• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your thoughts on AI?

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yes we're fucked. Bless Musk and his trans humanism agenda. Quote me on this: first introduction: convenience/safety.

Set the bait and slowly but surely lure them in.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
we are so fucked

Military AI is going to get better and better with more and more input. The more wars they fight, the better they get. There'll come a time when human soldiers are such easy targets that wars are only fought using AIs, robots and autonomous operating tanks, planes and other weaponry.

It's going to be scary as fuck.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Military AI is going to get better and better with more and more input. The more wars they fight, the better they get. There'll come a time when human soldiers are such easy targets that wars are only fought using AIs, robots and autonomous operating tanks, planes and other weaponry.

They can. But... Nvm.

Indeed it's scary.

A lot of redundant jobs will be replaced.

We're at a point where Chat GPT can generate almost flawless useable production ready code for web dev. Some are in denial about it. Its not going to happen over night, but it'll be more like a gradual shift.

Last edited:
Pardon the double post:

It seems exciting and new but at the same time I still oppose it. First off there is AI automation. I have spent several years studying for a software engineering job and it would really be a bummer if once I graduate it turns out my degree is useless because AI are being used to code software. Not just that but it's going to target many fields. It's already making artists obsolete. And it's going to be much harder for the average person to find jobs because of it which could usher in a universal basic income communism type system where humans become a slave class and AI do all the jobs and maintain society.

Not just that but there's the likely possibility of a singularity point where they will become too intelligent and powerful to be controlled and start ruling over humans. Not worth it at all.
Honestly, you shouldn't be worried. Its people like you that'll be needed to maintain, operate and optimize the models running the AI systems. Especially, if you possess knowledge about data science. Much of that translates well over to AI/ML development and engineering.

Might depend on what language you're proficient in though.

Last edited:

ntropy

FmwtNg3WAAABZNS

200.gif

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
AI has the potential to revolutionize our way of life as a species. Are there risks? Yes. Will they outweigh the benefits to society? Maybe. Will shit screw up? Yes. If it's proven that it's a net detriment to humankind, Will we abandon the tech? LOL NAH.

When firearms were perfected as a way to defend a property or persons from a distance to be safer for the marksman than a melee weapon, and it blew the lid right off of our conceptions of the limitations of bodily harm that could be inflicted from one man to another, did we all just go back to Swords?

But this is all purely conjecture, this whole thread, at this point. Advancements with the capability of changing society have so many variables attached to performance, demand, cost, reliability, etc, that you'd honestly need to be omniscient to predict how the ripples will affect seemingly unrelated things.

I look at it like this: The laptop didn't replace the desktop. The backhoe didn't replace the shovel. The film didn't replace the novel. If an AI starts, say....packaging sandwiches at a Subway, someone is still going to need to restock the sandwich paper. Someone's still gonna have to pay the bills for the store. People get whisked away in this thought experiment because pop culture has painted the canvas of our collective minds' eyes with dizzying, harsh strokes of dystopia. As a general rule of thumb, real life is almost never as interesting as what fiction surmises.

2014 looked different in real life versus in Metal Gear Solid 4. This will be like a frog boiling in water versus waking up in Night City.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The AI will "adapt" before us and just enslave us or kill us off.

Some people believe that AI will become so advanced that we'll just replicate humans and these AI beings will be just like us, but that's absolutely impossible. You can't replicate billions of years of evolution and millions of years of human evolution. Never going to happen..

However, what could happen in the far future, and what I'm worried about, is AI becoming so advanced that it becomes not only more intelligent than us, but also becomes self aware and sets its own goals. Once it can do that, we're fucked.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Like most other technologies, I think the public gives it far too much credence. They think it's more advanced than it actually is, and do not understand how much human effort is still involved.

For example, we now have chatbots that are sort of clever, and easily fabricated AI art. If you look at the zeitgeist this spells doom for all manners of industries. If you actually observe the tech, however, the chat AI requires massive input from humans to make it coherent and honest, while the art is laughably shitty outside of a few gems (talking literally one in a million).

So whatever. According to hyperactive computer scientists back in 2013, most finance jobs and things like IT help desk jobs were supposed to be gone already, replaced by AI. Meanwhile the helpdesk people at my employer are in the dozens and are paid $70k+ USD, while our finance people are raking in well over $100k.

Mr1999

I can only imagine but from past experience I think it will start off innocent just as the internet did and then slowly start to degenerate over time. I remember my first computer back in the mid 80's when I was under 10, my parents could not afford an IBM brand computer so we went to someone who would build you one out of the hole in the wall he rented out.

I later became friends with the owner and he managed to do this for years before the market was cornered. I also remember going to the mall to access the internet from the kiosks they had up and then asking one of the workers if I could download flight simulator airplanes onto my disk that I had brought, because of how new the internet was the vast majority of people still did not have internet at that time. It was innocent. When I think back, it feels as if I lived in two different worlds.

The problem I see with AI is that it's going to be disruptive for two reasons, one is the obvious which I kind of touched on above, a lot of positions will be lost and I'm sure It will do a lot good as well, but a broken clock and all that. I think everyone already knows what will happen, the 2nd issue for me is that you are going to have so many fakers out there pretending to be someone they are not, I kind of already see this happening and it JUST came out FFS.

This is my testament and I say this as someone who actually loves tech very much and reaping the benefits because of how early I started with it, but I see now how it can easily go, and likely will go the other way. This isn't something that can be controlled by laws, the cats out of the bag now and we are all going to live through it good or bad.

Last edited:

SiahWester

Horrible consequences in the short term, but in the longterm it could help create a utopia. Especially if slavery makes a comeback in humanity, AI could completely thwart that in certain societies.

Jada_Li

Banned
It depends. Just like any other technology, it could be used for good or it could be used for evil. Depends on the human(s) behind it and their motive(s).

For anyone interested in video games and haven't played Detroit: Become Human, this game goes fairly deep into the futuristic world of A.I./Androids and how it affects humans within that fictional scenario, or is it fictional?

Detroit: Become Human (One of those games that has food for thought, like Cyberpunk 2077 and Death Stranding.)

levyjl1988

Banned
I welcome Terminators. They seem inevitable at this point.
CHAT GPT can evolve to be some program similar to the movie “Her”, is the most likely scenerio. People will begin dating the A.I. it will have a nice sexy voice like Scarlett Johansson. Then with the rise of Deep Fakes and DALL.E, things are going to be accelerated.

I guess the difficulty would be the hardware and metal endoskeleton chassis. But we will get there. With a military program and a.i. you will have something quite formidable. Able to exercise and neutralize threats with. Imagine a Terminator with an aim bot program, that can be quite lethal and camo tech. Something ankin to Ghost in The Shell, we might be able to reach that CyberPunk era world.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Outside of faceswaps, these images are not from the ground up made by AI.

Edit. Wait, the fingers and arm position are fucked (the one with the Asian woman..).. so yeah, could be AI XD.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
I think it’s a bunch of marketing bull for some intelligently designed algorithms.

No one is close to general AI. And when that happens things will change quickly.

This isn’t AI we are seeing. It some nice smoke and mirror. Fancy search engines and text generators.

mxbison

I think it's awesome.

So much crazy development in all types of things will be coming from AI in the next couple of years.

Top Bottom