• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Getting Nervous About Brie Larson(The Marvels), May Push Movie Back

Spyxos

Gold Member
brie-larson-captain-marvel-e1682345417639-800x400.jpeg

A new report in Bloomberg indicates that the Walt Disney Company (the parent company of Marvel Studios) is getting nervous about whether Brie Larson’s upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe movie, The Marvels, should actually be released in November, as previously scheduled.

The Marvels’ May Be Delayed, Yet Again​

The ongoing strike by the Writers Guild of America and the Screen Actors Guild – American Federation of Television and Radio Artists should, in theory, not have an effect on the release date of a completed film. However, insiders claim that SAG-AFTRA’s ban on performers doing promotion for a movie might be enough to get The Marvels shuffled onto a nebulous future date.

More significantly, this would be the fourth time that Disney has pushed a Brie Larson Marvel back; initially, The Marvels was going to be released in February 2023.

Marvel Fatigue Is Worrying Disney​

Although Marvel Studios is one of the most powerful production companies in the world, with multiple billion-dollar-grossing films under its belt, it is not immune to criticism.

The dreaded “Marvel fatigue” has been claimed by pundits to be in effect for several years now, with multiple projects since Avengers: Endgame (2019) being released to a lukewarm reception and diminishing box office returns.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
brie-larson-captain-marvel-e1682345417639-800x400.jpeg

A new report in Bloomberg indicates that the Walt Disney Company (the parent company of Marvel Studios) is getting nervous about whether Brie Larson’s upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe movie, The Marvels, should actually be released in November, as previously scheduled.

The Marvels’ May Be Delayed, Yet Again​

The ongoing strike by the Writers Guild of America and the Screen Actors Guild – American Federation of Television and Radio Artists should, in theory, not have an effect on the release date of a completed film. However, insiders claim that SAG-AFTRA’s ban on performers doing promotion for a movie might be enough to get The Marvels shuffled onto a nebulous future date.

More significantly, this would be the fourth time that Disney has pushed a Brie Larson Marvel back; initially, The Marvels was going to be released in February 2023.

Marvel Fatigue Is Worrying Disney​

Although Marvel Studios is one of the most powerful production companies in the world, with multiple billion-dollar-grossing films under its belt, it is not immune to criticism.

The dreaded “Marvel fatigue” has been claimed by pundits to be in effect for several years now, with multiple projects since Avengers: Endgame (2019) being released to a lukewarm reception and diminishing box office returns.

WE GOT HER

MrMephistoX

If they think delaying the film will help at all, they're dead wrong. These are films no one asked for.

kA6PYL7.jpg

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize Brie Larson's lovely tootsies weren't allowed.
I find her insanely attractive anyway but she can’t save Marvel from Marvel right now: the problem is the content really has not been as good as the run up to End Game at every level from writing to CGI to star power. They don’t need to reboot the MCU but they should put it on ice until they’re willing to cut RDJ and Chris Evans a paycheck for a comeback event.

The films in the MCU haven’t been nearly as terrible as DC but they just aren’t as good.

Madflavor

I don't understand the vitriol for Brie Larson. It's not as if she's directly responsible for Captain Marvel being an unlikeable Superhero. In the hands of a better writer/director they probably could've done something a lot more interesting with Carol Danvers, and gotten more out of Brie's performance. If they casted Katee Sackhoff in the role, but wrote the character and the film exactly the same, we'd still have the same problem. For some reason Brie became the face of the Woke Movement in Hollywood, specifically with nerd culture.

I'm much more angry at young hack writers from Los Angeles that have infected the entertainment industry for years now, and ruining our beloved franchises. Shit like Rings of Power, Wheel of Time, and the Witcher. All beloved IPs with lost of potential that were completely ruined by cockroaches who don't actually care about the story, but see the opportunity to use a popular IP to push their agendas on us.

This isn't conspiracy anymore. It's gotten to the point where some of them are actually saying the quiet part out loud:

As for Disney? I couldn't be happier that they've been struggling, and releasing bomb after bomb this year. They absolutely deserve their failure. Lucasfilm/Disney ruined Star Wars, they've ruined Marvel, they remaking inferior and insulting versions of beloved Disney Classics, and now it's finally all blowing up in their face. We live in a time now where people can easily entertain themselves on the internet for free. Going to the theater is much less appealing these days than it used to be. Hollywood better clue in quick that they need us, but we don't need them, and they're becoming more and more irrelevant by the year. They can't afford to keep serving us shit on a silver spoon anymore.

LordOfChaos

It would not be a bad idea to pause the slog of movies and rethink them to...Be good again.

Nothing after Endgame really seemed to have any soul. Guardians 3 I guess, Black Panther 2 was also ok but not as great as the first. Everything else was slog tier.

Last edited:

Madflavor

It would not be a bad idea to pause the slog of movies and rethink them to...Be good again.

Nothing after Endgame really seemed to have any soul. Guardians 3 I guess, Black Panther 2 was also ok but not as great as the first. Everything else was slog tier.

I really felt back when Endgame came out that it was SUCH a mistake to plow ahead with more Marvel movies/shows after Endgame. Because it really felt like a bookend to the Marvel movies. They should've put the franchise on ice for 10 years. Make people want more. This is why Star Wars used to be such an event when TPM and TFA came out. People missed it.

They could've built so much hype around the return to the MCU with a new generation of Superheroes. Instead of wasting time and money on B and C list superheroes nobody cares about, they could've waited 10 years, brought back the MCU, and open it with the debut of the MCU versions of the X-Men and Fantastic Four. Those two groups alone are easily worth multiple films.

Mistake

I saw the trailer earlier when at the theater. Looked super cringe. Spiderman already did the new age teenage formula, which I thought was ok at best, but this....not really

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

I really felt back when Endgame came out that it was SUCH a mistake to plow ahead with more Marvel movies/shows after Endgame. Because it really felt like a bookend to the Marvel movies. They should've put the franchise on ice for 10 years. Make people want more. This is why Star Wars used to be such an event when TPM and TFA came out. People missed it.

They could've built so much hype around the return to the MCU with a new generation of Superheroes. Instead of wasting time and money on B and C list superheroes nobody cares about, they could've waited 10 years, brought back the MCU, and open it with the debut of the MCU versions of the X-Men and Fantastic Four. Those two groups alone are easily worth multiple films.

You forget that most companies have to have infinite growth and are not allowed to table short-term profits for long-term sustainably without shareholder revolts. They wanted Disney to print more money, not stop and wait for demand to grow back.

Salz01

How dare anybody post BL pics and not address the real issue….afraid of this happening on the red carpet again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krathoon

Here is an idea. Make Captain Marvel a toxic feminist alcoholic that pisses everyone off and gets Earth in danger.
The comic book Captain Marvel was a flawed character with issues. Some of them were very justified.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Good, I hope that Marvel fatigue is kicking in hard, not towards this particular film or the actor.

I'm just tired of so many mediocre films. I wouldn't be bothered if we didn't get another superhero movie for a few years.

Batman, Spiderman get a pass. The rest? Eh.

Last edited:

Krathoon

The problem is that the writing lately has been crappy. It is dull. Not enough interesting ideas.
...and I liked She-Hulk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom