• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obesity, weight loss and diabetes II

jufonuk

not tag worthy
triglycerides are above the normal range

Cholesterol both good and bad in range.

Was dehydrated at the test so that showed up.

Glycerides are not pre diabetes but I’m taking it as a sign to lose more weight eat less processed crap. Etc. Got to stop my sweet tooth. Etc.

Calcium levels are in range
Doctor hasn’t reviewed my results so I might be stressing a lot or I might not either way time for a change.

Might try fasting. Or something. I do snack a lot so might be that. Less fatty food now.

Last edited:
Just started Semaglutide 2 weeks ago for type 2 as well. Mine is pill form not injection though, so doesn't work as fast. Hoping it helps me lose weight like you, I'm in almost exactly the same place you were, 6'5" 300.

I am also 6’5 and was 300lbs when diagnosed with type 2. Eating better and taking my diabetes medication dropped about 30-40 lbs.

Then I tried a very low carb diet, no pasta, bread, potato, rice, fruit. The only thing that I ate are vegetables and a piece of meat - twice a day.

I dropped to 200lbs quickly and I never thought 200lbs was even remotely possible. Clothes fit was better and I feel way better.

I can’t recommend it enough

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Hiya, update
since the results I've been eating less carbs where possible and limiting portion sizes
my main areas are no sugar apart from fruits, (so there is no honey anymore), and cutting out processed meats, more fish, and white meats.
I am going to the docs next Friday to get their advice on what foods to eat more of and which ones to avoid, how serious the results are etc

I want to turn up at least trying something myself so the doctor doesn't think I am just one of those patients who don't want to bother, I am taking this seriously either way if I lose some weight it can't hurt. if I can show that I have lost weight between the last appointment and now I can prove I am doing it. (well mostly to myself)

upping the walking/bike riding. got involved in a touch rugby event yesterday was a few hours of fun and games and mini matches, my legs are sore as fuck but I had fun and I managed to do the event, lol

To everyone here keep up the good work we got this.

Last edited:

nush

Hiya, update
since the results I've been eating less carbs where possible and limiting portion sizes
my main areas are no sugar apart from fruits, (so there is no honey anymore), and cutting out processed meats, more fish, and white meats.
I am going to the docs next Friday to get their advice on what foods to eat more of and which ones to avoid, how serious the results are etc

I want to turn up at least trying something myself so the doctor doesn't think I am just one of those patients who don't want to bother, I am taking this seriously either way if I lose some weight it can't hurt. if I can show that I have lost weight between the last appointment and now I can prove I am doing it. (well mostly to myself)

upping the walking/bike riding. got involved in a touch rugby event yesterday was a few hours of fun and games and mini matches, my legs are sore as fuck but I had fun and I managed to do the event, lol

To everyone here keep up the good work we got this.

Case in point. 6 months ago my mum was diagnosed borderline diabetic. Just over a week ago she progressed to full Diabetes Type II. The morning she got the diagnosis, she kinda got really worried. Even though the whole time I'd been telling her to chill on eating sweets, sugar, snacking. Anyway I used that window of her being scared to clean out her kitchen cupboards of all the snacks that were stuffed in them. There was loads of it, much of it even out of date by over a year.

Then I did research and found a good list of snacks she could eat. So far so good right?

Like an alcoholic with secret stashes those snacks came creeping back in. Also all the cope and excuses, "You said dark chocolate was Ok for me" I did, but not dark chocolate covered biscuits. "Everything has sugar in it", what's the point in even trying right? /S

She was taking an online course today, I could hear what it was saying "eat well, do exercise. don't be fat" basically. What did she lock onto as a cope? The one thing that let her off the hook for her own actions? As I heard in the video "diabetes can also be caused by stress". Immediately she said "that's me, I've got loads of stress!".

She went to the doctors today, she has infections that won't heal on both her legs. If you guys have done your homework like I did, that's a diabetes symptom. But to my mum it's completely unrelated. "I'm not fat, I just have water retention"

So I go to the pharmacy today to pick up a big bag of antibiotics and stuff that "really important and I need it right now". Strong stuff the pharmacist warned me about it's usage.

anyway she cooks the evening meal for her husband and myself. It's reasonably healthy peas, oven chips and chicken. However for herself she cooks something completely different. Peas, 3 slices of fried bacon, fried egg and to top it off a slice of fried bread. Yup...

