• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's Face-Off: Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition [PS4, XBO and PC]

Wynnebeck

Banned
lol no..they put the PC game on it at the highest settings. Why would they add to it just because there is more power there? that doesn't makes sense.

Then what sense does it make for MS to tell Blizzard to take the game from 900p to 1080p if the game was already technically sufficient at 900p?

Kugar77

Getting this on ps4 wasn't on my radar but hearing all of these good reviews, now I don't know what to dooo. I'm afraid I'll get bored of it super quickly. Maybe I'll just wait for it to show up on a ps sale

pixlexic

Banned
Then what sense does it make for MS to tell Blizzard to take the game from 900p to 1080p if the game was already technically sufficient at 900p?

huh? thats a totally different situation. MS saw they could get the game up 1080. but nothing was changed to game itself.

PS4 can play the game on the highest setting at 1080p. There is nothing more that could be done to it besides adding more to the game itself.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
lol no..they put the PC game on it at the highest settings. Why would they add to it just because there is more power there? that doesn't makes sense.

Do you "lol" without thinking?Does the PC version have various AA options? Are the consoles are using cheap FXAA? A trade off of performance for better AA might be interesting.

I found this in their comments, I recognize the name too, he's from B3D.

Yes, I was puzzled by the PS4 comment too. Diablo III: RoS is running at identical settings to the maxed out PC version with identical assets and the highest resolution and framerate possible on consoles so short of using downsampling (pointless in a game of this type) or MSAA (which the PC version does not support in its options) then there's no way the PS4 can be stressed more. Well, at least solo...

... because we are still none the wiser as to how the consoles fare when there's four players on-screen in a particle heavy, multiple enemy skirmish because DF never once considered including an analysis of that in any of its three articles!!!

So if their is overhead, they could internally render at a higher res (the PS4 Lego games do this), this is a type of AA. Or the frame rates plummet later in the game and the overhead is needed. If so God help the XB1 version.

jem0208

So PS4 Diablo III is one of the few console games that is 1080p and locked 60 fps?

Forza 5 is.

Wolfenstein kinda is, but isn't...

Anyway, seems like the bump to 1080p on the X1 was a good idea after all. If the drops are imperceptible the increase in res is welcomed.

Blizzard explained their method for stress testing (4 witch doctors coop lategame) and they go with solo barb in act1 and 2 story mode, again.

pixlexic

Banned
Do you "lol" without thinking?Does the PC version have various AA options? Are the consoles are using cheap FXAA? A trade off of performance for better AA might be interesting.

I found this in their comments, I recognize the name too, he's from B3D.

So if their is overhead, they could internally render at a higher res (the PS4 Lego games do this), this is a type of AA. Or the frame rates plummet later in the game and the overhead is needed. If so God help the XB1 version.

from what I see the consoles both have better AA implementation than the pc version ( without forcing it) which is not selectable.

ive played through the game on xbone and now going through on ps4. the xbone had no noticeable frame dips.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Would have like to see some Lego like super sampling for the PS4 version. Or some added AA.

This game benefits so much from uber clean IQ.

I solo'd most of this game on launch(day) but never beat it. Wondering if I should double dip and couch coop this with a friend.

p3tran

Banned
This doesn't seem like a very exhaustive test...

actually it reminds me of nfs rivals test, where they talked about a perfect 30hz framerate.
apparently, they did not go very far into that game.......

thing is, given how exhaustive are some other things they spot and make a fuss about,
I tend to believe that they showed only what they wanted to show for nfs, and again I am pretty sure that nfs was not the single occurrence of this.

So are you saying the console versions can't handle that?

I'm pretty curious how they would hold up. The game is not a looker so the beginning of the game is stressing nothing. Elites in the test have like 1-2 prefix out of 4 (dependant on lvl), and the characters don't have later skills or gear to spam.

The game dips pretty hard on PC if you group with a darklight crusader spamming fist of the heavens and I have 15 fetishes out, dog, garg, and spamming toads with rhen'ho flayer + 2 others in the party.

