• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digitial Foundry] Resident Evil Village Demo - Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5, Ray Tracing Analysis + More!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is it? This is how supposedly the most powerful console with almost 2 TF advantage with one and only full RDNA 2 providing over PS5 in this game? So, basically they are both indentical in every mode. Even in RT mode XSX isn't stable. But people told me that XSX should have a huuuuge RT advantage in every game. This is laughable for Xbox.
So, this is a win for a weaker console like PS5.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
TuIJHDc.jpg

The Best Dj Khalid GIF by 2020 MTV Video Music Awards

Loxus

Yeah people need to stop lumping all Xbox fans together like a hive mind. Idiots on Twitter are just that, idiots. If you know of Xbox fanboys spouting the 40% difference (which doesnt even make sense as the difference is around 18%) on this forum, name then.
As for your other nonsense. The game is better on Xbox, as a lot of games have been better on PS5 so far. These comparisons are not only for fanboy nonsense, but also for people to have an informed choice of which version to get. You need to stop this 'PS5 still wins because the XSX isnt beating it by 18%' crap. You cant just claim your version is the best because its not that far behind lol.
I was talking about using the another one gif.
It makes no sense to use it with XBSX since it already has more tf.
Learn to read next time instead of jumping to conclusions base on your preferred platform.

AJUMP23

Good news folks, the games runs well on both consoles. but slightly better on the xbox. Also when I looked in here I didn't know I could care about eyelashes so much.

Boy bawang

Series S continues to under deliver, as far as I'm concerned. The compromises go way beyond a simple resolution drop, even on cross generation titles; in 2-3 years, we may be looking at 720p/30fps games for the most demanding ones. I'm quite disappointed because that's the console I wanted. As of now, I'll just keep my money for the next Switch I guess.

dcmk7

Banned
My goodness this is the point right here! Especially for this game that is on the PS4 and X1 yet the XSS is the problem!? Its like people aren't even thinking what they are typing. The XSS is a $299 device that has raytracing. Is there a more powerful console for the same or less money? The Switch is also $299 how do those two devices compare power wise? Can you build a PC for $299 with raytracing? People are setting an unreasonable expectation on a budget device that is clearly outclassing last gen devices AS IT SHOULD.

If Capcom capped the frame rate to 30 or kept it at 1080p it would most likely not have the same issues. The frame rate was higher than 30 in the video so it had some power head room. People just like dumping on the low cost option like it is actually affecting them in some meaningful way it's pretty pathetic.
You say the same thing over and over and over again. It's so dull and pathetic. Why are you so triggered by any criticism (or perceived) of the Series S? Is it that really that important. Why do you want to be the Series S knight in shining armour so much?

I mean just look..this is just the last few weeks, I'm sure there is at least a dozen more..

Just curious. Care to price out the PC that matches XSS specs? Needs a Zen2 CPU, an SSD, a GPU capable of raytracing, an OS, and a controller. Your budget is $299.

It's so odd to hate a console just because you don't want to buy one. It clearly isn't targeted at you if you aren't interested in lower resolution gaming at a lower price point. If MS increased the specs it would increase the cost and that was something they wanted to avoid. This system will ALWAYS be more affordable than any other current gen console and THAT is what MS was aiming for.

On top of that can you name a lower cost, higher performing device? The Switch is also $299. You think they are equal in performance? They already sell a product for higher end graphics and they didn't need another. Also for all your resolution comments you didn't mention the role VRS, SFS, and VA will play on creating XSS games. Those features haven't all be used on the platform and they will mitigate some of the ram and bandwidth issues. The XSS is fine and it will continue to be fine for this entire generation. MS has never dropped a console mid-gen. If they can support the X1 for 8 years the XSS will receive plenty of support.

My goodness this is the point right here! Especially for this game that is on the PS4 and X1 yet the XSS is the problem!? Its like people aren't even thinking what they are typing. The XSS is a $299 device that has raytracing. Is there a more powerful console for the same or less money? The Switch is also $299 how do those two devices compare power wise? Can you build a PC for $299 with raytracing? People are setting an unreasonable expectation on a budget device that is clearly outclassing last gen devices AS IT SHOULD.

If Capcom capped the frame rate to 30 or kept it at 1080p it would most likely not have the same issues. The frame rate was higher than 30 in the video so it had some power head room. People just like dumping on the low cost option like it is actually affecting them in some meaningful way it's pretty pathetic.

Any criticism isnt going to hurt you or the Series S. It's normal for people to have differing views, their criticism isnt affecting you in any meaningful way.

