• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you support leaks when company takes too long to release info?

Do you?

• Yes, always

Votes: 45 34.9%
  • Yes, sometimes

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • No, never

Votes: 55 42.6%

• Total voters

Zephir

I mean...

When they spend months, saying things like "We're excited to show you this", "We can't wait", "We'll show it to you when the time is right"....then you wait almost a year 'till they announce the reveal....and then, they show you a CG teaser trailer, before several more months of absolute silence...

The industry itself is making people yearning for leaks, because they believe their "hype timing" will turn into more sales, when in the end, the ones that will buy the product will only be the ones interested in it from the beginning + word of mouth...and they just wanna see a game in action and buy it soon, without waiting years.

Personally, I wanna drown in spoilers about the next Sonic game, since the original reveal was supposed to happen last year and yet SEGA is all about "We'll reveal it again when it makes sense, now not the right time, blah blah blah"

YukiOnna

Nope. I dislike it because it sucks the fun and surprise out of events and same goes for Insider information. There's usually a good reason why we haven't seen it yet and I'm willing to wait till they feel it's worth showing.

I only wish the announcement to release timeframe would be smaller.

Soodanim

I voted no, saw the pictures of the PS5 storage and changed my vote to sometimes.

If we are talking about information about games, there’s never a legitimate need for it. But the PS5 is a console release and things like storage are important to understand because it affects various things like whether or not you buy storage ahead of time to prepare.

There are no real world implications of game details being released, it’s just impatience.

kuncol02

Banned
Why anyone would be against leaks? How giving companies full control of information people know about their game would be even remotely good? Cyberpunk and Warcraft 3 Reforged launches didn't taught you guys anything?

Aenima

No i dont support it, but im also not against it. When it happens it happens.

Just sucks for developers that have an event planed to show all they new and exciting stuff, and that event is pretty much ruined by a leaker some days earlier.

Also some leaks can paint a product in a unfair negative way if the leaker is using old footage that looks worst than the most recent build.

bitbydeath

The majority of 'leaks' are leaks from the studio themselves, to test public opinion, its a well known market research ploy. There are very few genuine leaks. There are some yes, but a small percentage.
Agreed. I mean how is it even possible for people to still be taking pictures/videos with 20 year old potato cameras?

They have to be doctored to come out as shitty looking as they do.

replicant-

No, but I can see how it happens. And completely understand why people want to see the leaks when it happens.

This is the downside of holding back a marketing campaign - it increases the risk of a leak.

Arkam

As much as I love getting info, I still hate leaks. I think they do more damage than good. And worse when that (broken) system is abused by “controlled leaks”.

Ellery

Well I don't support the act of leaking something that isn't ready for showing obviously. I would rather leaks don't happen and things are being shared when they are in a proper state.

I don't mind looking at gameplay leaks of games or information regarding something being in existence/release date etc., but anything regarding story is a big NO.
Some unfortunate souls ruined the best game of the generation for themselves by reading about (partially wrong) spoiler summaries of video games on 4chan. Super glad I didn't do it at at all.

I do look at most leaks though. Like I watched the Elden Ring clip once or twice, but not in close details. And now I am waiting for FROM to properly share something.

Kimahri

Banned
"too long" the entitlement is strong.

Now, your two examples are vastly different. The first is info that should have been revealed much earlier so people had a better idea of how this console worked. In that case I support leaks because it was a product that was about to launch, the date was set, it was open for pre-order, but info was sparce.

With a game like Elden Ring? Hell no. If they're not showing it it's because they're not ready to. They're working on it. If they had set a launch date and it's gonna launch in two weeks and we still got nothing while pre orders are open, okay, then I'd support leaks. But not just because you're tired of devs doing their jobs.

Gediminas

Banned
it depends. most leaks created by same companies which releasing the product.

if it is an actual leak, then it depends. if company communicates good - no, i don't approve leaks, but if said company release a trailer and disappears then yes, leaks are good.

Hey Blinkin

I don't mind them, but I have the discipline to not go looking for them if I don't want to be spoiled.

I'm also not convinced that some companies don't leak intentionally to drum up hype.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
This is a weirdly phrased question/poll.

I am not necessarily "for" leaks but they happen and they are part of the industry (and many other industries). Companies use them strategically as well. If companies wnat to control the narrative then they need to release more information faster, the longer they wait the greater the chance a leak will happen. I dont automatically think leakers = evil.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
How about the industry lays it all on the fucking table the way movies do it. Anounce immediately what project you work on and who is involved. If it gets canned later so be it. Yeah reveals are cool, but all this hush hush bullshit sometimes goes to far.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Yes, because the hype culture and ‘get excited’ mentality needs to die in fire. It contributes to unhealthy relationship between the public and game companies and is also frequently used to justify shit working conditions - ‘I’m super pumped for this new release, give it to me NOW!’.

Batiman

Banned
This is what pisses me off the most about Jason Sheirer. He always takes the moral high ground when it comes to developers but leaks their games when many devs mentioned how much it hurts them. Let devs reveal the game the way they want. I don’t throw hissy fits when a game does get leaked tho. I just couldn’t do it myself.

I think Apex legends did it best. Nobody saw it coming and it was just “ play it today”! Before negative speculation could occur from trailers etc. People got to try it for themselves right away. The game was good and successful. I can’t remember the last time something like that happened

Last edited:

Fbh

Sometimes they can be fun but for the most part I'm not a fan.
I'd rather watch the reveal as intended with good image quality than some shaky video seemingly recorded with a 2008 cellphone camera.

Arachnid

If you reveal your game years in advance, yes. It's not entitlement at that point. It's indifference. Sure, the dev's don't owe me anything as far as updates, but I don't owe them pity or support when they get leaked either.

Kojima made me wait five fucking years for Death Stranding. He didn't show gameplay until the last year, and even then, he showed waaaay too much action (legit every big combat encounter/cutscene, and there were few) while just having one video show the actual full gameplay loop. I wish someone had leaked that it was a legit hiking simulator years in advance so I could lower my expectations.

So hell yes, bring on the leaks. I don't owe the devs or pubs anything.

Last edited:

Tmack

No, thats a disgracefull for a lot of peoples work.

People need to stop to act like they are entitled to everythig. Such spoiled generation.

Termite

If it's just fans wanting marketing info for a teased but unreleased game, then no. You can wait, and have no right to info when and where you want it.

When there's something else going on, then yes. For example: An update to fix a game is promised but never materializes. That's when a journalist or concerned fan should be finding out when and if the promised update is going to be delivered. Same for leaks of cancelled games or struggles in game development. That stuff is news. "You haven't shown a trailer for 2 years GIMME TRAILER!" - that is not news.

Personally, what I'd love a leak about most of all is what has been happening to Retro over the past 7 or 8 years and how Metroid Prime 4 came to be cancelled and handed to them to restart it. The whole thing fascinates me.

I am OK with leaks as long as it is not company sensitive info .

But Regardless....I don't know about you but I always feel much better after a good leak,

Top Bottom