The game is 1080p and 60fps the vast majority of the time. Very rarely it goes below that, and even more rarely it actually hits 52fps. This is better performance than the vast majority of games reach these days. Yet we've got people suggesting Blizzard was strong armed into this unfortunate situation. lol

During this test. Testing the performance on anything less than Torment difficulty is pretty much pointless. Preferably they should be playing with 4 players as well.

Take the test they did for the 360 and PS3 versions. That test doesn't show that the game grinds to a halt during the craziest parts.

Here we have a quote from the 360/PS3 Face-Off:
Digital Foundry said:
The very first battle outside the New Tristram gates brings this to the fore quite visibly, and also drags the frame-rate down to the lowest point possible on either platform. Even with the absence of v-sync, the PS3 produces a sustained 40fps as the enemy horde rises from the outskirts of the town, generating an uneven sensation while moving our Barbarian character. The 360 fares much better here overall by bottoming out at 50fps with likewise tearing.

Fortunately, this is an exceptional case reserved for this opening section, plus some of the more extravagant boss battles such as the run-in with the Skeleton King. While overworld areas like the Old Ruins and Cemetery of the Forsaken play out with occasional dips to varying degrees on either platform, for the majority of the dungeon-crawling experience the game delivers on the 60fps promise with zero tearing.

That's laughable and shows off how flawed that test was. Those versions do not run anywhere near 60 fps during late game.

zedge

Maybe DF have not played far enough into the game to do a face off with these stressful levels? When they do perhaps a new one will be released.

How much of the game are these levels anyway, percentage wise?

Maybe DF have not played far enough into the game to do a face off with these stressful levels? When they do perhaps a new one will be released?

How much of the game are these levels anyway? Percentage wise?

Depends on what kind of player you are. If you plan on spending most of your time while you're level 70, then you'll rush through the lower difficulties so that you can get to the fun stuff. If that's the case, then we're looking at maybe a few % of your game time will be spent on the lowest difficulty. It's hard to say exactly, but it won't be much and it's completely uninteresting for someone like me to know how the game runs at such an early part of the game. That's really not where I'll be spending the majority of my time.

No, it's become "a developer said this, and I think that means this" issue. People doing their very best to spin a quote into this very negative narrative.
Dat spin! It's really more of a, "Some developer said this, and I do/don't believe them," issue.

In all my years of reading and following the video game industry, I don't believe I've ever heard of a third party developer being forced to change the technical makeup of their game. Yet we get this one quote which could easily be interpreted a number of ways, and lots of people have chosen to interpret it in the worst possible way.
Perhaps you have a short memory, or simply weren't paying attention, but Ubi implemented gesture controls in the PS3 version of EndWar but they needed to "slip it past Microsoft" because they were expected to deliver "feature parity."

The feature didn't make it in to the PS3 version, for the record.

Chobel

As others have mentioned, DF should have done more stressful tests especially that some of these tests are part of the normal gameplay sessions (4 player loacl Co-op, later levels, higher difficulties...)

As others have mentioned, DF should have done more stressful tests especially that some of these tests are part of the normal gameplay sessions (4 player loacl Co-op, later levels, higher difficulties...)
Agreed. I may PM dark10x to see if we can get a followup of some sort. Maybe Blizzard can even provide them with some late-game saves, to save DF the grind.

I'd heard a lot of talk of reduced mob count in the console versions when compared to the PC, but DF didn't' mention that at all. Instead, they went out of their way to say both consoles appeared identical to the PC, apart from being … more zoomed out(?) to facilitate same-screen co-op. So the consoles are showing the same number of mobs with full effects and an even larger field of view? Is that right?

p3n

Instead, they went out of their way to say both consoles appeared identical to the PC, apart from being … more zoomed out(?) to facilitate same-screen co-op.

Consoles are zoomed IN (closer to the player character) by roughly 30%. Furthermore, as I don't see an official statement by Blizzard, I'll assume the mob density is still significantly lower than on PC.

Mr Moose

How good is this game from start to finish, on a scale of 1-10?

Forza 5 is.

Wolfenstein kinda is, but isn't...

Anyway, seems like the bump to 1080p on the X1 was a good idea after all. If the drops are imperceptible the increase in res is welcomed.

No it isn't, the game is 30fps when it's "pretty", when you race its 60fps.

Consoles are zoomed IN (closer to the player character) by roughly 30%.
Oh, that makes more sense. DF said it was done to facilitate local co-op, so I just assumed it meant zooming out to give the players more room to separate.

Furthermore, as I don't see an official statement by Blizzard, I'll assume the mob density is still significantly lower than on PC.
That seems like a safe assumption, it just seems odd DF didn't mention it, since ostensibly this is also a "PC vs. consoles" comparison.

hesido

Again, we need to have a sort of histogram to get an idea of how long the console stays at what fps.

e.g. The game may dip down to 25 fps at a single point due to some bug, but keep at 60fps rest of the time. Without a histogram, the min 25fps may look awful, but normally it would be insignificant.

Ethelwulf

Again, we need to have a sort of histogram to get an idea of how long the console stays at what fps.

e.g. The game may dip down to 25 fps at a single point due to some bug, but keep at 60fps rest of the time. Without a histogram, the min 25fps may look awful, but normally it would be insignificant.

Pretty sure that most of the time fps will stay at 60fps. And dips, according to the article, are rare. Maybe in co-op it dips more but I wouldn't worry too much if I had an XBO. Hopefully DF updates their article soon so I can add more information here.

Vestax

Banned
Interesting read. Aside from the brightness difference (or is this the whole crushed black on XBO issue?), they look very similar. I guess the major difference are the occasional frame drops. Seems solid experience for both, irregardless.

So much so, that it begs the question: could the PS4 release have been pushed any harder to take advantage of its own GPU headroom?

I'll be asking this question for every multi-platform titles that is released in the future.

Ethelwulf

Confusingly, they did indeed describe them as rare and transient, immediately after referring to them as "prolonged." =/

Yea. I agree that its a bit confusing but if I understood correctly, they encountered very few prolonged (long lasting, not frequently appearing) dips:

NWj2A1c.png

They should update their article though.

Just got to Act IV on my PS4 today. Playing the entire game in co-op with a friend, I have yet to witness any sort of dip in frame rate.

This game is a damn masterpiece!!!!!

Eusis

dat forced parity.
If it's that hard to notice in practice then I guess this would be a positive way of doing it: the other platform holder goading the developer to make the game catch up on their system to what it's doing on the competition's, rather than the inverse (holding back on the competition for LCD purposes.)

And I guess the PS4 probably could've gone for downsampling but... eh.

martino

Well, it already runs at the highest settings possible with 500GFLOP to spare. They'd have to give the PS4 version special features not even present on PC.

I wonder what you're excepting from a pixel art multiplat game on ps4....

Not all game are designed to push hardware to the limits (and thanks to that we'll have easylli a good quantity of 1080p/60fps game on this gen)

The Llama

If they didn't test the game at the endgame, they didn't really test it. It gets so much crazier then than during the campaign.

theDeeDubs

So far I've put in about 20 hours on XB1, and part of that includes my WD who is almost to act 4. I've noticed one drop so far, and it was weirdly not in as crazy a situation as many other situations I've had so far. I've had some 50 and 100 kill streaks without drops. Looks like everyone wins on this one.

The consoles have weaker CPU's so shouldn't that be expected?

I was curious about expectations on enhanced graphics.
Well, it seems increasing the mob count would increase the burden on the GPU in much the same manner that increasing the player count does, and I wouldn't imagine the AI for a game like this to be terribly expensive.

Did they actually cite CPU constraints for the reduction in mob density? Is their engine not well-threaded?

M_A_C

Getting this on ps4 wasn't on my radar but hearing all of these good reviews, now I don't know what to dooo. I'm afraid I'll get bored of it super quickly. Maybe I'll just wait for it to show up on a ps sale

I got bored of the PC version quick when it came out. I kinda wanna try the PS4 version, but I think i'll be bored again.

Top Bottom