• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney's annus horribilis continues

MayauMiao

eg2EdFI.jpg

😂

A few seconds later..

9gp3gxs.jpg

Last edited:

deathsaber

I generally like Disney movies- this one just didn't really look all that good. It's like it's pretty much traditional "Disney Animated Movie: the movie". Like they reached the point of self-parody. And parady's can work, but they got to be funny, and this film isn't that. I just don't think it was a film that got anyone actually excited to see it (other than that certain subset of audiences looking to take their little kid to something age appropriate over the holidays- but the kids probably never heard of it, and the parents likely had to convince them to go and after leaving the theater, those kids weren't itching for any merch, or asking for any of the songs to be played in the car to be sung along to on the way home.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

thefool

LOL hopefully someone at Disney still realizes they are a for-profit corporation which needs to make profits to satisfy shareholders in this capitalist economy and will be forced to cut back on wokeshit for that reason alone

This is how you do it. No need to scream, for controversies, to let others turn the issue upside down. It's as simple and personal as I won't consume your product.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Disney just needs to refocus on original movies and investing in the theme parks.

Last year they listed thier movie scedule for the next 2 years and it was 98% sequels, people are tired of the same movie redone.
They have to be prepared to lose money on half of them to find the gems.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Numbers.com says as of this past weekend, Wish is at $106M globally. It's still top 10 making money and Xmas is coming soon so it should get some holiday family sales.

I dont know. Maybe the movie tops out at $150M and disappears in Jan?
Number.com has the movie at $145M global receipts. Doesn't include full final week of Dec. But tailing off as the number of theatres carrying it dropping. $150-155M after everything is done looks about right.

Theatrical Performance
Domestic Box Office$58,205,931Details
International Box Office$86,744,227Details
Worldwide Box Office$144,950,158

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Disney just needs to refocus on original movies and investing in the theme parks.

Last year they listed thier movie scedule for the next 2 years and it was 98% sequels, people are tired of the same movie redone.

I disagree.

I've said it before, but Disney needs to double down and buy more IPs, then cross them over into a single cinematic universe.

Create a cinematic universe combining Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel, Alien, and whatever new IPs they can buy up.

Easy money.

THE DUCK

I disagree.

I've said it before, but Disney needs to double down and buy more IPs, then cross them over into a single cinematic universe.

Create a cinematic universe combining Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel, Alien, and whatever new IPs they can buy up.

Easy money.

Sounds fine for a video game, not so much for movies. Also, doubling down is exactly what they did already, and that's not working out.

Last edited:

IDKFA

Sounds fine for a video game, not so much for movies. Also, doubling down is exactly what they did already, and that's not working out.

These movies are more attractions than art. People just want to see popular characters mash up in the same movie.

They also haven't bought an IP in a while. Get Pokémon. Nintendo don't own the whole Pokémon company and money talks.

Imagine a "film" where Micky Mouse, Luke Skywalker, the Avengers, Buzz Lightyear and some random Pokémon have to fight a Thanos/Darth Vader/Xenomorph hybrid controlled by Team Rocket. Directed by Christopher Nolan with a score by Hans Zimmer.

People would lose their shit and it would make billions. Would it be art? No. But it would be a money printing machine.

It's a no brainer.

Jinzo Prime

These movies are more attractions than art. People just want to see popular characters mash up in the same movie.

They also haven't bought an IP in a while. Get Pokémon. Nintendo don't own the whole Pokémon company and money talks.

Imagine a "film" where Micky Mouse, Luke Skywalker, the Avengers, Buzz Lightyear and some random Pokémon have to fight a Thanos/Darth Vader/Xenomorph hybrid controlled by Team Rocket. Directed by Christopher Nolan with a score by Hans Zimmer.

People would lose their shit and it would make billions. Would it be art? No. But it would be a money printing machine.

It's a no brainer.
I think people want some worldbuilding and stakes these days. All flash no substance isn't working for Disney right now.

THE DUCK

It's a no brainer.

Sorry but that sounds like an abomination to me, nobody beyond thus forum wants to see Luke skywalker fight pokemkon with the world's worst storyline. I can't even tell if you are joking. I hope you are.......

IDKFA

Sorry but that sounds like an abomination to me, nobody beyond thus forum wants to see Luke skywalker fight pokemkon with the world's worst storyline. I can't even tell if you are joking. I hope you are.......

You need vision to see the absolute billions this could make.

I guarantee if you did a poll, not just on this forum but on every platform possible, everybody would vote in favour of seeing Luke Skywalker fight Pokémon and Palpatine mixing it up with a photorealistic Big Pete.

No. I'm not joking.

Pejo

You need vision to see the absolute billions this could make.

I guarantee if you did a poll, not just on this forum but on every platform possible, everybody would vote in favour of seeing Luke Skywalker fight Pokémon and Palpatine mixing it up with a photorealistic Big Pete.

No. I'm not joking.
gwQyp0p.jpg

Fbh

While I personally would like to see new stuff, I don't think the problem is sequels. People generally love sequels and known IP.
The problem is that their quality is just bad.
If the new Star Wars, Marvel, Indiana Jones, etc stuff was actually good I don't think people would mind sequels.
But making new IP is going to do nothing for them if they have the same level of writing than their current stuff.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

It's a no brainer.

Absolutely. Best of ALL worlds. And that's why this is the most popular car in the world.

Season 2 GIF by The Simpsons

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

It's a no brainer.
So, Fortnite, the movie.

