• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you support leaks when company takes too long to release info?

Do you?

• Yes, always

Votes: 45 34.9%
  • Yes, sometimes

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • No, never

Votes: 55 42.6%

• Total voters
Hello. We all remember initial PS5 UI presentation:

62xX00z.jpg
ddd5ROC.jpg
QzpcVjx.jpg

Dusty TV in some Russian dump, rudimentary UI, just how Sony wanted. And that was all because Sony was taking so long to finally reveal crucial aspect of every new console - UI. People were literally begging them to finally reveal their shit.

And now years after initial Elder Ring reveal, we got the leak in some true 🥔 quality and From Soft only have themselves to blame. You can’t keep blueballing your fanatic fanbase for years on end. Reveal title font and then radiosilence for years (Bethesda, I’m looking at you too). Not professional.

I find it acceptable and good in certain cases like above mentioned. I know they have their marketing plans and schedules but fans have the right too to know wtf is going on. 2-3 years is a long time, that was typical interval between sequels back in the day. And look at it now, frustrating if you’re fan.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah why not, love some leaks. They give a glimpse that might or might not be true, but at least they are fun and provide for some conversation.

but fans have the right too to know wtf is going on
Unless pre-orders are open... no, not at all. You are not entitled to anything and it doesn't matter if you are a fan or not.

Learn to wait, and if you don't like leaks, just don't go to twitter or don't open their threads in gaming forums.

TheAssist

(I am not directing this at the OP, but the people leaking stuff)

Do you support illegal actions against a company and threaten jobs and livelihoods if their marketing department does not fit you personal and arbitrary needs?

People are so god damn weird. If the dev/publisher does not want to release info thats their god damn business. You are not entitled to anything. You dont know whats going on behind the scenes and why things are handled the way they are. Of course one can always kindly ask, but thats about it. Unless you are a shareholder of that company, that is entirely not your business. What kind of perverted thinking is this?

Whats next? Burning down the local supermarket chain because they didnt carry you favorite instant noodles?

This world is getting crazier and more entitled by the minute.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
yep. publishers/developers need to fucking quit this bullshit.

stop announcing shit way too early. if it's only starting production then STFU and get working. when it's nearly done then COMMUNICATE. stop treating it like some god damn top secret.

all that does it make me not give a shit about your game. communicate with fans/buyers. stop treating us like fucking donkeys. we're in the age of social media so USE IT. stop teasing or pretending it doesn't exist.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
No.

Leakers are despicable assholes who ignore the fact that they're taking away from hard-working developers the chance to reveal their games on their own terms (which they deserve) for personal gain. There is literally nothing ethically acceptable about leaking video games reveals. No one else than the leaker gains anything from it and it negatively impacts developers.

Last edited:

MHubert

If we somehow arrive at a point in time where fans do not nitpick trailers and every bit of info released and then compare a work in progress to the final product, to then scream about how the devs were 'litteraly lying' to them - I think they would be prone to release more info during development.

Edit: And no, I do not support leaks, just like I generally don't support spoiling surprises people have worked hard to prepare.

Last edited:
yep. publishers/developers need to fucking quit this bullshit.

stop announcing shit way too early. if it's only starting production then STFU and get working. when it's nearly done then COMMUNICATE. stop treating it like some god damn top secret.

all that does it make me not give a shit about your game. communicate with fans/buyers. stop treating us like fucking donkeys. we're in the age of social media so USE IT. stop teasing or pretending it doesn't exist.

4zz7bx.jpg

It's hilarious to watch people like you seethe. Do you hear a game announcement and then sit and stew about it until release? What kind of behavior is this haha. This sounds like a you problem, learn to control yourself? Announce your game a decade in advance who gives a shit.

No. "Takes too long" is just gamer entitlement. You are projecting your own impatience into something that doesn't exist. You have no idea how long it should take, or will take. You are not entitled to anything.

I would suggest trying to have some kind of patience. Maybe try reading a book. People these days have the attention span of a brundle fly.

