• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Discussion: Perfect Heroes and Villains - The lack of nuanced story-telling (Spoilers)

KevinKeene

Banned
This is an important topic to me that I spent the last couple days thinking about I'd best word it. This thread in the off-topic inspired me to just go for it, so I hope I get my point across.

The main gist of this topic is that in video games (and blockbuster movies, too) the heroes and villains are exceedingly most of the time all good or all evil. The hero might have some personal short comings (waking up late, smoking, cheating at card games, etc), the villain might have that one soft spot (a dear relative, a pet, etc), but all that is meaningless in the bigger picture: the hero does good, the villain does evil.

SPOILER FROM HERE ON:

Examples are too many, be it Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, Zelda or really most games. However, even games that have you think could go differently DON'T. No matter how much of a jerk my Shepard in Mass Effect 1 is - having relationships with 2 girls, maybe at least secretly? Nah, the game eventually forces you to choose. In Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Malos shows a glimpse non-villain-ess - at the very end. Imagine how it'd have felt playing the majority of the game knowing about this trait of his. And then we have GTA5. Remember how GTA was originally about playing a gangster and making it big? Because it wouldn't be your fault if you forget. GTA5 needed the comically over-the-top Trevor to show at least some villainy, but the other two characters are pretty much good guys. In a game about playing gangsters.

It's not just about playable characters and the big bad guys, though. Video game stories in general are extremely vanilla. If something isn't vanilla, it's an intended narrative shock. But going off the clear path simply to tell a story, to show characters that aren't the same as any other? Hardly ever possible (and I'm looking forward to you pointing out examples of 'unusual' heroes and villains).

Now, even if a character has an unusual not-100%-paragon/renegade status, it's typically part of his past and only mentioned as a sidenote or flashback. Or it's excused with elements like 'he didn't have control over his body, it wasn't his fault!' later in the story. I'd LOVE to see more FLAWED heroes and villains aka real people in game stories. And I'd like to witness it as part of the ongoing story, not in some description prior to starting the game.

Some easy, rough examples of what I'd like to see: A non-badass hero who's doing his best to save (insertthing), but is a misogynist pig, grabbing female characters' asses, getting laid only to stop caring about the girl he boned last night, or thinking lesser of women. Maybe a hero who even rapes a girl from sheer lust, but still has to save the world later and has to cope with what he did (imagine Rex losing control some night with Pyra for example). It's not about sexual stuff, though. How about this redneck who knows how to fight zombies best and protects a group of survivorsc despite being an alt right-racist?(The Walking Dead says hi)? Or have the hero simply be a non-violent mean ass at times. Then we have the villain-side of things. How about a villain who's against violence? Some snakey asshole who makes use of his words to get what he wants, but despises violence - despite 'what he wants' being truly evil targets. Or a bad guy who's actually just the good guy from another point of view (that probably has been done, but likely in an in-your-face fashion, instead of carefully portraying each side's goals and motivations as the story develops)?

And so on.
I could go on rambling, so I'll stop here. The point is that game stories (and most movies, too) make it really easy for us to like the heroes and hate the villains. And when that's not the case, it's usually used for a shocking twist at the story's end instead of a meaningful, ongoing portrayal (see: Oldboy). I'd like to see video game stories challenge us and the way we look at these virtual people we play as or fight. The world isn't so black and white - video games should more often reflect that.

Moneal

Totally agree here. Games are basically the westerns of today. white hats vs black hats. not enough nuance. Thats why people point to the end of The Last of Us as such a good moment in gaming. Joel's actions have some real negative consequences, but with the attachment that grows between the characters seems like the right thing for him to do.

I think Kratos kinda fills the role you mention in the flawed hero category. The problem with him is he is too on the nose as an asshole character. Really hope he is fleshed out in the upcoming game though.

WaterAstro

That example is not going to happen with today's industry.

I wouldn't mind seeing a game where you play a character that eventually falls into villainy and evil, then, another co-character that you've been playing with becomes the main, playable character, and you take down yourself.
I guess kind of like Shadow of the Colossus if there was another character that had to slay yourself after you beat the final boss, or a more mainstream example is being Obi Wan and defeating Anakin (while having the choice to spare or kill him).

radewagon

I feel like your examples are almost the exact opposite of nuanced story-telling. As for games having more complex protagonists and antagonists, one need only look at Naughty Dog's masterpiece, The Last of Us. That said, the nuance is, well, nuanced. I feel like you're looking for a game that beats you over the head with character idiosyncrasies and that's just not going to happen. Any game that is mature enough to have characters that operate in the grey isn't going to want to make it obvious that it's doing so. Spoiler territory, I guess.

Joel: The protagonist. Yet, he's a monster. He's done bad things in the past in order to survive. His actions, which are only hinted at, are enough to drive off his younger brother. At the close of the game, his act of selfishness dooms humanity yet is for the noblest of reasons. In many ways, he is a villain. He is also the hero.
The Fireflies: They are a positive force within the game yet they are forced to do something horrible for the betterment of mankind.
David: He is most likely a pedophile. He is also a cannibal. He is also the leader of a community that depends on him. How is the slaughter that he employs different than what Joel and Ellie dish out? At least in David's case, the slaughter is for the food and resources needed to keep an entire town alive.

Honestly, what you're looking for is out there. It may not be the norm, but such stories exist in games. Even Assassin's Creed, which you brought up, has tackled having protagonists that are not necessarily all good or all bad. The much maligned Assassin's Creed III (and Rogue) do an excellent job of showing how idealism can turn one into both a villain and a hero and that neither path leads to an altogether better outcome; instead, leading only to different outcomes.

KevinKeene

Banned
radewagon radewagon : Don't mix up nuance with subtlety. :) I think it's okay to 'beat you over the head' aka clearly shows the shortcomings/upsides of the hero/villain. Subtlety too often is a tool used when one is too scared to openly show something, and 'grey' heroes/villains shouldn't need to hideclike that.

From what I've heard, the villain in Kingdom Come is gay, and I find that great. Not because I'm homophobe (which I'm not), but because we're living in a society where homosexuals pretty much have to be shown in a good light, because they must be supported. In that way, having a gay villain feels fresh and interesting. James Bond Skyfall had that, too.

That's how I want to be surprised in stories. Heroes fearuring typically evil properties, villains featuring typically good properties.

Top Bottom