• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's Face-Off: Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition [PS4, XBO and PC]

mintylurb

I think the versions might be using different AA. PS4 might have MSAA or something similar and xbox FXAA, cause xbox version, while some objects look better then PS4, the overall image appears to be more washed out to achieve it. Would make sense, as FXAA is less intensive.

DF does hint at d3 ps4 using different post processing AA.
In certain places, x1 version does seem to have less aliasing but at the expense of slightly blurrier image. But we're really splitting hairs here.
iZCE5Djg1SOpA.png

p3tran

Banned
I think all third parties should beg to have their code optimized by microsoft, at least until they get a firm grasp on the use of the hardware.

my 2c's

Fredrik

Dips rarely occur only during massive rifts with 4 people and a shitton of effects on screen while online, in the offline gameplay i never experienced a slow down. PS4 version related.
Sounds great, PS4 it is then, I only play offline, and prefer using a controller.

stryke

I'm seeing the same amount of coverage in all pictures. The difference is in the lighting and how it behaves with the AA technique used.

No, there's still a saw tooth-like pattern that exists on X1, particularly in my first and third comparisons.

pixlexic

Banned
Looking at the edges more closely on the pics that DF have, I'd be more willing to say the AA cover is better on the PS4. I've selected some where it's a bit more obvious -

Top - PS4
Bottom - XB1

ib1FPmdhbTX4C2.png

iAXkEUV6SFLcp.png

iIgb9R9tEKqbD.png

iEiyXlUGpfq4d.png

ibtanG75CQ9cAM.png

iwBiJqXsuUZgJ.png

And the location where pixlexic was so interested in -

iZKBQEQYDg88P.png

i8itRedytmxgC.png

I'm not sure what can explain the differences in the last one.

It's not just that one area. I see a lot all over. I first noticed it around the lighted enemies.. then really bad on a large shield.

That same treasure chest in my shots is also really bad in motion.

Also post pics with hud pleasect he same area as mine.

I played a 4 player online match yesterday, plus I think they're were some hires, as there were some guys following us. It got pretty chaotic and frame rate was almost perfect for the entire ride. We did get a drop, but only when we got attacked by a nemesis, and there was so much shit going down. One of the teammates were killed too, but I didn't noticed whether she was killed before or after the drop. But it was still a very briefly drop, a little bit longer than what I usually see but very short too.

Xbone version, and still very happy with how the game performs.

I think all third parties should beg to have their code optimized by microsoft, at least until they get a firm grasp on the use of the hardware.

my 2c's
Better still, I think we should just stop wasting everyone's time and ask MS to write all of our software for us. Clearly, they're the real experts here.

B_Boss

What an amazing, amazing job Blizzard. I can't but wonder after reading the article if the PS4 could've been even better than it is currently for the console. Cerny for president.

ethomaz

Banned
I was reading the article again and the only part about AA was:

And as ever, Sony's platform runs at the full 1920x1080 native frame-buffer, backed up by what appears to be post-process anti-aliasing focused on high contrast edges.

It seems PS4 uses a different AA approach than Xbone... I remember that both last-gen consoles used 2xMSAA so I believe PS4 and Xbone are using 2xMSAA too but the PS4 have an additional post-processing AA.

My guesses.

Striek

So now the game has been out for a while its obvious you have to take these DF analysis' with some grain of salt. There are fairly big and sustained drops on PS4 at times in the end-game. Rarely, but there nonetheless. Eg. sprinting through huge mobs + elites with conduit buff can stutter quite badly for a few seconds. Its understandable, there is a hell of a lot more going on at these times than in 99% of the game, but its stuff that DF will never pick up on in games.

Radec

So now the game has been out for a while its obvious you have to take these DF analysis' with some grain of salt. There are fairly big and sustained drops on PS4 at times in the end-game. Rarely, but there nonetheless. Eg. sprinting through huge mobs + elites with conduit buff can stutter quite badly for a few seconds. Its understandable, there is a hell of a lot more going on at these times than in 99% of the game, but its stuff that DF will never pick up on in games.

I'm playing D3 on PC and even us are experiencing huge drops. Like 15-20fps drops from 100+ average fps.

Striek

I'm playing D3 on PC and even us are experiencing huge drops. Like 15-20fps drops from 100+ average fps.

Oh I'm sure its happens on all platforms. The game can actually get insane at times. Its too fucking awesome to care about, I more wanted to point it out as a statement on DF.

Top Bottom