Last edited:

GymWolf

No, i can live without any leaks.

I can get mad if they forget to put news after years and years of silence like the new metroid, but leaks kinda ruin the joy of an official reveal and info dump.

Not really. Leaks genuinely ruin presentations and hype for a game. Even if it's taken an eternity to get any more info of Elden Ring :messenger_grinning_sweat:, It would've been far sweeter seeing it officially presented with all the reactions it would've had.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Yep. I've posted and hinted at stuff that Ive known, and I support others to do the same. Do you really think any of capcoms leaked releases in 2024 are going to be THAT impacted because someone knows there's a power stone remake coming?
Nah.

Most game devs and people in the dev industry are kinda socially awkward, controlling, dogmatic people. So it's no wonder having something not under THEIR ARTISTIC GENIUS MIND that they can't claim credit for bothers them.

Last edited:
I just don't understand why people are so impatient regarding entertainment products. Why is a certain unreleased product that important to you, where you need to beg for info?

There's multiple reasons why marketing goes silent for an extended period of time. Usually it's complicated.

If people are just really that bored, there's a shit ton of other stuff already out there to enjoy.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Yep. I've posted and hinted at stuff that Ive known, and I support others to do the same. Do you really think any of capcoms leaked releases in 2024 are going to be THAT impacted because someone knows there's a power stone remake coming?
Nah.

Most game devs and people in the dev industry are kinda socially awkward, controlling, dogmatic people. So it's no wonder having something not under THEIR ARTISTIC GENIUS MIND that they can't claim credit for bothers them.

What a misleading headline from IGN (unsurprisingly) and what a crappy attempt to defend despicable leaks.

The documents it's taken from mentions clearly there has been no significant impact on "TITLE RELEASES," IE on the release schedule. It doesn't in any shape or form mention that it had no impact on the games or on the developers.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
dont support leaks, as much as we want to see a game the devs work hard no matter how good or bad a game looks we should wait till they are ready to show us

Leaks are cool but this culture of demanding info constantly on a game, and feeling entitled to know everything about a game, is toxic. It is harmful to the games. It over fuels hype and expectations. There are lunatic fanbois out there who go crazy and get possessive. You will see them cursing devs and acting out with extreme aggression over things that are as insignificant as release dates or early builds. Calm down. This is entertainment. This is a luxury product. You are acting like an addict. A lot of this stuff is poorly reported, meaning people are reacting to misinformation a lot of time as well. Take a step back and have some perspective.

It's ok to anticipate, and it's ok to look at leaks, but to demand them, or to feel entitled to anything other than a final game, is bad form. It's also kind of pathetic consumer simping. Just chill out. The games will come when they come. If you rush them, they will not be as good. Let them make the games. Don't make them devote a bunch of time to consumer interfacing.

This is the mistakes that Hello Games made, when Sean went around giving tons of interviews to these rabid people who were cataloging every idea he had under "PROMISES". In reality he should have just sat back and worked on the game and not revealed anything, not given any of those "promises" in the first place, No Man's Sky would have gotten a much more realistic reception. If it was just that one trailer then a few more closer to release, people would not have all this stuff to weigh it against. Sean should have spent all that time talking to journalists just working on the game. It is the game that is important, not coddling obsessive fans.

Last edited:

Esca

Leaks don't bother me either way. What does is when games are announced so far in advance and go radio silent for years. Fuck that. We need announcements for games when they are coming out in a reasonable time frame.

Karak

They don't bother me but I don't have any kind of magical clock that says too much time has passed or too little. So I can't say something happens and I am now like "TIME FOR DEM LEAKS!"

MiguelItUp

They don't bother me, but most of the time what we see is an unfinished product. Which, again, doesn't bother me and I still get excited about it, haha. However, it's always a shame to see some folks out there saying "SHIT GAME, LOOKS STUPID" etc., even though the game is FAR off from being anywhere near complete. Hell, even when you'd think it's BLATANTLY obvious, lol.

