• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do software engineers get paid well in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I been researching different types of jobs lately and I have come across some good options. Graphic designing seems interesting, but firstly there are only some things I have a good imagination for and graduate salaries are really bad. I've also looked at Mechanical Engineering which seems good. Software engineering seems to be a good option too. I just want to know if they earn good money in the USA and if the job is not too stressful.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It all depends..I guess short answer is "Yes" with a "but"..

Like most professions, you'll get out of it what you put into it.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
work in an area you're passionate about, not one that'll make you the most money.

Scrow said:
work in an area you're passionate about, not one that'll make you the most money.
the area I would say that I would enjoy the most would be building and designing cars, but I think that would take years to get to

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
chocoholic said:
the area I would say that I would enjoy the most would be building and designing cars, but I think that would take years to get to
if you want to do any job well, it'll take you years to get into

maharg

idspispopd
Ground level coding now is monkey work, and pays accordingly. It may be easier to get into than automotive engineering, but it'll take just as long to be well paid at. Especially if you're just doing it for the bucks and not because you have a particular talent for it.

You're a few years late to be making big bucks at a stress free job on the ground level.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Here's a question I want to ask - are companys/employers/people now making a big distinction between software engineers and programmers? If they are, I'm kinda glad, since my degree is specifically in software engineering.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
gofreak said:
Here's a question I want to ask - are companys/employers/people now making a big distinction between software engineers and programmers? If they are, I'm kinda glad, since my degree is specifically in software engineering.
i'm not sure, but the way I see it is like this.

When a bridge is built you have a "bridge engineer" who determines the design of the bridge, but more importantly how it will be built, and then you have the people who actually build the bridge. So a software engineer determines what the software will do and how it will be developed, but a programmer actually sits in front of the computer typing code.

That's just my assumption, in terms of how companies/employers see those two positions though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is true, and that's how I view things myself. You have the architects, and the builders. However as things are at the moment, the software engineer often doubles as both...both designing and coding their own designs. Though maybe the distinction is clearer in bigger corporations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom