• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Videogames have a positive or negative effect on society?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Razoric said:
Their Leader: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board.aspx?fn=wow-general

Read that forum and then think about where we have gone wrong as a society.

One example: You have kids calling the developers pieces of shit, lazy, morons, etc all because Blizzard is giving a neat, non-combat, in-game reward to people who attend Blizzcon. There is even a fucking petition about it.

Now there is a turning point in someone's life when they would get worked up over someone else getting a fake polygon creature that does nothing but follow them around eventually to be stored in their "bank" never to be used again. At what point in someone's fucked up brain is it justified to outright attack Blizzard, the developers and other players because of something as trivial as an in-game pet?

And that is just one of MANY examples on that cesspool of a forum.

Yes, instead the WoW guys should be called all those names because their servers are laggy buggy peices of shit. :lol

I think they've definitely had a positive effect on me. I'm blind in my right eye, and they told me that I would have trouble with depth-perception. But I think playing baseball in middle school, and first-person shooters helped me with my eye-hand coordination, and reaction time which somehow in effect cancelled out any problems with depth perception I should have. Because I don't have any problems with it whatsoever.

And when I got out of the hospital at age 4, with one less eye, and couldn't even go outside for weeks...My NES DEFINITELY helped me channel all my energy into something positive, and kept me occupied.

Razoric

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
Yes, instead the WoW guys should be called all those names because their servers are laggy buggy peices of shit. :lol

Again, knee-jerk WoW forumish reaction.

If the servers were laggy, buggy, pieces of shit and you had /played 10-20 hours then you'd have a complaint. But if you say the servers are pieces of shit and have over 100+ hours logged in (at the very least, double the amount of any normal, offline RPG) then obviously they weren't pieces of shit now were they?

:D

Belfast

Positive. Any real problems from video games are thematic and those thematic elements seem to come from societal trends at large. I don't believe that video games, inherently, are a negative influence at all. Something interactive is far more engaging than other mediums which aren't.

Ranger X

Videogames are indeed good. They only become bad when played in exageration.... like pretty much anything you would exagerate with.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Razoric said:
Again, knee-jerk WoW forumish reaction.

If the servers were laggy, buggy, pieces of shit and you had /played 10-20 hours then you'd have a complaint. But if you say the servers are pieces of shit and have over 100+ hours logged in (at the very least, double the amount of any normal, offline RPG) then obviously they weren't pieces of shit now were they?

:D

Dude, lately, it's been a fucking mess. And it's been quite often.

They have had tons of difficulties as of late, and as a customer, I really don't give a shit what their problems are - I just want to get my moneys worth. When I go and try to play, and then I can't because of their tech difficulties, I get irritated.

This isn't the only time they've had a lot of problems.

I don't, however, post on their forums.

Razoric

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
Dude, lately, it's been a fucking mess. And it's been quite often.

Really? In the past week on two different servers I've taken two characters from level 1-15 with basically no problem. (testing the waters on new servers / different classes)

But hopefully 1.7 will clear up any problem you're having. Anyway enough of the WoW derailing.

Videogames don't hurt society but certain games seems to hurt more than help. Like WoW. :D

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Razoric said:
Really? In the past week on two different servers I've taken two characters from level 1-15 with basically no problem.

Well, they have quite a few different servers. My wife has been dropped in the ocean countless times. I've had problems connecting, so has she, they posted multiple times on the main login page that they are aware of the problems and apologizing. So I don't think they are apologizing because I am making all of this shit up in my head.

Razoric said:
Videogames don't hurt society but certain games seems to hurt more than help. Like WoW. :D

WoW hurts my console playing. And that is a bad thing. :lol

Top Bottom