Loxus

« XSX version should run at 69 FPS for that 15% advantage, otherwise I win »
Better keep those goalposts moving fast as the wins are starting to pile up.
I never said I want PS5 to be winning.
I'm just stating the obvious.
You guys been saying significantly better RT, fps and res.
Now look at reality,
In fact it's not a L for the XBSX but a L for the Xbox console war community.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
- framerate with RT is unlocked, targeting 60 fps
- both XXSX and PS5 manage to hit 60 FPS with RT most of the time
- at best Series X delivers 10% more performance during stress-test scenes.

Xbox win.

zVFC91f.jpg

Weird comparison if it's not even the same scene. Like Loxus Loxus is saying. The Xbox community expected way more from Xbox a year ago. We all know all the shit we saw here on Gaf...if this is the difference between the 2 consoles, then Sony did a better job with the PS5 in general.

Last edited:
re has rt mode and still advantage xsx is rather modest, xsx big cu count advantage with rt is repeating on many forums that of course has no much sense as its just scale also with clock so difference between consoles is still simillar also in rt
Maybe you should consider the fact that different games leverage hardware features at different amounts, even if there's still performance being left on the table.

Keep in mind you're using a game that was initially designed with last-gen platforms in mind (and therefore likely heavily leveraging fixed-function rasterization of traditional pipelines, rather than compute-driven rendering as this game does not use mesh shading to what is known information) to attempt downplaying whatever advantages are present for a given platform when it comes to this game.

Because that seems to be the driving reason you and a few others are even bringing this up; I think most people are aware that not all work scales evenly to every single part of the hardware spec, as that comes down to software needs and the engine. But rather than accepting that rather simple answer, you guys seem to keep pressing the fact the advantage isn't 100% reflective of paper specs (a fact everyone discussing this can tell just by looking at the numbers so...?) because, as some of the more extreme comments (not necessarily just here but in other places to) suggest, it can be inferred by others as pushing the idea of some hardware design bottleneck creating a lower-threshold advantage for one platform over the other.

Which...basically leads back to the back-and-forth petty console warring ad nausea.

Loxus

Because if the PS5 has a 0.5% frame rate advantage in a two second long section of a game, there then follows 150 gifs of that fat blobby bearded bastard jiggling around my screen.
Well I can't disagree with you but it would be obvious with the PS5 since XBSX has been touted to be significantly more powerful.

The PS5 coming anywhere close or outperforming the XBSX deserves a million gifs after all the huge power gap you guys been hyping up all gen.

Fredrik

Well I can't disagree with you but it would be obvious with the PS5 since XBSX has been touted to be significantly more powerful.

The PS5 coming anywhere close or outperforming the XBSX deserves a million gifs after all the huge power gap you guys been hyping up all gen.
So Xbox fans should spam a million another one gifs in load time comparisons even with longer load times?

MistBreeze

so they are basically the same with 2- 3 fps advantage to series x in some scenes ??

is anybody going to notice it in real life ?

why is this thread 4 pages ???

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
So Xbox fans should spam a million another one gifs in load time comparisons even with longer load times?

Well actually, the PS5 is loading faster with "next'gen" games. According to a lot of Xbox gafters, the XSX would eat monsters for breakfast and destroy the PS5 from day one. Only thing xbox fans hide behind are BC games and Gamepass.

JackMcGunns

Maybe you should consider the fact that different games leverage hardware features at different amounts, even if there's still performance being left on the table.

Keep in mind you're using a game that was initially designed with last-gen platforms in mind (and therefore likely heavily leveraging fixed-function rasterization of traditional pipelines, rather than compute-driven rendering as this game does not use mesh shading to what is known information) to attempt downplaying whatever advantages are present for a given platform when it comes to this game.

Because that seems to be the driving reason you and a few others are even bringing this up; I think most people are aware that not all work scales evenly to every single part of the hardware spec, as that comes down to software needs and the engine. But rather than accepting that rather simple answer, you guys seem to keep pressing the fact the advantage isn't 100% reflective of paper specs (a fact everyone discussing this can tell just by looking at the numbers so...?) because, as some of the more extreme comments (not necessarily just here but in other places to) suggest, it can be inferred by others as pushing the idea of some hardware design bottleneck creating a lower-threshold advantage for one platform over the other.

Which...basically leads back to the back-and-forth petty console warring ad nausea.

BINGO!

As mentioned in the video, XSX seems to have overhead with RT ON, which means that while the PS5 is dropping frames down to the low 50s, Series X could be running at higher than 60fps, but just not showing it as it has a 60fps limiter.

