• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do Schools in Your Area Use E’s or F’s?

What is the lowest grade on the grading scale in your part of the world?

• Total voters
Hi Neogaf fam. I was having an interesting conversation with a fellow Gaffer over on the Gaming Forum about the grading system in schools. We were discussing whether schools typically use E’s or F’s as their lowest grade on the grading scale (or even another letter, number, symbol, etc). I thought it would make for a good poll over here in the Off-Topics.

Drop a vote and let us know where you are in the world. If you are in the US, what state are you in? Other countries, what part?

I think it would be interesting to see the differences around the world, because often we forget about how different things might be depending on where we are!

Probably neither since kids cant be given failing grades in schools here. It damages their self esteem or something.
Where at? Even where I am in the US they still get grades after like kindergarten lol. I do get your point though, and you aren’t wrong.

Here in Spain you get you assignments and exams rated from 0 to 10.
Nice, thanks for sharing. I know it’s not Spain, but when I was young my Dad was stationed in Italy in the military. I can’t quite remember what the scoring system was, but I do remember it wasn’t letters. Could have been similar for sure. Me personally, I actually like the number scoring idea better, since we use number grading on assignments anyway. Why not make it consistent?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Nice, thanks for sharing. I know it’s not Spain, but when I was young my Dad was stationed in Italy in the military. I can’t quite remember what the scoring system was, but I do remember it wasn’t letters. Could have been similar for sure. Me personally, I actually like the number scoring idea better, since we use number grading on assignments anyway. Why not make it consistent?
Yeah totally. I remember watching american cartoons as a kid like The Simpsons and the letter rating system being super weird to me. Using numbers seems more normal to me.

Kilau

Here in Spain you get you assignments and exams rated from 0 to 10.
We use the GamePro rating system here.

OS5727_large.png

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Nice! I got an E in Spanish class in 8th grade. I didn’t get to kiss anything, except my summer goodbye 👋 lol
I think its because its part of french culture to kiss and our 3ft tall french teacher wanted to teach us. I don't even know how she got kissed being that short. Maybe people sat on the ground to kiss her.

I had to go to summer school in 10th grade. So i feel you on that. Our summer school teacher was kick ass though. She let us watch movies and listen to our ipods in class. Even bought us doughnuts and pizza. The whole class loved her.

I live so close to mexico so im sure spanish would have helped more in the long run with the mexican women.

I think its because its part of french culture to kiss and our 3ft tall french teacher wanted to teach us. I don't even know how she got kissed being that short. Maybe people sat on the ground to kiss her.

I had to go to summer school in 10th grade. So i feel you on that. Our summer school teacher was kick ass though. She let us watch movies and listen to our ipods in class. Even bought us doughnuts and pizza. The whole class loved her.

I live so close to mexico so im sure spanish would have helped more in the long run with the mexican women.
okBhxkz.gif

All short person jokes aside. My summer school teach was cool asf as well. It was really “just show up and you are good”.

HAYA8U5A

My first elementary used grades like S and VS for satisfactory, very satisfactory etc. After that just percentages with no assigned letters.

Nydius

Gold Member
Both where I grew up in Virginia and where I now live in Oklahoma, the scale is A through F (no E) and I for incomplete.

Though I'm also old enough that when I was in elementary school, for a while, we simply had a three letter scale for "Satisfactory", "Needs Improvement", and "Unsatisfactory". That was mostly abandoned in favor of the A-F scale when I was in 2nd grade, though they continued to use the S/N/U scale for interim reports.

thief183

Recently tho it looks like kids became too soft to get an F ... So they had to remove it and make the lower score a D or something.....

Paasei

Here grades are given on a scale of 1 to 10. Netherlands. You can also score one of the numbers with decimals, apart from 10 and 0.

phant0m

Recently tho it looks like kids became too soft to get an F ... So they had to remove it and make the lower score a D or something.....
I have friends that teach high school, it’s nearly impossible to fail kids now, especially for the year.

Some of these kids do NOTHING (don’t hand in assignments, get really poor grades on tests, etc) but parents will complain + admin will jump through hoops to get them pushed through.

It’s a real shame, I don’t think they realize how much they’re *not* helping these kids get ready to succeed in life. I hate sounding like old-man-yells-at-cloud but education in the US has really gone down the shitter in the last 15 years, and it isn’t the teachers’ fault.

Lambogenie

I have friends that teach high school, it’s nearly impossible to fail kids now, especially for the year.

Some of these kids do NOTHING (don’t hand in assignments, get really poor grades on tests, etc) but parents will complain + admin will jump through hoops to get them pushed through.

It’s a real shame, I don’t think they realize how much they’re *not* helping these kids get ready to succeed in life. I hate sounding like old-man-yells-at-cloud but education in the US has really gone down the shitter in the last 15 years, and it isn’t the teachers’ fault.

It kinda is the teacher's fault the more younger teacher's join. Not saying all, but i feel some younger teachers continue the participation prize mindset.

Pass marks being 20% or shifted down is quite ridiculous. Teachers themselves say this but parents and students get pissy when they're told the hard truth.

Bring back Fs and detentions. Give teachers back way more power.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
A+ through to f. No e. But only for end grades.

It always seemed weird to me though. Grades are given in % all year which is a raw number and then at the end of the year they put them into letter grades where a tenth of a percent can change you from a b+ to an a-. The gap looks much larger. Then, they also associate a gpa number to it. Why not give letter marks all year or just stick with %?

midnightAI

Technically, in the UK, U is the lowest meaning Ungraded.

For Secondary School GCSE's
The grades used to be A-F with F being the lowest and the U as mentioned
Now it's 1-9 with 1 being the lowest and I believe the U still exists

For College A level
The grades are A*, then A-E with E being the lowest, I don't think there is a U for A Levels but I could be wrong

Alandring

In Geneva, in Switzerland:
- 0 if you cheat.
- 1 if you missed the exam and haven't any excuse.
- 1.5 if you write your name.

The best grade is at 6.

Top Bottom