• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you discuss the GAF in "real life"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I don't know about the rest of you, but it seems like one of the main things I tell my girlfriend about when she asks me how my day was is almost always some anecdote from the GAF, whether it was a particularly noteworthy photoshop, or an especially funny post, or what have you. Just the other day I regaled her with the hilarious story of the "dumb post" countdown until Lukas' ban. She isn't involved with the GAF at all, and doesn't really know much about videogames, either (although she does enjoy playing), yet still I tell her, trying (in vain?) to communicate how interesting it all is sometimes, especially when work is slow and there's time to keep up with it all day.

So, does anyone else do this? Or have I just revealed unparalleled levels of nerdom?

Boogie

I'll sometimes mention to my brother about some obscure and bizarre news story or amusing video that gets posted here, but other than that, no.

aoi tsuki

No, i never discuss GAF in real life. Some things i wouldn't share in real life tend to end up here. i've got the sneaking suspicion that at least one of my coworkers does, and after posting a thread a couple days back, i think i'll reconsider what i post here.

Ristamar

During conversation with certain friends, I may bring up funny videos or pics I came across on GAF, and occasionally I'll mention a particularly entertaining thread or noteworthy news item.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
human5892 said:
I don't know about the rest of you, but it seems like one of the main things I tell my girlfriend about when she asks me how my day was is almost always some anecdote from the GAF, whether it was a particularly noteworthy photoshop, or an especially funny post, or what have you. Just the other day I regaled her with the hilarious story of the "dumb post" countdown until Lukas' ban. She isn't involved with the GAF at all, and doesn't really know much about videogames, either (although she does enjoy playing), yet still I tell her, trying (in vain?) to communicate how interesting it all is sometimes, especially when work is slow and there's time to keep up with it all day.

So, does anyone else do this? Or have I just revealed unparalleled levels of nerdom?
You're fast approaching Dumpsville - population: you!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Well I often meet some of the folks that live here in Japan...so yeah... but when I try to explain something about GAF to my girl I often get a "hai, hai", "aso" which means she is humoring me like a mother does when her child is telling a long winded story with no point.

I'll point out a funny post to my wife, like Tritroid's bar encounter or Santo's stungun, but normally, no. Unless I'm talking to GAF members in real life (IT HAPPENS!), and then we make fun of most you and snort with really geeky laughter and then start crying because nobody likes us and we only have our collections of J-pop and Yoji Shinkawa art posters and Dream Theater GeoCities fanpages to keep us warm on those cold lonely nights.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Nope, but things from my life come on to here though. I think I don't talk about GAF just because there is nobody that would actually care, my best friend is starting some anime forum, but I dont think he would really care about listening to my stories. :(

Leon

Not directly, but sometimes I'm pretty much obliged to, yeah.
80% of my internet "wisdom", if you want to call it that, be it hilarious videos, hilarious articles, new bands I listen to, movies I check out, etc... comes from GAF.

So I always get the question "Where the hell do you get this stuff?". Then they all want to check it out, even though they're the same people who ridiculed me for joining a videogame board at first. Ah, the fascinating way some minds work...

Justin Bailey

------ ------
My roomate just started lurking here and he asked what my tag meant the other day, and I'll mention something I read here to my girlfriend sometimes.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
human5892 said:

One time a group of us were playing Virtual Pro Wrestling. Then one of the guys' girlfriend calls up and he proceeds to tell her the details of the match, nearly one move at a time. I hadn't thought about that in years til today.

Fifty

levious said:
One time a group of us were playing Virtual Pro Wrestling. Then one of the guys' girlfriend calls up and he proceeds to tell her the details of the match, nearly one move at a time. I hadn't thought about that in years til today.

Whoa.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Yeah, and I pretend I was the one who said something particularly funny when I tell the story. Showed you bishopworksfat.

SFA_AOK

Leon said:
Not directly, but sometimes I'm pretty much obliged to, yeah.
80% of my internet "wisdom", if you want to call it that, be it hilarious videos, hilarious articles, new bands I listen to, movies I check out, etc... comes from GAF.

So I always get the question "Where the hell do you get this stuff?". Then they all want to check it out, even though they're the same people who ridiculed me for joining a videogame board at first. Ah, the fascinating way some minds work...

Very similar situation here. Particularly relating to things you really have to know the forum for. At Uni, I'll be laughing at a thread and my house mates will ask me what's up... It's hard work explaining it all though, first you have to talk about the gaming forum and then explain the off topic forum, then you might have to explain posters and their backgrounds to explain the joke... Therefore, I usually resort to:

Iceman said:
To the uninitiated I refer to the GAF as "the internet."

Works well enough :)

nitewulf

sometimes if a hilarious or ineteresting picture/news article/story is posted here...ill mention it to my friends.
"well, in this gaming forum i post, some dude posted this...check it out" and so on.

Slo

Being the only geek in my circle of friends, I'm more or less embarrassed to admit that I post on a videogame forum. I could be doing much more important things like drinking $6/case beer and watching NASCAR. :(

Alucard

Banned
I'll say "on one of the message boards I post on" or "I saw/heard this really funny/cool/weird/stupid thing on a message board." I never really say "GAF" unless someone asks which board it was, in which case I'll say Gaming Age.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
The first rule of GAF is dont talk about GAF
The second rule of GAF is dont talk about GAF
The third rule of GAF is no nude pics

FoneBone

Yes, but then, I have a twin brother who has an account (Father_Brain).

Aside from that, I don't talk about the forum itself with anyone, although I sometimes mention an article that was linked to.

Grimlock

I'll occassionally tell a couple of friends or my brother about something on here of interest, but other than that...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
My girlfriend knows about GAF, sometimes when I'm laughing about something she walks in to see whats up, so I've told her and shown her a few of the postings here(including the thread where I announced our expectation of a child come this Nov.), she gets a good laugh out of the stuff here.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I use it to break ice at parties.
um...
that i usually hold at an empty warehouse... on my own...

Blackie

Yeah, I discuss GA with my friends and family sometimes, even though only one of them has ever visited the place. They all know that's where I get most of my opinions on music, movies, games, and random funny videos/etc.

My friends always make fun of me about being a GA whore when I tell them to stay away from a certain movie because the buzz seems negative, because they all know that I get 100% of my movie info from this place.

I'd normally discuss the exceptionally funny threads with my girlfriend. She finds the "HELP ME WITH MY GIRL PROBLEMS" threads the most amusing.

DCX

DCX
ScientificNinja said:
I'd normally discuss the exceptionally funny threads with my girlfriend. She finds the "HELP ME WITH MY GIRL PROBLEMS" threads the most amusing.
I wonder what she thought my beauty :p I remember Taz had a filed day with me.

DCX

miyuru

If I get a funny story I'll tell people about it, and if they ask where I got it from, or if I just say it, I say that I got it off a forum. To my gf, I just call it 'the forum'.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
No, but I sometimes discuss the contents within GAF to other people. Stories, news, teh insidarr info, but never actually mention "GAF"

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Ghost said:
The first rule of GAF is dont talk about GAF
The second rule of GAF is dont talk about GAF
The third rule of GAF is no nude pics

hahahah that's rich!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I telll my girlfriend about some of the posts and threads, sometimes I have a hard time coming up with answers for "THen what did you do all day?" :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom