coverage.
He actually did mention his dislike of open world games and BotW in his TotK review but maybe I only know that because I watched it…

diffusionx

Gold Member
He actually did mention his dislike of open world games and BotW in his TotK review but maybe I only know that because I watched it…
it doesn't matter what he likes or dislikes, it's his job to cover it, how do I know this, because he is covering it lmao.

So why was this one "wizard game" singled out for non-coverage, it could not have been because he dislikes open world games because he covers open world games regularly.

Luigi Mario

Wow, this is simply awful. Look at this shit seriously. No progress in 6 years.

And the outside world is copy-pasted. You can hardly tell the difference when they compare the game to BotW.

10/10
The past few months have been pretty rough, I completely understand that.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
it doesn't matter what he likes or dislikes, it's his job to cover it, how do I know this, because he is covering it lmao.

So why was this one "wizard game" singled out for non-coverage, it could not have been because he dislikes open world games because he covers open world games regularly.
I just think it’s fairly ridiculous to assign to someone a position they’re saying they didn’t take, then say the position they say they actually have is a lie, then castigate them for it. He says he doesn’t like open world games, he reiterated that in the TotK review (making the point that he likes the game in spite of it, particularly because of the curated nature it has compared to BotW) and he said he really doesn’t like Harry Potter. He also said DF would eventually cover it, which it did. He was also really pissed at all the grief he got for it, and rightfully so. Just because you don’t want to play a specific game doesn’t mean you’re all in on one side of whatever the latest culture war bullshit controversy is the current flavor of the week.

Disco Dave

I just think it’s fairly ridiculous to assign to someone a position they’re saying they didn’t take, then say the position they say they actually have is a lie, then castigate them for it. He says he doesn’t like open world games, he reiterated that in the TotK review (making the point that he likes the game in spite of it, particularly because of the curated nature it has compared to BotW) and he said he really doesn’t like Harry Potter. He also said DF would eventually cover it, which it did. He was also really pissed at all the grief he got for it, and rightfully so. Just because you don’t want to play a specific game doesn’t mean you’re all in on one side of whatever the latest culture war bullshit controversy is the current flavor of the week.
Yet there is only one open world game he didn't cover.

cireza

The past few months have been pretty rough, I completely understand that.
Are you talking about you ? As far as I am concerned, I have been gaming a lot on Master System et Mega-CD since the beginning of the year, and it has been quite great.

Last edited:
I hope this game initiate a trend towards open world games filled with stuff to do and explore. The physics aspect is essential. It helps to create an emmersive world. A world in wich you can feel that you are standing on your own feet. Things react.

Gta 4 gave me that feeling. I want more of that!!!

Buggy Loop

Fucking Nintendo

They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

I didn't want to buy TOTK until Switch 2... i can't wait that long now.

How come they're so damn polished. Nearly bug free game right out the gate.

he also said he disliked the potter franchise in general because he felt it was 'for children'. so, don't anyone tell him that all those marvel/dc games fundamentally come from comic books...

technically speaking it's "not just a sharpening filter", sure. but practically speaking it's not really much more than that.

it does have the ability to look for geometry edges and smooth them while increasing their resolution.
but in practice it's just a slightly more sophisticated sharpening filter.

and it's also not really related to FSR2 in a technical sense, it simply shares the same name.

after being subjected to Jedi Survivor tho, I'd take a raw 720p with zero AA over FSR2...

just a reminder what FSR2 at lower resolutions looks like:
swscreenzoomxlfwx.png

it's like if you use a really low quality JPEG compression on an image 🤣
in motion it's even worse, because what you can't see here is the pixel fizzling in motion 🙃
Jesus. That image looks like it was printed on a kleenex.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think it was the combination of (a) nobody mentioning coverage of the game on any DF social media platform (usually they will at least throw out that they're testing game XYZ if it isn't day and date, (b) his ultra-pissy defensive attitude when people asked him about it, and (c) the fact that Richard covered it with no inputs from the team, the boss isn't usually doing these analyses anymore. All of which again is for a game that is likely going to be top 3-5 for sales in 2023. It doesn't really matter but it was a pretty bad misstep for a site that has been pretty spotless in terms of coverage and depth over the years.

Top Bottom