• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney is no longer calling Boba Fett's ship Slave I

sol_bad

Next Disney villain will use a flower for a sword.

*facepalm*

Yes, make the space slaver look better and less like a douche/slaver/villain. That is a positive thing, suuure. What could possibly be wrong with such a message.

*twofacepalm*

This has absolutely nothing to do with this Slave 1 drama.
But one of the weirdest things going on in the comic toy world is promo images of new toys. Marvel and DC no longer seem to allow promo shots of heroes holding guns. Swords and knives are OK, but not guns.

DC characters all hold stabby weapons in promo pics.
VedvVmU.jpg
eBs8ENW.jpg
ote4jRx.jpg

65zek6d.jpg

And I have no idea if Marvel Legends figures come with guns anymore.
3ZEJNO2.jpg
Dva5Iwo.jpg

ManaByte

Gold Member
For everyone doubting this is true, the ship officially has a new name: Firespray.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
For everyone doubting this is true, the ship officially has a new name: Firespray.

Isn't that just the class of ship?

sol_bad

Pretty silly.
I think I saw something about other bounty hunter characters having actual names for their ships, not just the class of the ship. But like Manabyte said, the ships name has never been mentioned properly in cannon.

SJRB

Gold Member

"Firespray", lmao.

Reallink

"Firespray", lmao.

Is that supposed to be a euphemism for Dragon Semen or a Urinary Tract Infection?

Last edited:

Xenon

The perfect name for the mental diarrhea that spawned this crap

I forget who it was that brought up the point that an all streaming, digital future means nothing is going to stop these giant corporations from going back in and changing your favorite movies. That possibility freaked me out.
it's not a possibility. it has happened already. plenty of movies have been edited/censored. it's hard to find original versions of movies or at the very least you need to go out of your way to get them. i was watching a movie on Disney+ (can't remember the name of it...but it's a popular one) and they had cut something out/changed it. there was also a show on Netflix that got edited. there's no way to watch the original scene now unless you ...um...sailed the salty seas.

what i don't mind is giving a warning or notice before a movie. keep it exactly the same but just put something like "it's a product of it's time. we don't agree with it now but to change it would pretend it never happened which is wrong." i prefer that approach over the 1984 approach. "Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past."

Just keep calling it slave-1 and ignore them.
ykno disney owns Star Wars, right? they'll be going through any mention of Slave 1 in movies, shows, books, etc and editing it to Firespray.

Last edited:

Relativ9

I mean it's silly that they would change this, but also who the hell cares? It's a ship of little importance belonging to a minor character, within a franchise that's long ago been driven into a ditch.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member

Even though the comic says "Boba Fett and Firespray", it's incredibly unlikely that is its new name, or at least it shouldn't be.

The reason for this is because Firespray is actually its model classification, Firespray-31 class patrol and attack craft to be exact. This isn't a new revelation or anything either, it's simply always been a Firespray model canonically. Renaming it to the Firespray would be like calling the Millenium Falcon the YT-1300f light freighter, it just doesn't make sense in the context of the universe.

ManaByte

Gold Member

It's only the classification in LEGENDS, not canon. It's never been called a Firespray in canon ever. It HAS been called Slave-1. They're just using the Legends ship class as the new name in canon.

The Falcon comparison is dumb because the Falcon HAS been called a YT-1300 (in Solo).

I mean it's silly that they would change this, but also who the hell cares? It's a ship of little importance belonging to a minor character, within a franchise that's long ago been driven into a ditch.

Actually they're likely doing it because this "minor" character has a highly anticipated TV series this year. I wouldn't be shocked if there's some part where he calls the ship the Firespray and someone makes a comment like "Didn't your dad call it something else?"

Last edited:

LordCBH

Disney? Who the fuck asked for this? Fucking woke write people ruin everything.

Top Bottom