• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does it bother you seeing animals kill other animals?

TaySan

Banned
I know it's mother nature and all, but still their living beings and to see it happen makes me want to look away. Especially if its just for fun like one of my cats like bringing dead birds in the house for fun. :/ Not cool dude thats a waste of life.

What? No. It's nature man. Although I do have a bizarre aversion to house cats just roaming the neighborhoods shitting and pissing and killing stuff. Keep your cat on a leash in your yard or inside the house or something people.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Thats their nature, they want to live. They aren’t predators just for fun. You’ll do the same if you were put in the same situation.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
no. it's nature. that's the way life is. it doesn't surprise me that people would be judgmental towards animals. it's the silliest and most pointless thing but that never stopped anyone. people love to self indulge in their own moral righteousness, however misguided.

im not gonna judge a cat for killing because that is what they do. you as a "pet owner" are the real monster, cutting off their balls, keeping them locked and imprisoned and childless for their entire lives. where do you get off judging them?

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
No they are killers just like us. We tend to idealize them ( I enjoy the company of animals more than people mostly ) but pets aren’t the same as nature. They would gleefully tear you apart if it meant survival.

“Nature is savage.” - Joe Rogan

I don’t enjoy watching it but I accept it’s a natural process. I don’t seek out these kind of videos on YouTube or anything but I do enjoy the Planet Earth documentaries and whatnot

“Death in the wild is either death by violence, death by cold, or death by starvation.” - Teddy Roosevelt

Last edited:

TaySan

Banned
Humans do suck i agree it's not my place to judge them. I think it's hard when it's a little baby that's killed. Like they didn't even have a chance to live a life. :( Adults less so.

Moogle11

Banned
I mean I don't like see it happening in front of me, but don't think it needs to be prevented, reduced etc. as it's just nature. Just not pleasant watching one living thing kill another so I'm not going to watch videos of it occurring or whatever.

Nymphae

Banned
So much testosterone in here lol. I don't really enjoy seeing anything get killed. Yeah I understand it's the natural order and I don't cry about it, but if I see something get killed I am usually momentarily like oh shit that sucks for him. If I'm watching a nature doc, yeah I do kind of "feel bad" for the animal that has the teeth getting sunk into it's flesh, I'm certainly not just watching stoically like "Mmm. Yes. This is the way of all things."

Barsinister

Banned
aLClbdU.jpg

insects in theory kinda have it good

insects lack nociceptors, which is something mammals have (it allows us to feel the sensation of pain)

i think a grizzly bear is the worst to get eaten by, they'll be slurping on your guts while you're still alive

TindalosPup

This made me think about the time my cat was cuddling with me, turned into a liquid and melted off the bed, then jumped right back up with a mouse dying in her mouth and dropped it right next to me

What bothered me most was that she dropped it right next to my head and it bled out on my bed

I windmill kicked out of the bed (I swear I turned into a helicopter), disposed of the body, and changed my sheets

Animals killing animals has never hit the way it used to since that day

Edit: my cat is a tiny Siamese with a lazy eye to give some further imagery

Last edited:
1*wuhil5dHn7k-RYG7JW3Uqw.gif

You're damn right it does. Any kind of death cuts me deep, foo'~

Unless of course the Japanese giant praying mantis swarms that are soon to emerge from the eggs hanging on my garden fence can take down a few dozen of the fucking Mukade demon centipedes that lay siege to my house last year~
mukade.gif

If I'm watching a nature doc, yeah I do kind of "feel bad" for the animal that has the teeth getting sunk into it's flesh, I'm certainly not just watching stoically like "Mmm. Yes. This is the way of all things."
Yeah.. with you mate.. there was a time when "documentaries are full of killing these days" was a development.. we blamed tv values.. i for one am so nonplussed by the umpteenth super slow mo gazelle getting analized and chewed alive~