That being said, it's really hard to not assume that they're some kind of purposeful leaks. Some of them are surely, and some aren't. But when it's a product that you know people are chomping at the bit at, the tiniest morsel can go a long way for them.

I'd personally just like to wait for when the dev is ready for us to see it so we can see it in its pretty glory.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Not really; not gonna cry for companies that suffer leaks, but I also am not that thirsty for info, and it's probably best to let companies control their marketing.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Actually leaks work for both sides. Players satisfy their curiosity and it gives developers a chance to reshape the final version according to good or bad feedback. They can always state that it is not the final version and get away with it. Or would they prefer a official reveal like "Halo Infinite: Delay"?:messenger_smiling_horns:

mortal

Gold Member
Leaks either happen or they don't happen. If it can somehow be prevented, then sure. Although once it's out there it becomes free information at that point.

CamHostage

It's a good question. On the surface, fuck-yeah, give me shit that I don't have, pirate it if you have to, just gimme gimme gimme...

However, I appreciate the ethics of a company controlling its narrative, and when something leaks, it's fun for the users but it's hell inside the office where the thing is being made. If it's already a tense production, it's not helping things for the workflow to suddenly have to shift around tightening up security. If some itchy kid in the stock room or a begrudging tester wants "build his brand" by setting up a leaker account and snapping material from the hard work of hundreds of others on the team who will all have to deal with the fallout of their project getting the publisher pissed at the team, that's kind of fucked.

Also, I see the destructive powers of the general audience ripping into material that's not meant for their consumption. They gnaw into leaked material and analyze it from every angle, and that impression sticks. if it's junky material that's from an off build of the project, developers will be digging themselves out of a hole instead of starting fresh when they finally do come out public. If it's great material, that's a start, but a hype cycle is carefully timed to maximize the exposure, and the company will still have to have a public unveiling after the leak, so if like a whole mostly-done trailer leaks, then a month later they actually release the finished trailer on the planned timeline, and people have an adverse reaction to it being "not enough new", that's another unintended hole for the developers.

And then, of course, fake leaks are damaging, and you can never be sure what's real and what's fake until its time has come.

I tend to cringe at hearing about leaks, having known some people who have worked on things that they take care in how best to introduce to an audience. But I can't say I don't look. And especially given that some projects never come out of development, those leaks may be all we ever get, and it may be harder to leak once a project is shut down and a leaker loses access to the content, so bless the leaker in that case.

If game companies were more forthcoming with how development on a project is going and less punitive on a developer going public with the circumstances of the project work, it'd be a better industry. We'd know why Elden Ring was taking so long to show, and we could maybe calm down over it not showing every time we get hyped up over a possible event. But they don't trust us, and we've given them fair reason not to trust. A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals. But leakers can get to the meat, and so if the owners won't feed us, no surprise that somebody will break in and take it if they can.

Derktron

Banned
I voted yes because it doesn’t effect me in any way. I don’t take these leaks serious. But that’s just me.

Hugare

I love me some leaks

I'm talking about pictures or videos like what we got with Elden Ring or Bloodborne

It gets me hyped, and its good to see how the game is shaping up to be

A GTA VI leak, for example, would be insane. Would love to know how is the state of the game right now.

DESTROYA

Most leaks are BS fanboy fantasies for the most part and games can change direction in the process, leaking shit early is almost a never good idea.

Sejan

Yes and no. I really hate leaks that are filled with spoilers. I like leaks that mostly just serve as additional hype.

A low quality phone picture that may or may not be real is usually lots of fun and is unlikely to damage the game that is being leaked since most of the discussion about it is whether or not its real.

RPSleon

I imagine it can derail the hype train if old gameplay or placeholder sound and visuals are seen and expected to be the final product.

Areiz

Banned
Only if the leak is end up to be pretty accurate and only informative of the real state of the game

I don't really support leaks, but I reckon that they have no significant effect on final sales one way or the other.

Last edited:
Top Bottom