• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you store fruit in the fridge?

• Yes

Votes: 72 76.6%
  • No

Votes: 17 18.1%
  • I don't eat fruit

Votes: 5 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dr_octagon

Banned
Gaf(ruit)

This applies to most but not all, in case of spoiling the flavour. You may cut it up and fridge or freeze. I dunno, you tell me.

Thread is certified vegan friendly.

Kamina

Golden Boy
No, not unless is is very hot or the fruit is cut up in some way.
Cut up apples we store in the fridge.
Ripe bananas in peak summer may also go in the fridge.

Edit: I may add that our fridge is pretty cool at about 3*C for the beer, and fruits mostly turn out too cold to eat comfortably when stored at such temperatures.

Last edited:
What about the eggs?
Wife prefers to keep them in my pants. I prefer them out.

Guess who wins.

(And im american, not some euro-heathen so eggs go in the fridge…where they belong. Just as the bird intended. Not under its hot feathered cloaca)

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Just noticed that this thread isn’t vegan friendly anymore.

(And im western, not some euro-heathen so eggs go in the fridge…where they belong. Just as the bird intended. Not under its hot feathered cloaca)
There are many countries in europe.
In Austria we also usually store eggs in the fridge.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
In the bedroom for cuddling!

jellycat-amuseable-wassermelone-28cm.jpg

Never in the fridge. They are alowed to run around freely.

Jennings

Bananas, no. But I don't eat those, so I don't care that they're left out.

Everything else, yes. I prefer cold crisp fruit. I don't like room temperature fruit.

Exceptions include fruit that still needs to ripen.

Tams

Only soft fruit like berries.

Though my general rule is I store it as I bought it. The only exceptions being if I know I'm not going to be able to eat all of some fresh fruit or vegetables that aren't refrigerated in the shops, in which case I will refrigerate them.

Meicyn

Gold Member
As with most things, it depends. Pineapple? That has to sit on the counter so it can ripen to a golden hue on the outside, then you cut it up. Once cut, then it gets stored in the fridge.

Bananas stay on the counter. Oranges go in the fridge.

Jsisto

Generally no. If I have a piece of fruit that is slightly overripe and mushy(like say a stonefruit) but not to point of being spoiled, I might throw it in the fridge or freezer for a little while to firm it up so it’s easier to eat.

Artoris

Gold Member
The banana are still green wtf! People eat them like that? My parents have a banana plantation. You need to put them outside to get ripe, too yellow means they will get too soft and mid green has no flavor!
No bananas here, but the mushroom season is approaching, and I look forward to it

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Ripe fruit goes in the fridge. Fruit that needs to ripen goes in my fruit basket. Tomatoes go in the fruit basket.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yeah fridge is for stopping the ripening process... pretty basic science stuff. Many fruits rarely if ever need that, but certain ones that "over-ripen" too quickly sometimes need it. Avocado for instance it's nice to find that perfect ripeness then stop the process.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Once they’re ripe, yeah. If they’re not ripe, put ‘em by the window.

(I have no idea if that actually does anything, but I convinced myself it does)

GeekyDad

Gaf(ruit)

This applies to most but not all, in case of spoiling the flavour. You may cut it up and fridge or freeze. I dunno, you tell me.

Thread is certified vegan friendly.
Apples, yes, because they're nice and crunchy after. Pears, peaches, nectarines I leave out to ripen (sometimes plums if I buy them slightly unripe). I try to buy just enough for what I'm gonna eat that day or two. Peaches and pears, of course, you usually have to buy a day or three ahead of time to let them ripen. Bananas, of course, have to stay out, but they're excellent frozen once ripened for use in smoothies.

Berries, always in fridge.

Last edited:
I'll chime in just because others have. I only have organic eggs and they never go in the fridge 🙊. The only fruit that doesn't go into my fridge is bananas, but that's not a deal breaker I'd still enjoy it all the same. Also who the fuck doesn't put watermelon in the fridge!

Fuz

Banned
Mostly yes. I don't like when they mature too much, I prefer them less sugary and firmer.
Avocados depends on how ripe they are. Too hard are left out of the fridge, obviously.
But I mostly don't have this problem 'cause we have an orchard and a vegetable garden behind my parents' home, so I just pick and eat at will. I can't really eat supermarket crap. Never buy meat and vegetables in supermarkets.

What about the eggs?
Supermarket shit eggs go in the fridge. House eggs don't.
too yellow means they will get too soft and mid green has no flavor!
I actually like the no-flavour ones. At least more that the very ripe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom