• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else remember when games use to have platform exclusive music?

JordanN

Banned
You can definitely tell we're now living in the distant future, because I remember it was quite common for games on multiple platforms to always have their own music.
This was for the obvious reason that not all platforms had the exact same sound processors (or other limitations, like the N64 cartridges holding less space than PS1's CD) and yet,
depending on the game I didn't actually see this as being "inferior" or "superior". They were for a better word, "different".

For example, the opening to Earthworm Jim - New Junk City, only the SNES version had a more "depressing" vibe whereas the official version was more an up beat cartoony version.

Even though the HD version obviously looks better, I still rather play the SNES version because it better captures the atmosphere of the game.

Or as I talked about earlier, there was also the case of N64 & PS1 games beyond just graphical reasons. I imagine the N64 wasn't technically limited when it came to sound, but because catridges were expensive and short on space, Developers found other creative ways to remix their songs for the platform.

Now imagine if the PS5 and Xbox Series X were ever to attempt the same thing? It's 99% not going to happen but at least there it was a reason to try and own all these different platform versions.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
🤔 I think you could possibly be the only one to remember this!
Today's Gaffers must be from the 2000s then.

They were still a baby when the last platforms with music differences still existed (i.e PS2/GC/Xbox).

Or when it came to handhelds, DS & PSP were the last to sound different.

Last edited:

Iorv3th

I didn't really notice but I usually only played on one platform so I didn't notice. However I remember some games being on SNES and Genesis and having the same name but being completely different games.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah it was a different era 'cause they would make different versions of the same game, too, whether for licensing reasons or hardware limitations. I don't see the point of doing platform-specific soundtracks anymore, unless it was an extra bonus (like, "Our partnership with Nintendo allows you to play through Axiom Verge with the official Super Metroid OST" or something).

Top Bottom