• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Horizon Forbidden West PC vs PS5: Enhanced Features, Performance Tests + Image Quality Boosts!

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
A couple more screenshots on PC in 4K Ultrawide.
QhBpN3O.jpeg

VQue9cn.jpeg

V3caw6y.jpeg

srQbB4U.jpeg
Contrast and saturation sliders on 100.

Last edited:

zeroluck

Water physics is whatever, water rendering is one of the best in the business, especially the sea and waves.
Need proper water physics to get good looking waterfall and etc. Otherwise just bad reflection, SSR haloing against plants, it looks too inconsistent. Underwater is terrible as every other games, can we have ray traced refraction next gen? Haven't got to the sea yet.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It is but the story kinda sucks ass.

Enjoy though.
I have less time to play games so I use trainers when I can. I don't go extreme either just some fast leveling which I do anyways. I do want the challenge but don't want the struggle and time waste. It's worked out well while enjoying games on PC.

This will definitely get over games like this quicker which are far less interesting than something Like Infinite Wealth (to me).

GymWolf

Need proper water physics to get good looking waterfall and etc. Otherwise just bad reflection, SSR haloing against plants, it looks too inconsistent. Underwater is terrible as every other games, can we have ray traced refraction next gen? Haven't got to the sea yet.
Even without all of that i would argue it's still top 5 best water in gaming look wise and wave tech wise.

Sure as the fucking hell it doesn't look bad :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

evanft

Got the game up and running this morning. I have it set to 1440p max settings with DLAA and DLSS FG on my 4090. Seems to run perfectly. The assets and animation quality really shine with the improved AA and frame rate.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Has anyone booted up burning shores on their PC yet? Curious about performance difference between HFW.
No because you need to play the main story to unlock the DLC. Didn’t Frozen Wilds give you an option to start with the DLC?

Last edited:

UnrealEck

I'll never understand the fervent brand loyalty.
Especially for a company like Sony's PlayStation team made up of gender bureaucrats.

I always see price of PC mentioned too as if a PC is a rip off as it's only made for playing games on.

Last edited:

Gudji

No because you need to play the main story to unlock the DLC. Didn’t Frozen Wilds give you an option to start with the DLC?
No, you had to reach lvl 15 if my memory doesn't fail me. Then you could go into a specific spot in the map and start frozen wilds.

GametimeUK

Mods make PC far superior in all cases.
But the conversation isn't about mods. It was about Alex claiming than the graphics in the vanilla PC experience are far superior than the console experience.

Mod support has nothing to do with refuting that posters argument.

Last edited:
I know people chose to play on pc for a multitude of reasons, but i play on pc to play MUCH BETTER than console, so a port like this is utterly useless to me.

I guess it's a good port for people without a ps5.
The pc version here just looks like what the ps5 pro will run it at

The PC version has unlimited resolution and framerate. Unlimited. If you don't understand why that's a big deal - being that you are most probably a warring console peasant who will lord it over Xbox fans when your version of the game has a mere 5% performance advantage - I have nothing more to say.

It will already obliterate what a PS5 Pro could do with this game on a 4090. And guess what? Nvidia's next gen is right around the corner...
It’s saying on benchmarks with a 7800x3d a 4090 does around 70 fps on average at 4k I’d assume the ps5 pro will run Fidelity mode at 60 which is 4k mostly max settings so that wouldn’t be much different from a 4090

I hear you but we got a decent port. We really aren't entitled to more. It's awesome when they add new stuff like RT but if not, no big deal.

Which is what is most important. It's not a disaster like TLOU. It scales well enough above PS5 in terms of IQ and frame rates and is stable. All I ask is a game that runs well and looks at least as good as its console counterpart with unlocked frame rates, upscaling options, ultrawide, and frame generation. Anything more is an awesome bonus.
I feel like it mostly looks like the ps5 fidelity mode (with the option for different taa)

I wish they had included a PS5 settings preset like they did with the original.

Its hard to see why this game runs at just 43 fps on a 3080 when it ran at a locked 30 fps on a ps5.
I’m pretty sure on fidelity mode all the settings are max except for af and maybe draw distance

Those parts are old and the 2070S doesn't sell anymore as far as I'm aware. You can get something in the same ballpark like a 6700 XT (that's actually faster than the PS5's GPU). An entire build will run you $700-900. Nowhere near $1200-1500. At that price, you can get a decently specced rig that will most likely outperform the PS5 Pro.
Isn’t the pro expected to be about a 7800xt? Why would the 6700xt outperform it?

graphics look great, and im a bit fat graphics whore... but something about the world, characters, and gameplay

AOjW.gif
Combat against machines is great (it was even better in the first game IMO). But yes the rest is underwhelming notably the incredibly uninteresting world. And the game is super woke, obviously, but that wouldn't be a problem if gameplay, characters and world were interesting.

