• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you play games in the dark or with lights on?

Do you play games in the dark or with the lights on?

• Usually in the dark with window shades down

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • With some lights on or sunlight seeping in the room

Votes: 40 26.5%
  • Sometimes in the dark, sometimes with lights on

Votes: 52 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MaestroMike

Gold Member
When I was younger I liked sunlight coming in or had some lights on, but now I like the room to be pitch black. One of the reasons though is because I have an OLED, but even if I didn't I think I would still want the room pitch black.

Laptop1991

Both really unless the game has a dark setting or the sunshine is stopping me seeing anything on the screen, depends on the scenario.

Not since I got rid of my projector system.
I used to have a 10 foot screen in a dedicated media room. Had to keep it pitch dark for good contrast.
Moved to a new house and bought a direct view led screen. I can't believe I went so long in the dark for so many years.
I can see and talk with others while playing games and eating snacks. I can see the bowl of chips!
Never going back to a dark room again.
Movies on the other hand I can choose to turn down the lights.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Dim. I like a light on in an adjacent room or I turn a lamp on that shoots up toward the ceiling to the right and behind the television. I also use an OLED. So beautiful.

Pimpbaa

In the dark to get the most out of my LG CX. I used to leave some lights on when I was still gaming on my old Sony edgelit LCD since it just looked awful in the dark (technically all non FALD LCDs do).

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Day Hang Over GIF

DelireMan7

Usually with some lights but not too much.

But recently I played a lot in the dark due to very dark atmosphere games like REmake 2 and Last of Us 2.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Well lit room, I spent 9 hours a day on my PC for work as it is, gotta be kind to the eyes.

Stratostar

I play casual games like Overwatch and racing games with the lights on but for single player games and especially horror, strictly in the dark.
Real dark. I’m talking blooper‘s ink-level pitch black.
I also ideally wait until it’s fully dark outside too for horror games. Smoke a bowl, throw on my Pulse 3Ds and I’m set.

Hunnybun

I have an OLED so if I'm playing at night I won't turn a lamp on or anything, but I have to say I've never really noticed any spectacular difference in the picture between light and dark environments. I only bother to draw the curtains during the day if there's actual glare on the screen.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'll put on some LED lights for ambient illumination. Bright enough to avoid straining my eyes but not so bright to be a bother.

Sitting in front of a screen all day is already bad enough for my eyes so they don't need that extra punishment.

Skifi28

Dim light in the distance so I am not in darkness but at the same time it's still quite atmospheric. A completely dark room is terrible for gaming much like a full lit room.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Only time I have lights on is when the PSVR2 goes on, as it's required for the tracking.

If you have an OLED you should really be playing in the dark due to there limited brightness.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

im wearing glasses

so i avoid dark to prolong my eyesight from getting worse

gamers should not take lightly on this matter too.

Always in the dark myself. It helps pull my focus to the screen and helps me get fully immersed. I find light distracting for the most part.

It varies. I have an OLED TV but there is nothing quite as satisfying and nostalgic as a Saturday morning/afternoon gaming in a bright room. At night, I have bias lighting from lamps on either side of my TV that helps me avoid headaches from a bright screen in the dark, and it's actually enough light that I can walk around to the kitchen, eat, do whatever else without turning on the overhead lights.

Top Bottom