• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's John Linneman: "I've spoken with three devs that implemented DLSS pre-release and had to remove it due to sponsorship" NOT STARFIELD

My bad, I rushed a bit on this one. It's not specific to Starfield, but still somewhat shady from AMD for pulling this sort of stuff.

image.png

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Well that settles it, not that there was a lot of doubt about it.

At least it’s fairly easy to get a mod for DLSS and it makes a huge difference.

Elysium44

Banned
He didn't say it isn't about Starfield either, I guess he either doesn't know or doesn't want to say. He deleted the original tweet so fast he must have been worried about the consequences.

Also:

He seems a bit too easily pleased that it's all good because we can download a third party mod to make the game work well, surely a AAA game years in development from a two trillion dollar company ought to run well by default, not needing mods which the vast majority of people will never think or know how to use?

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
WTF is going on?
John said that he spoke to three devs who had to remove DLSS after implementing it because of the subsequent AMD sponsorship. He didn't specify which devs so people took it that one of them was Bethesda. He clarified that he has no idea what happened with Starfield.

Regardless of this, we already knew this, didn't we? I think it was Deliver us Mars in which DLSS was in and after the dev partnered with AMD, it was conspicuously removed.

WTF is going on?
I've clarified in the OP, it's not specific to Starfield (I've asked a mod to remove that part from the thread title), however, it's something more general that's happening with titles in which the devs already implemented DLSS, but subsequently have received AMD sponsorship and thus had to remove it from their games.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Didn't AMD claim that Bethesda can implement whataver they want and AMD is not blocking anything?
They also refused to say whether they pay for exclusivity.

So it seems pretty obvious that AMD is paying for exclusivity. Bethesda can add DLSS (and give up their paycheck from AMD) whenever they want.

ckaneo

AMD was playing fast and loose with the word "free".

The way I understood it is they could insert DLSS but they would have to return the money AMD gave them

proandrad

I bet they removed the restriction right when the game went gold. So Bethesda can put DLSS in now, but due to the nature of game development it's probably last on priority. The correct question to ask is, if there was ever a restriction put on the game development to not add DLSS.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
He didn't say it isn't about Starfield either, I guess he either doesn't know or doesn't want to say. He deleted the original tweet so fast he must have been worried about the consequences.

Also:

He seems a bit too easily pleased that it's all good because we can download a third party mod to make the game work well, surely a AAA game years in development from a two trillion dollar company ought to run well by default, not needing mods which the vast majority of people will never think or know how to use?

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

Boy bawang

It's gonna be fun when some games will have DLSS on switch 2 and no official DLSS support on PC.

Also, I'm completely ignorant of the law, but wouldn't voluntarily gimping a game on a competing hardware be illegal, on an open platform like PC?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Dude with the mod you can get about 100fps difference! It’s criminal that they would refuse to implement some kinda solution natively on a top game like this

Hudo

Why he exactly says something and say "it's not what I said" afterwards ? It's dumb, he doesn't know how internet works ? He thinks deleting the tweet will erase it ? What a weird person.
Because it's Digital Foundry. Don't expect any journalistic methodology from them. And also be careful when they attempt to "deep dive" into some technical topic because they will most likely either handwave quite a lot of things or just be wrong.

They are quite good for the pop-techy crowd, though. And for console wars, obviously. Gotta count these frames!

GHG

Is he serious? Especially considering the fact that the mod is currently behind a paywall.

So much shady shit going on with this game and the media.

He wasn’t even talking about Starfield in the out of context tweet:

Ah yes, totally nothing to do with Starfield. Starfield just doesn't have DLSS officially implemented because of reasons.

Arrested Development Flirt GIF

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Basically John Linneman says three different devs have said AMD lied about sponsorships not requiring DLSS to be removed.

High Quality Im Shocked GIF
AMD never said they haven't done this. Nvidia never said they haven't done this in the opposite direction either.

WTF is going on?
-John makes a post on X about DLSS(I assume)
-Someone makes a response about him being a journalist and possible false information
-John clarifies that he's not really an investigative journalist and instead just heard it from a few devs
-John deletes original post(?)
-Somehow, people interpret this as he is talking about Starfield(possibly due to poor wording)
-John says this isn't even about Starfield
-People think MS got to him because of this mix up.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Is he serious? Especially considering the fact that the mod is currently behind a paywall.

So much shady shit going on with this game and the media.

Ah yes, totally nothing to do with Starfield. Starfield just doesn't have DLSS officially implemented because of reasons.

Arrested Development Flirt GIF

You're right, the reasonable answer is that there must be a global cabal of hired enforcers out there who were paid fortunes to make sure Starfield is seen in a positive light.

That's why the two largest gaming publications in the world gave it a 7.

Always Sunny Fx GIF

Last edited:

thelawof4

This whole situation is simply dumbfounding to me. How can anyone accept the subpar optimization of Starfield? Why do you need top of the line hardware to run a game with thousands of loading screens at 60fps on 1080p without never-ending stutter?

SenkiDala

He adds this and gets mad people thought he was talking about Starfield

What did he think people would think he meant?

So in a direct talking about Starfield, he talked about DLSS not being implemented because of agreements with AMD, but it has nothing to do with Starfield ?

I reiterate, the dude is shitting his pants (like he was during covid, posting everyday about his fear to die of Covid and his anxiety about it).

Topher

Gold Member
AMD never said they haven't done this. Nvidia never said they haven't done this in the opposite direction either.

"He admits that — in general — when AMD pays publishers to bundle their games with a new graphics card, AMD does expect them to prioritize AMD features in return. “Money absolutely exchanges hands,” he says. “When we do bundles, we ask them: ‘Are you willing to prioritize FSR?’

But Azor says that — in general — it’s a request rather than a demand. “If they ask us for DLSS support, we always tell them yes.”"

If developers are having to remove DLSS from games due to sponsorship then that goes directly against what Azor is saying here.

PeteBull

Fact is, there is mod that enables both dlss2 and dlss3 aka frame generation in starfield, so it wasnt some rocket science and matter of budget to implement it, just lack of will, and guess what, that lack of will had to came from somewhere, and it defo didnt come from the dev team since they know very well nvidia has 80% of marketshare atm, so lets just use logic, like famous detective did

How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Then the answer is pretty clear who didnt want dlss2/3 in starfield, and for what reasons, nuff said.
Here quick comparision native vs dlss2 vs dlss3, gainz are immense

Top Bottom