JackMcGunns

Well actually, the PS5 is loading faster with "next'gen" games. According to a lot of Xbox gafters, the XSX would eat monsters for breakfast and destroy the PS5 from day one. Only thing xbox fans hide behind are BC games and Gamepass.

So... let me get you up to speed. Xbox One X was introduced with the slogan "It's a Monster!" So it's fitting to say Xbox Series X eats monsters for breakfast, and indeed it does crap all over Xbox One X, there's no denying that. That marketing slogan has NOTHING to do with the PS5.

At the end of the day, Xbox Series X is more powerful than the PS5, but only by about 20% and maybe more so when RT is involved according to some devs.

Measure the performance right now is like trying to measure Xbox One Vs PS4 and using Destiny as a metric, however a year or 2 when games become even more demanding where consoles may even have to settle for 30fps games again just to keep up with the PC market, the performance difference is going to paint a different picture than what you see today on these games with all this extra overhead.

sendit

So... let me get you up to speed. Xbox One X was introduced with the slogan "It's a Monster!" So it's fitting to say Xbox Series X eats monsters for breakfast, and indeed it does crap all over Xbox One X, there's no denying that. That marketing slogan has NOTHING to do with the PS5.

At the end of the day, Xbox Series X is more powerful than the PS5, but only by about 20% and maybe more so when RT is involved according to some devs.

Measure the performance right now is like trying to measure Xbox One Vs PS4 and using Destiny as a metric, however a year or 2 when games become even more demanding where consoles may even have to settle for 30fps games again just to keep up with the PC market, the performance difference is going to paint a different picture than what you see today on these games with all this extra overhead.

New excuses.

"extra overhead"
"frame rate limiter"

sncvsrtoip

game just behave close to theoretical difference between console that some consoles warriors like to ignore (so around 20% advantage both for compute and rt not bigger in rt)

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I waited for DF, Series X is best version .

The tools are here !

Only natural really, Series X has more CUs.
Enjoy that 20% advantage, oh wait. Statistical tie is a loss for a console which only has "power" for marketing.

assurdum

Banned

Continue to live in your bubble.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Which devs?

Devs so far have stated that the consoles are close in power and its not about Teraflops and both have taken some different paths when it comes to designing their console.

Fredrik

So PS5 is only winning on load times on 0.1% of the games released so far then? The rest are actually losses just because Series consoles are surprisingly close?

Sorry but I think this is total bs. It makes zero sense to claim a win or loss based on how the results relates to a specs sheet difference.

Ignoring the warriors, people just want to know where they should buy the game, that’s why these face-offs exist, or that’s the plan at least. PS5 fans claiming a win with worse performance or Xbox fans claiming a win with longer load times is console warring on the lowest level, it helps no one.

skneogaf

I'm surprised how well the series S is playing this game and has a mode with ray tracing on as a bonus.

The series S buyers surely never expected ray tracing so its nice for owners to try it out.

I'm a big pusher of ray tracing in games but I'm yet to be convinced of the difference it makes in this title.

assurdum

Banned
So wait a second, capcom has capped 30 FPS on the switch (though was impossible with RE engine) and indeed to push more the raytracing at 30 FPS they preferred 45 FPS with limited raytracing?
Confused Liam Neeson GIF

I don't understand Capcom sometimes.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
This is it? This is how supposedly the most powerful console with almost 2 TF advantage with one and only full RDNA 2 providing over PS5 in this game? So, basically they are both indentical in every mode. Even in RT mode XSX isn't stable. But people told me that XSX should have a huuuuge RT advantage in every game. This is laughable for Xbox.
If this makes you happy, well that's ok by me.

Everyone. Donald Trump is on Neogaf.

This is what lock down does to people.... absolutely nuts! 😅

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So PS5 is only winning on load times on 0.1% of the games released so far then? The rest are actually losses just because Series consoles are surprisingly close?

Sorry but I think this is total bs. It makes zero sense to claim a win or loss based on how the results relates to a specs sheet difference.

Ignoring the warriors, people just want to know where they should buy the game, that’s why these face-offs exist, or that’s the plan at least. PS5 fans claiming a win with worse performance or Xbox fans claiming a win with longer load times is console warring on the lowest level, it helps no one.
Wait a minute, you’ve actually nailed it here. With how hyped the ps5s life changing SSD was supposed to be, surely every face of should naturally go to the xbox as a win because the loading times are so close that all the hype cerny and sonys fans put behind the ssd hasn’t come into fruition.
I never even thought about that before.

the Xboxs off the shelf ssd is trading blows with sonys completely custom option in every face off so far. So naturally the Sony fans will agree that this a huge win for the Xbox right?

in all seriousness, I use these to decide where I will buy the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom