• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DIY Arcade Cabinet Discussion

Holy Shit, I didn't even know that was a thing!

I just might have to buy one of those...

If you have any official Sega saturn controllers you can use the mayflash adapter too which allows you to plug in two saturn controllers with one adapter. plus it doubles over as an adapter for ps3 as well. fighters on ps3 with a sega saturn pad is just way too nice to pass up if you plan on gaming with a saturn pad on pc anyway.

here's the link

http://www.amazon.com/SS-Controller-Adapter-for-PC/dp/B0089O10BC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421972569&sr=8-2&keywords=mayflash+sega+saturn+adapter

I'm going to attempt to build one of these:

xVa7eNn.png

Still don't know if I'm going with 3/4" MDF or thinner.

I'd use plywood instead of MDF. Its much lighter and if you're going to cover it with graphics, its works just the same.

Considering I can pick up a CRT for $10 off ebay, I think it's the way to go. This is the one I'm looking at:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221662208256?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Apparently it's got 2048 PIXELS!!! I'm not even sure what that means.
Anyway, it's a big flat screen CRT with S-video. Is this the type of CRT I should be looking for?

For an authentic experience you really want an arcade monitor with 15Khz refresh rate.

plainr_

I'd use plywood instead of MDF. Its much lighter and if you're going to cover it with graphics, its works just the same.

I'm actually using both MDF and plywood. Was thinking of going all plywood but I didn't want to spend too much time on sanding.

Spent most of yesterday constructing this and here is what I've done so far:
adVrBeY.jpg

All in all, I spent about $40 bucks so far. $9 for a USB gamepad, $10 T-moldings, $11 for a small sheet of MDF, and $9 for an acrylic sheet. Everything else like the monitor, extra plywood, nettop PC, arcade buttons, and such were some things I had lying around.

Jim

Dynamo cab designs are the best. When I built mine, I just scoured Craigslist for an empty cab, then ordered the joysticks, buttons, and JPac. Used an old computer and put an old CRT with S video.

Same here. I refurbished a cut-corner 19" Dynamo like 10 years ago (into a MAME machine). What a great project. It sits proudly in my family room. Need to scrape up some photos of the project again one day.

Meesh

Perfect thread, looking forward to the OPs vids of the arcade in action if you feel like posting. ;) My boys and I wanna build our own too so this might be just the inspiration we need.

Nice! Did you print the bezel and marquee yourself?

Thank you. The Mortal Kombat artwork on the topper was sourced from the net but I designed the rest of the artwork myself in Photoshop. I had this printed out on glossy photo paper.

I also designed the Maximus Arcade frontend game selection screen as I wanted something a little more modern looking.

Subscribed so hard.
This is exactly the kind of thread I need right now.
I'm planning on building my own Arcade cabinet, and i will actually go buy some wood panels tomorrow.

If anybody's interested I'm planning to create a thread to document the process of it as soon as I start.

It really does look amazing. Well, I could live without that Mortal Kombat graphic, but besides that it's a thing of beauty.

ThereIs0nly0ne, would it be too much to ask for specs on the thing?

Thank you. I'll likely change the topper artwork for Street Fighter 5 when that comes out tbh.

I have the full build log here:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,95907.0.html

I'm not overly happy with the flow of this build log and have tried to up my game for subsequent ones. It still provides a very comprehensive set of details on the build though.

These are all awesome! I have a little iCade cabinet for iOS gaming (but mostly for decoration). I've always wanted a cocktail cabinet, but sadly I think it would be ornamental as well.

L5uZTRp.jpg

BFIB

These are all awesome! I have a little iCade cabinet for iOS gaming (but mostly for decoration). I've always wanted a cocktail cabinet, but sadly I think it would be ornamental as well.

L5uZTRp.jpg
Hmmmm.....Wonder how a rasperry Pi would do with an iCade?

TheBear

Thought I'd check back in with the finished product:

12524078_10156453383700301_1065260888122120412_n.jpg

Unfortunately I can't take any of the credit, a very good friend of mine built it for me (and was a gift from my awesome partner). Still, it's fucking rad and I love it.

I am having some issues with the Maximus frontend though, where would be the best place to ask questions? Specifically, Maximus won't respond to the controls, however MAME works fine.

Cheers

brainpann

Nice!

Funily enough, im having a similar issue on a second build with Maximus. I think deleting the previous control scheme and reconfiguring the controls should fix it.

Matticers

I adore these threads. Some nice cabs in here too.

I've been wanting to work on one of these for myself for years and years now but I keep putting it off. Thankfully, I have some people who do woodworking in the family so they could probably handle that part. So I'd just have to plan out the design, do the painting and the wiring which is probably the hardest part since I've never done anything like that before. It can't be that hard, though. Someday it'll happen. Until then, threads like this are just more inspiration.

TheBear

Nice!

Funily enough, im having a similar issue on a second build with Maximus. I think deleting the previous control scheme and reconfiguring the controls should fix it.

So I mucked around with it and set it to 'replicate controls' or whatever it is which didn't seem to work. Is there a way to reset the controls. Would there be any value to reinstalling Maximus? Any other frontends worth trying?
At the moment I have to use KB/M to shut down which is also a bit cumbersome, would prefer to have it activated by a button or a switch and not boot in XP at all but am concerned it might be difficult to tweak once I do that.

Ecto311

Might go to microcenter tomorrow and get a Pi3 to get this project going here. Any advice for controllers to mod into joysticks? I have taken apart xbox 360 controllers and made my own arcade stick but didn't know if there was a better option out there for the Pi3 or if that still works the best?

Instructables has one posted recently that uses a generic SNES USB controller. I doubt I would need the analog sticks for old arcade games so that might be easier to work with if they are compatible with the Pi3.

Might go to microcenter tomorrow and get a Pi3 to get this project going here. Any advice for controllers to mod into joysticks? I have taken apart xbox 360 controllers and made my own arcade stick but didn't know if there was a better option out there for the Pi3 or if that still works the best?

Instructables has one posted recently that uses a generic SNES USB controller. I doubt I would need the analog sticks for old arcade games so that might be easier to work with if they are compatible with the Pi3.

You might want to ask in this thread, it's a little more active than this one.

datsunzep

I don't know if this is the right section for this. I'm rebuilding my old, cannibalized PC with a few new goodies to make a home arcade. I've got a few issues that I may run into.

My old graphics card is a 6950, it only has dvi-i, dvi-d, and hdmi out. I want to hook it up to an old 20" CRT. I do have an old 32" LCD I could use as well, but would rather not due to size/authenticity of the game's image. How could I hook it up to the CRT without an active converter?

From what I've been reading, I cannot connect it, and would have to get an older video card with svideo only.

I also have this old card that was given to me years back when I had to RMA another card. it says CRT next to the VGA out. Can't VGA do passive conversion with just a cable like this?
qTC9YHp.jpg

9Fxc9TC.jpg

MrMephistoX

Rise from your GRAVE thread.

Does anyone know of a good manufacturer in the L.A Area who builds something along these lines? I'm not sure I'm even really looking for a full blown cabinet as I'd be fine with some kind of a standup that could support an iMac and two Fight Sticks.

I'd be down for building one myself if not for the fact that I am the unhandiest mother fucker around.

Paertan

I am planning of making my own in my new apartment. Moved in two month ago.
I am going to do something like this
Sx4ahMil.png

And use it as a Liquor/Arcade Cabinet! :D

Fredrik

I made a Raspberry Pi 2 arcade cabinet a few years ago. Super fun project! My screen has started malfunctioning since then though so I should use this as a reason to build a new one. ;)

uRKzb34.jpg

The building process
ALhrSqY.jpg

h20wdNA.jpg

fMTSv7D.jpg

L24f5gM.jpg

t6CG8hC.jpg

kgpA0Uz.jpg

JRwwKmd.jpg

Yn8CepH.jpg

muzzymate

I am planning of making my own in my new apartment. Moved in two month ago.
I am going to do something like this

And use it as a Liquor/Arcade Cabinet! :D

Using these exact same plans as a template, I'm just embarking down the path of creating an arcade cabinet powered by an Xbox One & Raspberry Pi. Chose this design since it seemed the most practical with storage shelves and drawers to get better WAF. My PCB and joystick hardware arrived today to make sure I can get the electronics fully understood & working before investing the time, money, and energy in the woodworking aspects.

Top Bottom