• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else remember Thrill Kill the game EA banned?

havoc00

The unreleased fighting game follows a handful of demented characters who have been vanquished to hell and must fight in a grizzly tournament for a chance to be reincarnated on Earth. Each character represents a vice or mental illness such as lust, psychotic behavior or gluttony. Players must perform gory finishing moves called “thrill kills” to move onto the next stage. The thrill kills are very similar to the fatalities in Mortal Kombat but fail to give players the same frenzied satisfaction.

Originally, Thrill Kill's creators wanted the game to be the first AO rated title in video game history. They did everything they could to push the limits of video game censorship. Characters dressed in risqué outfits, thrill kills were as violent and bloody as possible, and lewd content became commonplace. After realizing most retail stores refused to carry AO rated games, Thrill Kill’s development team dimmed down the game's more controversial elements.

Virgin Interactive planned on publishing the game in 1998 but ended up dissolving into EA after Electronic Arts purchased Westwood Studios, a developer Virgin Interactive owned at the time. After seeing Thrill Kill's graphic content for the first time, EA immediately canceled the project despite it being a finished product. EA thought Thrill Kill would tarnish its image and didn't want to deal with the immense backlash the game was destined to receive.

havoc00

well wutang came with its own controller, thats something right?
i dont remember i just know for whatever reason i pre oreded the wutang game, lol and when i went to pick it up they only got like 2 copies and took like a half hour to find mine.

Braag

I learned about it through Matt's video

It's funny how tame it is compared to stuff these days. Like yeah the setting is kinda disturbing and EA didn't want to deal with the PR and the AO rating, but we have worse stuff these days I feel like.

Last edited:

acm2000

i dont remember i just know for whatever reason i pre oreded the wutang game, lol and when i went to pick it up they only got like 2 copies and took like a half hour to find mine.
behold in all its glory

wu-tang-clan-controller-front-1590347716-53-transparent.webp

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I played a bootleg copy of what would've been the release version of the game. It was bad. Even for shock value, the amusement wore off almost immediately. I can see why EA would cancel it given the image they wanted to maintain at the time, but the world didn't miss out on much either way.

Top Bottom