• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you prefer 'kill x amount of enemies' or 'kill enemies until <item> drops' quests?

Which quest type do you prefer GAF?

• Collect 12 wolf hearts

Votes: 37 61.7%
  • Kill wolves until one drops a wolf heart

Votes: 23 38.3%

• Total voters

cormack12

Gold Member
Which of the two types of fetch/collect quests. Do you prefer having a definitive but sizeable target of enemies to kill who will always drop the item. Or do you prefer to kill enemy types until one drops the quest item. For these purposes, the drop is a quest item and the RNG isn't terrible but can fall along the range 5-25 before you get the drop. The enemies can drop other resources as well (for crafting, selling, currency etc).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Anyone who's spent any time in The Barrens or Westfall will tell you - it doesn't matter which, you're always going to run into packs of giraffes that have no hooves or vultures that have no wings.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Hmmm.. If the combat is good and you gain exp/items/etc from killing anyways I think I prefer that sweet RNG..

I think..

arvfab

Banned
I don't mind either as long as I was already able to collect the items before getting the quest and therefore maybe already turn in the quest items immediately.

What I don't like are quests like: Hey, you only killed 1024235 Wolfes until now, mind killing another 20 for me? I really don't like them.

cormack12

Gold Member
Anyone who's spent any time in The Barrens or Westfall will tell you - it doesn't matter which, you're always going to run into packs of giraffes that have no hooves or vultures that have no wings.

hahahaha, yeah or rabbits that drop gold/coins, or giants that drop normal sized rings

Depending on the drop rate both can be very frustrating. I remember some Wow quests like those Elder Mistvale Gorillas in Stranglethorn or that super glue quest in Un Goro or the gem from the miners in the Northern Barrens or the Ashenvale Satyr's horns. Extremly frustrating and with some bad luck 50-100 mobs to kill.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Between the two, 12 100% drops makes more sense to me than 5-25 kills for something that's in every one of those wolves but I might not be able to loot it.

I think it's situational. If a side quest is "If you happen to come across X, bring it to me" then RNG is fine because it might drop eventually if it's not an absurdly rare thing. If it's mandatory, like an early game fetch quest often is, I'd rather it be fixed amounts.

CuNi

Isn't the poll wrong? Kill X wouldn't mean collect 12 hearts but kill 12 wolves, which i prefer to "collect 12 hearts" which could end up being 200 wolves.

Rivet

I hate them both nearly equally. Give me something more interesting to do, give me more reasons to care. Kill quests are the bottom of the barrel.

Three

I'd prefer whatever it is be more meaningful and slightly logical. Collect a wolf heart but you get attacked by a pack of 12 of them trying to get it. You don't have a magicians bag and can carry whatever amount is possible. Rotting wolf hearts may not be useful in later quests.

Basically what I'm trying to say is I would rather a game have good gameplay in the actual combat and I go after items which allow varied/fun encounters instead of some checklist mechanic where I'm carrying 45 wolf hearts in a fannypack and somebody asks for 50.

Aenima

I prefer the kill untill it drops as long the drop rates are high. Being dependent of RNG can be a pain depending of how high or low the drop rates are.
I still remember the strugle to platinum Demon's Souls on PS3 because i needed a item that droped from an enemy that took me 2 weeks darming it untill it droped.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I like the Dead Rising zombies never stop because there are infinity people in a shopping mall quests. Especially when you can run over them with a lawn mower.

K2D

Banned
All contextual..! A wolf heart? That's universal! Why wouldn't the first one drop..? If it were an item contextually connected to a spesific quest marker, that would whole 'nother story.

Edit: It helps to know your exhausting the quest pool, and not spawning in new to fight the odds for ever.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Kill until one drops.

That way you'll get those dopamine highs everytime you are about to kill a wolf. Instead of just once, in the 12th wolf.

It's basic psychology buddy.

Yup.

Was gonna mention this. Basically that neverending gambling high of sorts. Kindergarten psychology indeed.

levyjl1988

Banned
The thing I hate about RPGs is when the quest giver is asking to retrieve for example harpy wings, all the harpies you face have wings yet they don’t drop. As a player I’m like wtf, this is stupid and absurd. If the game gave context as to why they are not dropping such as, the wings are too damaged to be salvaged or made into anything that would make sense and the enemy model should indicate this as well to communicate to the player. Developers and designers are too fucking lazy these days. I thought this is 2022 where games are more well thought out and refined. I guess I’m wrong when there is piss poor direction from leaders who are in the games industry as a job and not there to innovate.

Top Bottom