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
When they removed the wolves from Yellowstone the herbivores were eating all the plants and it was getting harder for the plants to grow. Eventually there would've been no plants for them to eat and they would have starved themselves so they introduced the wolves back to the ecosystem and keep the herbivores in check and also enable plants to regrow at a decent rate. Remember trees are alive too and need their leaves to absorb sunlight for energy brah u don't want them to die off otherwise the whole ecosystem will collapse I think. Apex predators are very important to maintain balance brah

DESTROYA

Poor guy he knew he was pretty much fucked. :(
Fuck squirrels, all they do is eat all the fruit off my Apple and Peach trees and just about everything else I plant in my garden. I don’t try to avoid them when I see them crossing the street with my truck. Fuck the little bastards.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
This made me think about the time my cat was cuddling with me, turned into a liquid and melted off the bed, then jumped right back up with a mouse dying in her mouth and dropped it right next to me

What bothered me most was that she dropped it right next to my head and it bled out on my bed

I windmill kicked out of the bed (I swear I turned into a helicopter), disposed of the body, and changed my sheets

Animals killing animals has never hit the way it used to since that day

Edit: my cat is a tiny Siamese with a lazy eye to give some further imagery

Lol ur cat did u a favor brah should've thanked her

Whitesnake

Banned
Can’t stand seeing dogs or cats get killed, but I’m desensitized to everything else.

Nature is brutal. An animal will not immediately kill if it isn’t necessary, as that would be time and energy wasted. Immobilizing prey is just as good as killing it, from the predator’s perspective.

For example, Hyenas eat the ass of their prey first, as that’s usually the first thing they can latch onto when chasing from behind. They eat the ass end first while the prey is still alive, screaming and flailing which turns to whimpers and twitching. The ass is, of course, a long way from the heart and brain, so the prey will only see rest from this torture after they lose consciousness from blood loss, which will be quite a bit after the hyenas start tearing it apart.

Kelp Gulls will land on the backs of baby whales and peck away at their skin and blubber, deforming the calf at best, and giving it a slow torturous death at worst. The calfs don’t have as great a lung capacity, so they need to surface much more frequently, and while mature whales will know to to flick their tail, arch their back, roll around, etc, in order to get the birds off of their back, the calves are not yet smart enough to do so, so they just sit there and let the gulls peck away at their flesh.

I have seen a video of a Coconut Crab breaking both wings of a Red-Footed Booby with its claws before eating it, the bird bleeding and screaming the whole time, while several other Coconut Crabs approach to join in after the bird became immobilized.

The Shoebill Stork almost always has 2 chicks per clutch, and those chicks start pecking and fighting each other as soon as they hatch. The mother only feeds the one that wins, the other is ignored and eventually staves to death.

The term “Brood Parasite“ is used to describe bird species like the Cuckoo and the Cowbird who, after laying their eggs, drop their eggs into the nests of other birds. Oftentimes the parent of that nest will mistake the egg for its own, and will raise the parasite long enough for it to become self-sufficient. There have been documented cases where, if the nest‘s parent does not fall for it and gets rid of the egg, the egg’s parent will come and destroy all of the nest’s eggs while the nest-parent is away in order dissuade them from rejecting anymore parasitic eggs, kind of like the mafia. If this wasn’t bad enough, these Brood Parasite species often have a much faster growth rate than most of their victim species, allowing their chick to hatch and grow such that they grow enough to start pushing out the other eggs and chicks, killing them. It already instinctually knows to do this at a very young age; It commits these murders while it’s still just a pink blob that has no feathers and still can’t properly open its eyes.

Suddenly a house-cat swiftly killing a mouse or bird doesn’t sound so bad, does it?

Last edited:

TaySan

Banned
Can’t stand seeing dogs or cats get killed, but I’m desensitized to everything else.

Nature is brutal. An animal will not immediately kill death if it isn’t necessary, as that would be time and energy wasted. Immobilizing prey is just as good as killing it, from the predator’s perspective.