THE DUCK

While I personally would like to see new stuff, I don't think the problem is sequels. People generally love sequels and known IP.
The problem is that their quality is just bad.
If the new Star Wars, Marvel, Indiana Jones, etc stuff was actually good I don't think people would mind sequels.
But making new IP is going to do nothing for them if they have the same level of writing than their current stuff.

True that quality is an issue, but writing for fixed storyline with fixed characters is always difficult, and forced. That's why some of the best star wars movies and series have been the ones not keyed so hard to a timeline or characters.
But I do think crowds are tired of Marvel.

IDKFA

For everyone thinking that anything has been learned.

Cringe.

Imagine if a male director that he enjoyed making women feel uncomfortable. That his next film will be 100% masculine and his intention is to completely fail the Bechdel test. Make is a turbo, masculine action film that makes the action films of the 80s look like feminism propaganda.

The backlash would be extreme, yet we're supposed to clap like seals when a woman froths between the leg at the thought of making men uncomfortable?

Cringe.

Imagine if a male director that he enjoyed making women feel uncomfortable. That his next film will be 100% masculine and his intention is to completely fail the Bechdel test. Make is a turbo, masculine action film that makes the action films of the 80s look like feminism propaganda.

The backlash would be extreme, yet we're supposed to clap like seals when a woman froths between the leg at the thought of making men uncomfortable?

Disney is a lost cause. I guess they are doubling down. I expect them to be out of business now in at least 2 to 5 years the way they are acting

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Can you imagine the world wide headlines if a male Star Wars feature film director said this, lol.
Yes, I a world where western media isn't polluted with the woke hivemind.
It's not so much what people say, it's about what is reported. If media would take that statement and put it in the light it should be put in, she would loose her job. Only, the media doesn't. And so this madness can continue.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Cringe.

I thought Iger said Disney was easing off on that dumb shit. And fuck Jon Stewart with the pandering bullshit, instead of asking the hard questions about who exactly Disney thinks is Star Wars traditional target demographic.

And when the movie fails they will blame the very same men that they've been antagonising.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
For everyone thinking that anything has been learned.

You've been tricked. That speech wasn't about Star Wars, the context for those comments about making men uncomfortable was her documentary about acid attacks against women in Pakistan. She made those comments at a public interview session held during the Women in the World Summit in New York City on April 2, 2015.

Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy then was only known as a documentary maker, she'd received an Oscar for "Saving Face" about absolutely sickening violence against women in Pakistan. From that Pakistani perspective it absolutely makes sense that she stands up for women's rights in that country, that she wants to make (Pakistani) men uncomfortable, that those Pakistani men need to change their attitudes about women, etc. Pakistan is a god awful place for women, it is "the third most dangerous country in the world for women due to the abysmally high prevalence of violence, rape, and honor killings."

In that Pakistani context it makes complete sense why Jon Stewart asks her about being a force of change and going against the patriarchy. I wanted to link a few photos of heavily disfigured women's faces, but the photos are too horrible ...

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As for Wish, it looks like it had a decent final week of Dec, but now at $177M global receipts. There were some countries that had it newly released in late Dec too (Italy). But by the looks of it, the holidays are over, so this movie wont likely pass $200M.

As for Wish, it looks like it had a decent final week of Dec, but now at $177M global receipts. There were some countries that had it newly released in late Dec too (Italy). But by the looks of it, the holidays are over, so this movie wont likely pass $200M.

Damn. I've seen this misreported EVERYWHERE.

NickFire

You've been tricked. That speech wasn't about Star Wars, the context for those comments about making men uncomfortable was her documentary about acid attacks against women in Pakistan. She made those comments at a public interview session held during the Women in the World Summit in New York City on April 2, 2015.

Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy then was only known as a documentary maker, she'd received an Oscar for "Saving Face" about absolutely sickening violence against women in Pakistan. From that Pakistani perspective it absolutely makes sense that she stands up for women's rights in that country, that she wants to make (Pakistani) men uncomfortable, that those Pakistani men need to change their attitudes about women, etc. Pakistan is a god awful place for women, it is "the third most dangerous country in the world for women due to the abysmally high prevalence of violence, rape, and honor killings."

In that Pakistani context it makes complete sense why Jon Stewart asks her about being a force of change and going against the patriarchy. I wanted to link a few photos of heavily disfigured women's faces, but the photos are too horrible ...

If someone is suggesting that she said that was her goal for Star Wars then yeah, they are trying to trick people.

But it is perfectly reasonable to question why she was selected for Star Wars, in particular, if those comments are reflective of her general movie making process. To be very clear, I have no idea if those comments are reflective of her general movie making process or were specific to documentaries. Maybe Disney will get out in front of this and clarify if she was hired because of those old comments or despite them because they plan on fan service going foward.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

Dude, she was clearly referring to all men, not just the Pakistani ones. Otherwise she would not have had to clarify to Stewart she isn’t referring to him specifically…

Also I do wonder why the audience was laughing after her comment if this was such a serious talk…

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Fortunately Aquaman 2 drifted past the global BO for The Marvels so they can still hold on to all those records they broke:p
Looking at AQ1 vs AQ2, I didn't know both movies came out the same time (AQ1 Dec 20th and AQ2 21st of their respective years).

Numbers.com shows after Jan 2 AQ1 US domestic sales at $222M, and Jan 3 AQ2 at $87M. I took the numbers one day apart like their launch dates.

So going by the US market, AQ2 is about $135M behind, or -61% calendar aligned.

Last edited:
Top Bottom