GametimeUK

I tried this game on PS5 to get a look at the graphics and that's about it. I never spent any time with it.

But I must say on a 4080 at 4K DLSS dynamic resolution / performance mode this game looks great.

Getting between 90 and 120fps along with the breathtaking visuals. It's up there along with Alan Wake and Ratchet & Clank as the best looking games I've ever played.

Great port, but frame generation causes stutter / screen tearing for me :(

DeaDPo0L84

The pc version here just looks like what the ps5 pro will run it at
People always solely focus on "looks". PC is more than just a few graphics sliders. It's also the fact that it can be run at much higher framerates and has mod support. You can say those things don't matter to you and that's perfectly fine but I dont get why people have to downplay advantages due to preferring a certain method of playing a videogame.

DeaDPo0L84

And by the way this $650 PC thing is getting on my nerves....

It's just theoretical talk to dump on consoles by the Master Race cult....

Too bad the PCMR builds $3000 PC to feel good about themselves...
Bro some of you people seriously need to log off and get back to just enjoying videogames. All this name calling and being so insecure cause of videogames is legit embarrassing. Some of you remind me of when I used to visit gamefaqs, grow up a bit.

Last edited:
People always solely focus on "looks". PC is more than just a few graphics sliders. It's also the fact that it can be run at much higher framerates and has mod support. You can say those things don't matter to you and that's perfectly fine but I dont get why people have to downplay advantages due to preferring a certain method of playing a videogame.
At 4k max settings your not getting super high frame rate the 4090 can only manage a 70 average which is not gonna be that different from the ps5 pros expected 60

DeaDPo0L84

At 4k max settings your not getting super high frame rate the 4090 can only manage a 70 average which is not gonna be that different from the ps5 pros expected 60
Bro I have a 4090 playing @ 4k ultrawide and it never dips below 100fps. You're also literally just pulling info from your ass, you're out of your mind if you think the PS5 Pro is going to be 4090 level, and this is coming from someone who is going to buy one. I swear some of you fanboys go way too hard for this nonsense.

Zathalus

The 4090 can’t do 4k 120 here it’s 4k mostly 70-90
The 120 I was talking about was with frame generation enabled.
The PS5 Pro will not be powerful enough to do native 4k 60 in this game. It will require PSSR to do so (which will be fine). But a 4090 with DLSS Quality is around double that, or higher with frame generation.

Bojji

It’s saying on benchmarks with a 7800x3d a 4090 does around 70 fps on average at 4k I’d assume the ps5 pro will run Fidelity mode at 60 which is 4k mostly max settings so that wouldn’t be much different from a 4090

You are reaching here dude.

PS5 is able to run this game in native 4K - 30FPS
PS5 Pro that is supposed to be 45% more powerful will run it in - 44FPS (or 49FPS if that 63% GPU TF power update can be fully utilized)

On Pro graphics 40FPS mode will run in native 4K vs 1920x2160CB that it's running right now.

I saw benches in VH mode that is above high mode that PS5 is using:

QOTCVeU.jpg

Last edited:
The 120 I was talking about was with frame generation enabled.

The PS5 Pro will not be powerful enough to do native 4k 60 in this game. It will require PSSR to do so (which will be fine). But a 4090 with DLSS Quality is around double that, or higher with frame generation.
I didnt know we were counting frame gen cause I thought the implication of yo ur statement was native frames. Really don’t see why the pro won’t do 4k 60 (I’m speaking about a dedicated patch) in this game it probably will cut it close and maybe a occasionally drop but it really should be able to do 55-60. I think pssr 2 will be applied to the performance and balance modes

Bojji

I didnt know we were counting frame gen cause I thought the implication of yo ur statement was native frames. Really don’t see why the pro won’t do 4k 60 (I’m speaking about a dedicated patch) in this game it probably will cut it close and maybe a occasionally drop but it really should be able to do 55-60. I think pssr 2 will be applied to the performance and balance modes

Because it won't be powerful enough, we are talking about 100% more power needed to render this game in 60fps instead of 30FPS PS5 version in native 4K.

This console will be at best 63% more powerful but Sony claims 45% in real world, it's far from 100% isn't it? Plus memory bandwidth increase is rather small, 4K oriented GPUs usually have around ~720GB/s or more (960GB/s for 7900XTX) to feed GPU the needed data, Pro will have just 576GB/s (shared with CPU). Not to mention that RDNA3 have large L3 cache (infinity cache) and Ada cards have large L2 cache, nothing like that on Pro.

You are ignoring the data and making shit up or what?

Last edited:
Top Bottom