For example, Hyenas eat the ass of their prey first, as that’s usually the first thing they can latch onto when chasing from behind. They eat the ass end first while the prey is still alive, screaming and flailing which turns to whimpers and twitching. The ass is, of course, a long way from the heart and brain, so the prey will only see rest from this torture after they lose consciousness from blood loss, which will be quite a bit after the hyenas start tearing it apart.

Kelp Gulls will land on the backs of baby whales and peck away at their skin and blubber, deforming the calf at best, and giving it a slow torturous death at worst. The calfs don’t have as great a lung capacity, so they need to surface much more frequently, and while mature whales will know to to flick their tail, arch their back, roll around, etc, in order to get the birds off of their back, the calves are not yet smart enough to do so, so they just sit there and let the gulls peck away at their flesh.

I have seen a video of a Coconut Crab breaking both wings of a Red-Footed Booby with its claws before eating it, the bird bleeding and screaming the whole time, while several other Coconut Crabs approach to join in after the bird became immobilized.

The Shoebill Stork almost always has 2 chicks per clutch, and those chicks start pecking and fighting each other as soon as they hatch. The mother only feeds the one that wins, the other is ignored and eventually staves to death.

The term “Brood Parasite“ is used to describe bird species like the Cuckoo and the Cowbird who, after laying their eggs, drop their eggs into the nests of other birds. Oftentimes the parent of that nest will mistake the egg for its own, and will raise the parasite long enough for it to become self-sufficient. There have been documented cases where, if the nest‘s parent does not fall for it and gets rid of the egg, the egg’s parent will come and destroy all of the nest’s eggs while the nest-parent is away in order dissuade them from rejecting anymore parasitic eggs, kind of like the mafia. If this wasn’t bad enough, these Brood Parasite species often have a much faster growth rate than most of their victim species, allowing their chick to hatch and grow such that they grow enough to start pushing out the other eggs and chicks, killing them. It already instinctually knows to do this at a very young age; It commits these murders while it’s still just a pink blob that has no feathers and still can’t properly open its eyes.

Suddenly a house-cat swiftly killing a mouse or bird doesn’t sound so bad, does it?
OMG can we kill nature with fire D:

ZS7JUew.gif

ILLtown

Yeah, of course.

Obviously it's different to humans causing harm to animals, where sometimes I get genuinely angry about it and want to smack the person's fucking face in. Animals can't rationalise, they have no sense of morality etc. so they can't help what they're doing, but it still bothers me sometimes.

BlueAlpaca

My avatar is an award winning picture of a marmot coming out of hibernation only to meet a fox. It's horrifying and hilarious at the same time. I'm probably going to change it soon as it's more disturbing than funny.

Here's the full picture:

%C2%A9-Yongqing-Bao-Wildlife-Photographer-of-the-Year.jpg

Last edited:

haxan7

Banned
Never bothered me and I’ve watched a good number of animal on animal violence videos.

Something tells me TaySan TaySan has seen very few if any human related gore videos if he’s worrying about animals. Right?

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I feel for the bunnies. Sweetest little animal on the planet and every predator wants to eat them. Poor little, buggers.

TaySan

Banned
Never bothered me and I’ve watched a good number of animal on animal violence videos.

Something tells me TaySan TaySan has seen very few if any human related gore videos if he’s worrying about animals. Right?
I seen a couple fucked up videos involving war and the cartel, but i don't watch much involving animals. :(

Saw one dude get blown to pieces by a mortar gun standing right in front of it. And another of a rival cartel dude getting decapitated by a cartel member with a chainsaw. That was enough internet for me.

haxan7

Banned
I seen a couple fucked up videos involving war and the cartel, but i don't watch much involving animals. :(

Saw one dude get blown to pieces by a mortar gun standing right in front of it. And another of a rival cartel dude getting decapitated by a cartel member with a chainsaw. That was enough internet for me.
Would you say watching animals being harmed affects you more than humans?

teezzy

Banned
No, I eat meat.

It does seem different if humans are doing it though. Like those slaughterhouse videos.

But again, I eat meat. I could probably kill a dumb chicken or something if I had to

Top Bottom