Guys, don't be my mum this is only going to end in numerous bad endings, limb amputation, insulin injections, collapsing and being sick all the time and death.

I don't even feel bad for her at this point, it's all self inflicted.

Edit: she just topped of that meal with a bowl of bread an butter pudding topped with cream.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Case in point. 6 months ago my mum was diagnosed borderline diabetic. Just over a week ago she progressed to full Diabetes Type II. The morning she got the diagnosis, she kinda got really worried. Even though the whole time I'd been telling her to chill on eating sweets, sugar, snacking. Anyway I used that window of her being scared to clean out her kitchen cupboards of all the snacks that were stuffed in them. There was loads of it, much of it even out of date by over a year.

Then I did research and found a good list of snacks she could eat. So far so good right?

Like an alcoholic with secret stashes those snacks came creeping back in. Also all the cope and excuses, "You said dark chocolate was Ok for me" I did, but not dark chocolate covered biscuits. "Everything has sugar in it", what's the point in even trying right? /S

She was taking an online course today, I could hear what it was saying "eat well, do exercise. don't be fat" basically. What did she lock onto as a cope? The one thing that let her off the hook for her own actions? As I heard in the video "diabetes can also be caused by stress". Immediately she said "that's me, I've got loads of stress!".

She went to the doctors today, she has infections that won't heal on both her legs. If you guys have done your homework like I did, that's a diabetes symptom. But to my mum it's completely unrelated. "I'm not fat, I just have water retention"

So I go to the pharmacy today to pick up a big bag of antibiotics and stuff that "really important and I need it right now". Strong stuff the pharmacist warned me about it's usage.

anyway she cooks the evening meal for her husband and myself. It's reasonably healthy peas, oven chips and chicken. However for herself she cooks something completely different. Peas, 3 slices of fried bacon, fried egg and to top it off a slice of fried bread. Yup...

Guys, don't be my mum this is only going to end in numerous bad endings, limb amputation, insulin injections, collapsing and being sick all the time and death.

I don't even feel bad for her at this point, it's all self inflicted.
Maybe your mum is eating that way because she is scared depressed and using food to cope ?

My issue was I ok last time with levels. From my previous blood test.

So I was like “ah no worries” to myself
Work was long hours and stressful at times so some chocolates and crisps and maybe a hot chocolate to perk me up.

Now I lost my job I admit I have the odd sweet treat was being ate. I was like yeah allow myself it but instead of binging I was limiting it portion wise but that combined with me always munching things fruits/nuts etc great I never gave myself time to digest or to be fully hungry.
Yeah it was half Boredom and half depression I started to eat more.

I would be good ish five days and then two just munch. We don’t really eat out much now. It’s mostly just not eating mindfully at home.

Result While some of my levels are all good one level isn’t it’s definitely from too much sugar. but it’s nothing to messed with and yeah being overweight etc. I gotta knock it all on the head.
Good thing is I lost some weight since starting, still it’s early days but yeah.

As for the addiction thing. Yeah sometimes I’m just eating cos I’m bored and when working out before I didn’t see results so thought fuck it.

But while I was doing exercise I was not reducing calories. Now I’m just going to attack it from both sides and I need to replace the feeling of eating something comforting with exercise. Honestly after doing the touch rugby thing. I felt great, I got that feeling you have when you can tell you are burning your fat stores lol. Nothing like after I eat too much. Where You feel short term satisfaction but after it empty.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Good news, since starting of treatment with that Danish miracle, I am 18kgs lighter and no longer considered diabetic, my (pardon me for not knowing medical jargon in my second language) "long time glucose" is in normal range, even if I have a cake which I did on coworker celebration, my sugar didn't go higher than 6.5. So that's a win, I obviously have a plan and I will stick to it. I feel so much better. I wish you all well : )

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Good news, since starting of treatment with that Danish miracle, I am 18kgs lighter and no longer considered diabetic, my (pardon me for not knowing medical jargon in my second language) "long time glucose" is in normal range, even if I have a cake which I did on coworker celebration, my sugar didn't go higher than 6.5. So that's a win, I obviously have a plan and I will stick to it. I feel so much better. I wish you all well : )
what is the danish miracle? Ozempic?
18KGS? in how long a time?

Last edited:

M1chl

what is the danish miracle? Ozempic?
18KGS? in how long a time?
Yes Ozempic and it took me 11 weeks, but I was definitely dieting. To be more specific, I had 1 chicken breast, grilled, with some spices, etc. Salad, basic salad with home grown vegetables (cucumbers, sweet pepers, cherry Tomatoes) with spoon worth of good quality olive oil and after strength training I always had a 0.3l worth of protein shake (just water, sometimes with banana). That was my diet. Also I walked a lot, just last month it was 280kms worth of steps. So I definitely went hardcore on this.

Ozempic helped me to be in peace with my stomach, no hunger etc. Also probably helped with Cholesterol + blood glucose.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Yes Ozempic and it took me 11 weeks, but I was definitely dieting. To be more specific, I had 1 chicken breast, grilled, with some spices, etc. Salad, basic salad with home grown vegetables (cucumbers, sweet pepers, cherry Tomatoes) with spoon worth of good quality olive oil and after strength training I always had a 0.3l worth of protein shake (just water, sometimes with banana). That was my diet. Also I walked a lot, just last month it was 280kms worth of steps. So I definitely went hardcore on this.

Ozempic helped me to be in peace with my stomach, no hunger etc. Also probably helped with Cholesterol + blood glucose.
Only ate once a day ? I hope when you come off you are ok.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Cool. I’m eating three meals but cutting portions.

I did have ice cream because Father’s Day

But I am cutting crap out otherwise.

I want to make it a habit to eat smaller portions etc. So when I go back to normal. I don’t out weight back on.

Also to that I’m moving more so let’s see but Ozempic sounds like an amazing thing. What country are you in ?

M1chl

Cool. I’m eating three meals but cutting portions.

I did have ice cream because Father’s Day

But I am cutting crap out otherwise.

I want to make it a habit to eat smaller portions etc. So when I go back to normal. I don’t out weight back on.

Also to that I’m moving more so let’s see but Ozempic sounds like an amazing thing. What country are you in ?
Czech Republic, so I spent. 100EUR for initial dose, then I got registered as diabetic and subsequent injections were free of charge. Outside of diarrhea here and there, it was smooth sailing. You still have to lose it yourself tho, its just that you don't really need to eat, which is very liberating feeling

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Got my labs back after not going to the doctor for basically two years. Turns out I have a thyroid disorder, so that’s nice. Also, my diet and drinking has definitely affected my body in a pretty negative way. I’m not obese or anything, but I need to shed some weight and stop drinking. It doesn’t help that my internal organs are kind of fucked from the get go, from having a truly obscene amount of chemo and two bone marrow transplants ten years ago. Who could’ve guessed.

Suppose it’s time for me to start seriously working on my health. Wish me luck I guess.

rF8RFlF.gif

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Yeah, thats basically been me ever since i graduated college. I gain weight, drop 30 pounds, gain it all back. have done this 3 times over the last 15 years and am frankly sick of it. Aside from maybe 2 times a week, i dont eat fast food. I dont go for seconds ever. i have maybe one slice of cake or cookie or frappacuno drink a week. sometimes two and it starts showing immediately.

i dont believe in drugs but after the pre-diabetic diagnosis, i saw the insane results from cutting carbs and doing intermittent fasting it became obvious to me that my body has an insulin problem. i cant live my life abstaining from food. i already abstain from drugs, alcohol, soda, and ice cream. but i need food.
You eat/drink something that fucks with your blood sugar. That's when you shut off and eat whatever is before you. Go run if you are not yet above 100kgs, if so, you can walk 6-10 kms every day before sleep. Running tightens your abdomen, elevates your metabolism for 3 days. Eat green seafoods, like kelp, agae, seaweed and konjac root. Keep vegetables in your fridge, so when you become hungry, just go out, and eat one - instead of some carb laden shit.

Top Bottom