• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do some people sleep better by drinking alcohol? If so, why?

Do you sleep better with drink?

• Total voters

Billbofet

Gold Member
I tested this theory last night.
Neighbors had a cookout/party. I drank quite a few old fashions, beers, and straight-up bourbons over the course of six hours.
Sleep time: 12:00 am. Wakeup time: 8:15 am.
Sleep grade: D+

I am a hurting unit this morning and have what feels like two separate headaches in different areas of my brain.
Now I'm off to coach some little league baseball.........

Go_Ly_Dow

Had a friend that began relying on a drink or two at night for sleep in his 20s to cope with the break up of a long relationship. Eventually this manifested into full blown alcoholism and he was hospitalised and was close to liver failure before he was even 30.

That's an extremity, but lesson here was that relying on a substance to for sleep very rarely ends up working out in the medium or long-term. Tolerance is a thing. He's now in his 30s and hasn't had a drop for 10 years with an excellent regular sleeping pattern created out of habit rather than through substances. I've never seen him more full of life and in such good shape.

Also as others have said, alcohol stops you from having deep sleep and so you feel less rested and groggy the next day.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Sleep problems can be complex, and some people sleep better after drinking caffeine, but this is a medical problem to talk to a doctor about.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I fall asleep better.

I sleep way worse.

Top Bottom