• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DKC1 or DKC2

Choose 2

• DKC1 music

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • DKC2 music

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • DKC1 gameplay

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • DKC2 gameplay

Votes: 22 73.3%

• Total voters

93xfan

Banned
Which had better music?

Which had the better gameplay?

Bonus question: Why only one Ice Cave level in Donkey Kong Country 1, when it had such a cool art style and music?

SpiceRacz

I only played through DKC2 for the first time about 2 years ago, but I think it beats the original in about every category. You should have included DKC3 though. There's some that prefer it over 1 & 2.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Not sure. I’ve beaten 1 but have yet to play all through 2. Tho what I have played is really good. I’ll have to answer this when it comes to NSO in a few weeks.

I only played through DKC2 for the first time about 2 years ago, but I think it beats the original in about every category. You should have included DKC3 though. There's some that prefer it over 1 & 2.

Yeah, but we are talking about people that enjoy playing games for fun.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
There is really no contest. DKC1 was a competent arcade-style platformer with jaw-dropping graphics. DKC2 is one of the best games Rare ever designed from top to bottom, it’s got even better graphics, and it features one of the best OSTs of the entire 16-bit generation.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
DKC2 was definitely the better game. Fantastic level design, and it ratcheted up the difficulty a ton. The soundtrack was incredible - still is. I replayed it a couple years ago and was shocked by how good the music was, and was sitting there wondering "was it always this good?"

That said, I really like DKC1, too. It's a much more straightforward game, and I appreciate that about it. Tons of charm to the environments. It's also much more of a "feel-good" game -- DKC2 was oddly dark and depressing, if that makes any sense.

DKC3 is ok. I finally played through that one back in 2016 and while it gets the job done, it's a step back in basically every way. But still fun.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I never played the sequels. I still remember my sister sending me the DKC VHS while we were living overseas. That game was mind blowing.

DKC1 101% completed.

DKC2 beat the game but didn't bother complete it, same with DKC3.

Overall I enjoyed DKC1 more, DKC2 is harder but was more of the same, lost interest. Funny cause with Sonic games it was the opposite, didn't care for the first one, 2 was ok and absolutely loved Sonic 3 & Knuckles being my favorite Sonic game of all time.

MacReady13

DKC 2 is one of the greatest games of all time. Music, graphics, gameplay, secrets. The game has it all. And I love parts 1 and 3 but part 2 is a masterpiece. Completed this all the way through with all secrets and proper ending on the SNES back when it was 1st out.

poodaddy

DKC 2 might be my favorite 2d platformer of all time when all's said and done. The music, the set pieces, the atmosphere of the stages, the replayability, the difficulty, the controls, the graphics, the character animations, the colors, the general sound design, the bosses, the secrets, the collectibles, I mean goddammit there isn't much to dislike about this game.

Bonus point: Try to listen to this shit and not get hype.

93xfan

Banned
I think the music in 1 beats 2 by a little bit.

Though as I post this, I’m having second thoughts...

Gameplay wise, 2 was better and more rewarding secrets by far. The payoff is fantastic in 2.

I also really loved the overworld visuals in 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom