• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anybody here like playing with Double Ds?

0neAnd0nly

Typically I prefer the size and feel of single D, but I was browsing some websites when I came across this which ‘peaked my joystick’ as it were…

blogroll-1585004164068_160w.jpg

Apparently 8bitdo came out with a controller for Switch that features 2 big ole D pads.

It got me wondering - we have become so incredibly use to having a joy stick in our hands today, would this even be FUNCTIONAL for most people?

Anybody here at all tried these yet? How did it feel?

Here is Maxi Geek review, and I noticed one from IGN as well.

Thoughts?

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Typically I prefer the size and feel of single D, but I was browsing some websites when I came across this which ‘peaked my joystick’ as it were…

Apparently 8bitdo came out with a controller for Switch that features 2 big ole D pads.

It got me wondering - we have become so incredibly use to having a joy stick in our hands today, would this even be FUNCTIONAL for most people?

Thoughts?
This looks like it would introduce arthritis much earlier than any thumbstick pad.

calistan

Is it just me or is there something weird about that image? Scroll it up so the top part is slightly off the screen and look at the pad, it seems like the whole thing is slowly drifting to the left (I had an eye test just two weeks ago, can't rule out insanity though).

Thoughts?
I'm more of a Double J's kinda guy.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I know OP made a tongue In cheek joke but it took all my willpower not to give him a custom tag as follows

"Prefers the size and feel of a single D"

Pallas

Gold Member
Double D’s are nice and all but I prefer the simplicity of a C Cu—-Oh that kind of double D.

Awkward Bye Bye GIF

0neAnd0nly

It would probably feel like first person and third person games in the early 90s when they thought a keyboard was all that you needed.

Fair point! I am glad to have at least one answer in here I understand, so many other answers seem to be drifting off topic?

A man of true culture! So your an old school double D’er?! Have you ever been tempted to flick the thumb stick or just keep the Ds on your tips the entire time? Thanks man!

I prefer to play with my joystick.

I don’t input shame dude! What size joystick? Thumb, or flight? My question is always re: joysticks - is it the size of the joystick that counts, or how you use it?

I always make sure to press the right buttons

I do hope these d-pads have a nice, firm feel to them when pressing them! That’s one of my questions about this controller.

Thread title…

Lying Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Oh, did you think I was asking about another kind of D

Pad controller setup?

Ask my wife.

Is she experienced with these controllers types? That’s amazing! You’re a lucky man!

They're my favourites.

A lot more fans of this controller than I thought there would be!

At least this one won‘t suffer of stick drift.

Bro that’s SUCH a good point! I just hope the Ds don’t feel loose and floppy like some cheaper pads do :-/

Season 9 Yes GIF by Friends

Oh I've seen some wonky ones.

That’s what happens when so much today in made in China :( electronic durability has definitely suffered :-/

IT was my first experience, and my current.

That’s what I want to hear about, thoughts from VETERAN DD users!!

Depends, sometimes after years of use they can feel loose and floppy and need a firmer grip to get any sort of positive feedback.

Yeah man, that’s my concern as 8bitdo is definitely making these for cheap in China. Uncertain of quality and durability!

Sometimes but they don’t always feel right.
40 year old virgin sand GIF

I feel like it would be one heck of a learning curve since I am use to standard setups.

I'm more of a Double J's kinda guy.

Ohhh, is this a different game pad?? You’ll have to show me!

Too much for me, give me a perky c any day

I’m not familiar with this either, but I’m certainly not here to input-shame!

At my age I’ll take any cup size
Double D’s are nice and all but I prefer the simplicity of a C Cu—-Oh that kind of double D.

I’m so confused, I am talking about controllers - not cups. This is gaming, not off topic. On the subject of cups, I do enjoy a nice fat round glass to shove my face in when I’m parched - but that might be a discussion for OT! What’s your favorite drink for them?

Stick a joystick between them and it would be perfect.

3 inputs seem crowded, maybe even lacking an identity - but whatever floats your boat man! Not sure I would want to partake in that, personally!

In honor of pride month i'm going to be playing with two big sticks.
C6pWNH7.png

Sega truly did erect some fantastic stuff. 2 hands full of stick just isn’t my style honestly, but I won’t shame anyone for playing that way… I guess.

I know OP made a tongue In cheek joke but it took all my willpower not to give him a custom tag as follows

"Prefers the size and feel of a single D"

No joking here - I’m no switch-hitter. Just want the best inputs for my Handheld, and I feel like the bigger and plentiful DDs may work fantastically!

I feel like this has to be the most unnecessary of all rhetorical questions.

Wow, in where I grew up joystick / thumb stick and D pad was the preferred - but some of you commenting seems like you’ve been DD users the whole time. I might have to order this thing and give it a whirl!

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
More of a B or C person myself. There should be something there to handle, but not TOO much. Not too many, I mean. D-pads.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
DD’s are the best.

As for that…thing. Nah. All those years I spent using a d-pad, but we’ve advanced beyond that now. I only use it as a select button now.

Top Bottom