• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you still have the ability to shut everything out and just focus on gaming?

Hey GAF. Was wondering. Do you still have the ability to shut everything out and just focus on gaming? Just you, the screen, and the controller? The reason why I ask is because it's getting harder and harder for me to do it. I always catch myself checking up on some form of social media while playing, whenether I want to talk about said game/s I'm playing, or to stream them, thus distracting myself. Maybe that's why I'm pretty drawn to survival horror games. That's a case where I feel like I can break free from my FOMO and just focus on the immersion of the atmosphere and the struggle of the player character's survival. The most recent time I was able to pull this off again was when I played Megaman X on my SNES yesterday. It was just me, the CRT, and the glorious SNES pad.

Moogle11

Banned
Only if I really, really get sucked into something or I’m playing online with friends and my attention is in the game and chatting with them.

My attention span isn’t what it used to be. Hell, I’m currently semi watching tv in the background, playing Animal Crossing and just set my Switch Lite down for a bit to let the dog out and now checking GAF and going back to the game after hitting reply.

Yeah, but it's rare. The last time I absolutely forgot about everything was Sekiro with those brutal, punishing fights that kept pushing me for more.

That's awesome! You just reminded me that I own the game XD I haven't gotten far in it myself, but yea I do appreciate that kind of boss design, that pushes you to find the rhythm to beat them

Psykodad

Banned
Yes, gaming is a form of escapism. It's one of the main reasons I play games, to zone out for a bit.

That's why I don't play videogames when I'm in a relationship and my gf is at my place. They'll barely get a reaction from me when I'm playing videogames. Lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. When im playing a game, all my attention is focused on that game for the time that im playing it. For days in which there's a showcase (like Thursday with EA, the 25th for Cyberpunk 2077 or Ubi/Microsoft in July), I will just relax for that day and wait for the showcase. Normal days, it's about the game that im playing.

Starting Friday, it's all about TLOUP2 followed by Desperados III, Ghost of Tsushima, Mafia Remake, The Avengers and Wasteland 3. I have no backlog and any PS4 exclusive that I want to play such as Babylon's Fall or Lost Soul Aside must be released by October because once November 1st hits, PS4 Pro will be traded in as it will then be all about next gen. If those games don't get remastered or ported to PS5 then will quite simply never be played as both are 50/50 games for me which means, if I play them, great but in not, no big deal.

Two more days to go for TLOUP2!!! Let's go baby!!!

Mobilemofo

Yeah. I manage to game in peace often. If I'm playing games, I put my phone aside and leave it for hours. I'm not arsed at all about social media. It's a cesspit of misinformation and general bollocks.

That's awesome! You just reminded me that I own the game XD I haven't gotten far in it myself, but yea I do appreciate that kind of boss design, that pushes you to find the rhythm to beat them

Exactly, it puts you in the zone and there's an invisible progress you can only make by staying in it. Lose focus and you'll have to start from the beginning. It's a beautiful game.

Pejo

Yep, lately for me it's been putting on a synthwave mix and playing through Nioh on PC. Nothing against the game soundtrack, but I just have been having fun slicing through onis to some Carpenter Brut or Dance with the Dead. I really enjoy gaming with headphones on but I prefer the over-ear ones and lately it's been too hot for those. It's great to have a few hours in a game without worrying about all the other shit in the world.

Vildiil

Persona 4 hitting steam recently came at the perfect time, I love the game and the hours have been flying by without me feeling the need to check on anything outside of it.

Bwesh

No. My kids have a sixth sense where if I’m enjoying myself for too long then they must come along and put a stop to it.
My wife and daughter just seem to have some kind of sense to know that I'm about to start gaming then suddenly they need me for something. That's why I can only play single player games now.

Kupfer

That's the reason why I now prefer to play single player games on console. I am far too distracted on the PC, even though I am not registered on any social media platform.

If I really want to play like I used to, then I have to sit in front of the Playstation on the weekend, with no plans, no obligations and the phone on silent - then it still works quite well for me.

Been playin since Atari 2600. 39 years old now. Just sold my xbox one x and for the first time, gaming soley on PC. I love gaming more than ever (especially since more on PC now) but I play it differently now. When I was younger, I could sit there for hours just to beat every game I got. These days, I dont have the urge to beat any single player game I get mostly because I dont care about game stories, so I am usually skipping all cutscenes. I lose enjoyment quick if a game is repetitive and rarely does a game hook me. I mostly enjoy competitive multiplayer shooter and fighting games, but I could care less about ranking and I dont wear a headset. What distracts me most from games are two things, 1) I buy every game so by the time I get invested into one game, Ive bought another so my interest is constantly shifting and 2) Modern Warfare steals all my gaming time so I just cant seem to enjoy any game fully when I know I could be playing Modern Warfare. This is the best shooter Ive ever played and its my biggest distraction LOL! At the end of the day though, I think as we age, we enjoy gaming in different ways and thats ok, but the one thing that never changes, is gaming's ability to help me relax, get my mind off of stress, and have fun on a daily basis.

teezzy

Banned
Yes all the time. Unlike work, where I get paid to post on GAF all day, gaming is me in my zone. Especially at night alone in front my PC.

Every so often I'll take a break and do some pushups or something. There's not much else going on in my life.

GreyHorace

So long as there's no real world bullshit mixed in with my gaming, I'm perfectly fine.

This is why I'm vehemently against SJWs policing gaming. Keep your real world issues out of my escapist fantasy you fucking NPCs.

Mr Hyde

I have no problems with focusing on the game. I don't have any social media platforms to check, nothing online that really begs for my attention. I'm not much for the Internet to be honest, GAF is my only "home", so to speak, where I'm active and have an account. Most of the Internet bores me to tears.

Last edited:
This might sound corny or whatever, but I regret about 30% of what I've seen/heard/read on the internet. Not because of, like, wasted time or memes or whatnot but because of the genuinely horrifying reality that we (a lot of us, anyway) unfortunately live in. While I don't do social media per se, I do try to keep up once every few days with the going-ons of the world. With how technology's evolved and continuing to do so and how much the internet's been growing, a lot of folks' stories get lost in the shuffle or their voices aren't strong or loud enough to be heard. Or worse, deemed not commercially viable by whatever algorithm.

Compared to the kind of privileged (not in a buzzword kind of way) life I live (safety, shelter, food, pleasure) I am fully aware I'm basically doing less than nothing for anyone but I take confort in knowing that there's at least one person that's a witness to the trials and tribulations of those less fortunate, through no fault of their own.

Most days, I wish there was a type of button to push, to just insulate myself from all that vile shit, but alas, we're only at the beginning of this technological future, and pocket pussies don't even have personalities yet, so still waiting on that.

At the same time, what I've gotten from gaming as a whole, anywhere from treasured respite times in times of need to a few minutes of casual fun to actual, genuine education on philosophy, psychology, morality and a thousand other subjects on both the world and myself, I will forever be grateful.

I think I've mentioned this in the past on one of these topics around here: there's all this talk about space travel, conquering different worlds, teleportation and everything that comes with that. And I'm sure this might sound incredibly childish and naive, but the right videogames (and books, shows and movies) already offer that to me and I couldn't feel luckier, since I know I've been born at the perfect time (and place?) to enjoy that aspect of myself without any obvious repercussions.

zkorejo

I love that feeling.

Depends on the game and if manages to has my attention and manages to hold it. RPGs and MP Pvp does that for me. But games like AC and Spiderman.. not so much.

SoraNoKuni

No, it happens that when I play my brain just runs rampart and I think about every single responsibility I have, so I get depressed and stop.
That doesn't happen with movies though which manage to zone me off, weird stuff.

I killed off all of my social media accounts almost 4 years ago so that doesn’t distract me. I have a 2-year old and she’s basically a wrecking ball right now so unless she goes to my parents for the day I just won’t have the time for non-distracted gaming.

I'm 34 and convinced that this planet will be uninhabitable in 30-40 years (billions of refugees due to desertification, not enough food etc. etc.) so I decided to not have kids. There's a lot of people like me in this generation.
We're able to play our hearts out whenever we want and it's really enjoyable.

FOMO is not really a problem if you're already doing what you like.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
In a "sandbox" kind of game like Terraria or Minecraft, or even something like Fantastic Contraption, yeah. I'm having more trouble lately with the big budget AAA stuff.

I try to play something like Spider-Man on PS4 and it just feels like the first Rocksteady Batman game with a few extra steps. I think I just need to start smoking weed again.

samporter

Banned
If a game manages to hook me, then I will seriously just go to work, play the game, sleep, repeat until it's finished. Last game I did for this was Dragon Quest 11 on Switch.

scalman

same as music , reading books, doing your favorite stuff , like driving car, when i do those but i must be alone in room first, so wheni can do those i shut myself out from everything, world outaside doesnt matter , phone is on mute. good times.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No kids, and my partner is pretty good about leaving me alone in my office when I'm playing something in here.

The new kitten can be a distraction if I'm couch gaming, but if I play during the day on a weekend, she's usually asleep.

Also, turn your phone off.

cireza

Of course. I just put my wife and kids outside, and lock myself inside the house. Problem solved.

Otherwise, I always play like this. Just the game and me, I don't get distracted by anything else, except if I have to manage my kids for whatever reason of course :)

Last edited:

DelireMan7

It happens that from time to time that I check my phone during a loading time. But usually when I play, I PLAY ! I like to get immersed in the world of a game.

Playing with headphones also help for that (especially atmospheric game like the Souls)

Last edited:
not really.

between having a four year old wrecking ball and working on a covid ward im stuck for time,

cant sit for any length of time these days

Khyle

Neo Member
It depends on the game. I recently played Darksiders for the first time and even if it was no masterpiece, it was very fun and I found myself a few times surprised at seeing 3 hours had passed since I had started that gaming session. There are however many other games where I feel the "need" to take a short break after an hour or so, for different reasons: RPGs (so battle encounters don't get too monotonous), platforming games (when I get to a frustrating part, for example), survival horror (I like immersion but not to the point of feeling anxiety), and so on. It doesn't mean I liked Darksiders more than the others, of course, I just play them with a different mindset, so to speak.

Last edited:

Senhua

Why for? it's just an entertainment, just something to do to on my free time. There are a lot of things have more greater importance than that.

Last edited:

OutRun88

Even besides the outward distractions such as your phone, games and the systems themselves have so many inward distractions your ability to just play and enjoy the game can easily be broken.

The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains

It's a bit of a stretch to see the connection to this book, however it is still a good read that may have some correlation to what you're experiencing. This book doesn't apply to those who's game time is interrupted with higher real life priorities such as children and significant others.

DogofWar

I'm 34 and convinced that this planet will be uninhabitable in 30-40 years (billions of refugees due to desertification, not enough food etc. etc.) so I decided to not have kids. There's a lot of people like me in this generation.
We're able to play our hearts out whenever we want and it's really enjoyable.

FOMO is not really a problem if you're already doing what you like.
Your username does not check out. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

On topic:

I have two kids and a wife. I very rarely have time to focus on my hobbies. And the only games that really gives me that sweaty super focus nowadays are games like Bloodborne, when you either get in a trance or get rekt on the harder bosses. I also like Doom (all except 3) on the harder difficulties for this.

But I am having a harder and harder time to get immersed in long drawn out RPGs. Which is a shame.

nowhat

An interesting topic, and one that I don't think relates to only gaming. And yes, I do find it increasingly hard, not only with games, but with other less-active media such as movies/TV-shows. You can always suspend (and as stated above, becoming a parent can certainly affect this). You can always resume when you wish. And say you're playing a new game that has just been released - you may want to post your impressions online, or you may want to read impressions from others. At times nowadays I can get into the "zone" with games, but it's rare. I think the latest one I had this experience with was with the FFVII remake. Not that the game was perfect, but I have no connection to the original, so I wanted to see where it was going before getting spoiled (and in the end, I did enjoy it too).

But what this ADHD-everything keeps happening at once and I can't keep up-culture of ours has completely ruined for me is reading. Not of like "professional" text, something related to work, I do that on a regular basis. But reading a fictional book, I really struggle with it nowadays, because it's hard to keep focus. It's a shame really, I used to be quite the bookworm (but also, I've been on the Internet since mid-90s and BBS's before that - I guess my brain is already fried in unrepairable ways).

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yes, I've learned to shut things out and/or deal with the distraction. I also don't care as much about story content so if I get distracted and die, it's usually just a quick restart or something. It's harder to rewind a game to hear some missing lines of dialogue (JRPGs and VNs have the right idea by offering a database of all previous convos).

But I am having a harder and harder time to get immersed in long drawn out RPGs. Which is a shame.
Not a shame at all. That's just you placing more value on your gaming time. I mostly stopped playing RPGs too after enjoying them since childhood (~25 years).

Pantz

Sometimes (recently) I spend more time wishlisting games to buy rather than playing games. Especially right now with some of the digital shows. Spending so much time watching them and reading the gaming news and stuff. Need to slap myself out of it and concentrate what I already have.

Top Bottom