• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else find most Ubisoft games to feel really bland, repetitive, and boring after a while?

DonF

Yes and no.

Most farcry games feel the same to me. Same with ass creed. But I can't say rabbids feels generic, or the new prince of Persia.

There's fun to be had with ubisoft games but they need to cut the length down by half. Way too many collectible bullshit and crappy repetitive side quests. Oh and where the fuck is rayman and splinter cell? They give us watch dogs 3 but don't bother with 2 legendary ips they have. What a waste.

Last edited:

Tg89

Yeah with the exception of PoP.

Ubisoft is a bottom tier dev though, they make like one game worth playing every decade. Can't imagine wasting time with Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, Far Cry, etc.

Last edited:

Hudo

Depends. There are some really "soulful" Ubi games:

The Prince of Persia 2008, The Rayman games, Beyond Good & Evil 1, Patrice Desiléts' Assassin's Creed games, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic (only published by Ubi, developed by Arkane Lyon).

But all these games came out a long time ago.

Last edited:

digdug2

Most of the Ubisoft open-world games feel like they are just copy/pastes of their other games. I'm talking VERY broad strokes here, but Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, Watch_Dogs, The Crew, Avatar, etc. all have very similar game mechanics and their maps are miles wide but inches deep.

If they can change it up and add some diversity to the gameplay, maybe I'll buy some Ubi games again. Until then, I won't be spending any money on them.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It isn't just Ubisoft. I feel like almost every game feels bland, boring and repetitive after a while. Especially open world games and story-driven cinematic games. The story has to be really captivating or there needs to be some pretty nice progressive reward system to hold my interest through repetitive gameplay. If I feel like I'm going through the motions to get to the next cutscene I drop it.

Sethbacca

They'd be significantly better if they didn't try to pad the games out into 80-100 hour experiences (specifically re: Valhalla/Odyssey,etc) . I'd prefer much shorter more focused narratives.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

Depends. There are some really "soulful" Ubi games:

The Prince of Persia 2008, The Rayman games, Beyond Goo & Evil 1, Patrice Desiléts' Assassin's Creed games, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic (only published by Ubi, developed by Arkane Lyon).

But all these games came out a long time ago.
New Prince of Persia is one of the best games they’ve ever made.

Jimmy_liv

What a ridiculous umbrella statement!!

Anyone else find movies boring...I mean like...all of them!

So Farcry is the same as Mario and Rabbids and Prince of Persia and Riders Republic and Immortals!!?!?!

Talk about a sweeping statement.

mdkirby

yes...they add grind/bloat to clock additional 'engagement hours' and justify all the cosmetic micro transactions they continually add to their stores. If assassins creed is only a 30-40hr game, they can't keep releasing £15 'celestial horse and armour' packs every month for a year. They need you to spend hundreds of hours grinding away in the game to maximise those purchases.

Which in turn leads to games that start fun and interesting, but are spread so very 'thin' they become boring and way outstay their welcome long before the credits roll.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Have you been living under a rock op? This is like the most common gaming opinion. Ubisoft makes the most factory made copy paste open world formula in existence, and don't even bother to shake things around across franchises. It makes them very productive, like McDonald's, but the lowest quality possible while still being just passable.

jayj

Banned
What a thread backfire, OP thought he could earn easy internet points.

This is Neo G-A-F son.

You won't get away with this here.
What? Seems like a lot of people are sharing their opinions on the subject matter and have a lot of different things to say about it, that's a success as far as I'm concerned.

Isn't this the same OP that constantly posts negative things on here Lol.
Uhh no, it's called criticism, the foundation for what every critic is supposed to do. What do you want from me? To be creating topics where all I do is talk about how much I love everything and ask for a thumbs up? That's not exactly the foundation for an interesting conversation lol.

What a ridiculous umbrella statement!!

Anyone else find movies boring...I mean like...all of them!

So Farcry is the same as Mario and Rabbids and Prince of Persia and Riders Republic and Immortals!!?!?!

Talk about a sweeping statement.
So Ubisoft's open world games now represent the entire gaming industry as a whole? Not sure what you're trying to get at here. It would be more like me criticizing a particular director or production company that makes a lot of movies that feel similar if you want to go with that.

Flabagast

I played loads of Origin, Odyssey and Valhalla plus Black Flag and while they do have repeating systems and gameplay features, i never got bored i enjoyed the games although Valhalla was a bit bloated and i didn't like the challenges much, i couldn't get gold lol

lmao, that must be one one of the biggest understatements I've read in my entire life.

jayj

Banned
Last games I truly enjoyed were the AC Ezio trilogy of games, From Dust & Far Cry 3. AC ended up losing the charm, atmosphere, characters and it's overall sense of focus; eventually becoming a shadow of its former self following RPG trends, even the more conventional Unity which played really great just felt soulless. From Dust never got a follow up and Far Cry basically became a cookie cutter template.

Watch_Dogs had real potential and I think they should have doubled down more after the first game (like they did with ACI to ACII) rather than completely switch things up in terms of the feel of the world. WD2 had fun gameplay but the "hey kids we're cool" vibes killed it for me. And Legion while a cool concept just didn't really meld together. I know Aiden wasn't particularly liked but he cut an iconic figure and the world had a dark and distinct atmosphere that could have been better with a new iteration.

My last hope with them is that AC Hex is interesting and that Mirage encourages them to run with the classic formula on a bigger scale again, perhaps developing a classic style AC and an RPG style AC in parallel; and should there be a new classic outing either near the end of this gen or into the next gen -- it seriously needs to impress. There's also Far Cry but they're either gonna have to go back to basics and do it really well on a fundamental level or completely reinvent it to get me back again. Also, they gotta cut ties with PS4/X1 and really go to town on the tech, they haven't blown me away since ACII in terms of an actual playable game; and they haven't impressed me on a showcase level since the Watch_Dogs & The Division reveals (which turned out -- to varying degrees -- to be bullshit).

Yeah I really had Watch Dogs 2 in mind when I created this and that's basically the inspiration for my feelings, I just connected the dots and realized the way I felt when trying to get back into the game is the way I feel most of the time when I try to get back into a modern Ubisoft game I lost interest in. What you have to say about it is definitely something I can relate to as well. I think first game was always a lot more interesting to me simply because the world seemed to have more depth and the main character had more of a unique personality and purpose for what they were doing. It was simply a more interesting story to me where I felt a much stronger desire to continue playing. Same way I felt going from Far Cry 3 to 4, 3 just had far more interesting characters and a much deeper story that made me want to keep going, while in 4 there was just this bland open feeling where I felt like I was just doing the same generic busy work to generally progress along, like there was no reason for me to really care about what I was doing after the game really opened up. Same way I feel when playing FC6 as well, which has similar feeling characters to WD2, the "hey kids we're cool" vibes as you put it, if it was the 90's you could summarize them as Poochie sort of characters from The Simpsons, shallow characters that just play up a certain image more than anything that's related to the conventional pop culture standards of the era.

Last edited:

Jimmy_liv

What? Seems like a lot of people are sharing their opinions on the subject matter and have a lot of different things to say about it, that's a success as far as I'm concerned.

Uhh no, it's called criticism, the foundation for what every critic is supposed to do. What do you want from me? To be creating topics where all I do is talk about how much I love everything and ask for a thumbs up? That's not exactly the foundation for an interesting conversation lol.

So Ubisoft's open world games now represent the entire gaming industry as a whole? Not sure what you're trying to get at here. It would be more like me criticizing a particular director or production company that makes a lot of movies that feel similar if you want to go with that.
Well, the games I've listed are a fair spread of different gaming genres and so to simply make a ridiculous umbrella statement such as 'ubisoft games are boring'....you may as well be saying 'animals are loud'...what...all of them??

If you can't see what's wrong with that generalisation....well, I can't help you!

Last edited:

kiphalfton

This is when you play the game like it's a linear game, and only play the main missions.

I mean does anybody really need any of the useless skills in the skill tree, or weapon add on, etc. that don't really add anything to the game. Doubtful.

Only an issue though if progress in the main missions is gated by needing to play side missions though (which I think I read AC Origins does).

I'm what the kids would call a bit of a 'basic bitch' when it comes to games, so I quite enjoy Ubisoft games and their formula. Easy to pick up after a while not playing without much fuss, generally good graphics, a nice story to follow. No fuss.

Hoppa

Isn’t that the general consensus? Not that it’s necessarily a bad thing, I still like AC games myself

Katajx

Gold Member
Yes, they have differences. They do add and iterate, but I got tired after Assassin’s Creed 2 and one Far Cry game.

I feel like they find something successful and they exhaust me of it. I won’t hate on someone for enjoying them though.

Aion002

Ubisoft peaked at the ps360 gen.

So many cool games like Assassin's Creed (2 to Black Flag), End War (I bought a headset on the ps3 just to play it) , Far cry (2 and 3), Ghost Recon Warfighter, Splinter Cell Blacklist, R6 Vegas, Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands and others... I bought almost all ubi games at launch on the ps3.

I still like Ubi games, but current Ubi kinda "plays safe" and tries to make their games last a lot, so most are bloated and that's where the repetitiveness comes.

Like, if you play AC Odyssey for like 40 hours, you will probably have a good time, but after those 40 hours the game is basically more of the same for more 100 hours or something... I played AC Odyssey for 70 hours and I just stopped, I started hating the game, I bought the complete edition and after 70 hours I hadn't even finished the base game main quest.

Same thing happened in Far Cry 6, I played like 20 hours and I hadn't explored half of the map.

At first I hated them for it, but now I just accept it, I play ubi games for as longs as I am enjoying it, I don't care about finishing them anymore.

Scotty W

Gold Member
They need to rename themselves 8.5 Studios, cuz that’s their metacritic score, and my level of interest in their games.

DanielG165

I like most Ubisoft games, honestly. The open world Assassin’s Creed games are some of my favorites of theirs, for instance, and Immortals is genuinely one of my favorite modern games.

Top Bottom