• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does morality matter to you when playing games?

petran79

Banned
While browsing through various sites, I stumbled upon this one:

https://www.christcenteredgamer.com

I'd expect to read some very biased reviews in favour of Christianity and video games are evil etc. Yet this site goes into detailed reviews and divides the review into two segments.

The purely gameplay related one and the one about morality. Not just if it is appropriate for kids but the moral messages it carries, in accordance to Christian values. They do this with every game. From Mario Kart to Witcher 3.

In their forums they even have a thread for No Blood, No Language and Modesty mods

Eg for Persona 5:

Game Score - 98%
Gameplay - 19/20
Graphics - 10/10
Sound - 10/10
Stability - 5/5
Controls - 5/5

Morality Score - 31%
Violence - 3/10
Language - 2/10
Sexual Content - 3/10
Occult/Supernatural - 0/10
Cultural/Moral/Ethical - 7.5/10

Reasoning:

Human girls wear very revealing bikinis, and some jokes are made about the male gaze, including a desire of one to paint a nude model 'for art'. An attractive girl is noted to hold down her skirt or point out guys trying to look down her shirt. One girl is seen wearing a tight leather outfit and carries a whip. As mentioned before, the main character can have one or many girlfriends (with consequences if he takes more than one), and has sex with them, including with grown women. A maid service exists in the game, and sexual services being available is implied, though you are too young for those services.

Language is also fully in the adult camp, with every common curse word uttered, including God's name in vain, 'sh*t', 'd*mn', '*ss', 'b*tch', 'b*st*rd', 'd*ck', and 'f*ck'. At least one character uses foul language fairly regularly, with 'd*mn' and 'sh*t' heard in battle. There are times when you need to lie to proceed.

Reasons for 7.5 score:

https://www.christcenteredgamer.com/index.php/reviews/consoles/playstation-4/6529-persona-5-ps4

Despite all of this, there are some positive references to Christianity, as well as references to Shintoism. There is a Shinto temple and a church, and at the church you even learn about Jesus' Passion and it describes the Crucifixion. A priest explains the anguish, forgiveness, and resurrection of Jesus, and how he bore the sins of mankind. There are other references to the Bible, like the Parable of the Talents. Phrases like 'thank God' and 'oh my God' are also used.

Though even Nintendo does not escape:

https://www.christcenteredgamer.com...the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-switch

There is a clearly effeminate man named Bolson, who wears pink and earrings, sounds funny, and calls you 'studly'. Of course Nintendo doesn't go to much farther than that, but it does make you wonder. There is a bar where alcohol consumption is mentioned, and the bartender will not sell you a drink because you are too young. There are some characters who wear clothing that exposes midriffs, cleavage, etc. In one section of the game, you interact with a man who is clearly cross dressing, and prefers to be referred to as a woman. You also have to dress as a woman in order to progress in the game in that section as well. A few women subtly hit on you, or at least admire your physique. The ESRB notes a line "If I have to have something pounce on me, why couldn't it be a lady?"

They use humour as well

https://www.christcenteredgamer.com...helds/vita/6018-corpse-party-blood-drive-vita

The dialogue is good and the character development is great. All of the dialogue is in Japanese and it can be a learning tool to learn all of the naughty words in the English language! Some of the colorful phrases include sh*t eating grin, b*tch, b*stard, d*mn, dumb*ss, and f*cktard. The Lord’s name is used in vain for good measure as well. One of the female character’s wears a dress that accentuates her cleavage while another is shown taking a bath. Thankfully there was enough steam and bubbles to cover up the necessary body parts.

While there is a ton of occult symbolism and pentagrams everywhere, one of the main characters is seeking redemption and undoing the black magic that banished her friends from existence. While her motives are pure, she’s only digging herself deeper in the occult by trying to bring them back. The book of shadows Ayumi is after is also sought by several others who are willing to kill for it. It's a race against time with many traps and dangers, both alive and dead, that stand in the way of Ayumi and her acquaintances.

If you’re looking for a dark survival/horror game and enjoyed the previous Corpse Party entries, then Corpse Party: Blood Drive is worth looking into. I found this game to be too immersed into the occult for me to enjoy it personally. It is PS TV compatible, but with the grotesque atmosphere and strong language, this game should not be played around children. Especially those that can read

As you play video games, have you given up on interpreting all that is happening around your character or do such things matter? Not necessary according to Christian or religious beliefs but also your own personal beliefs. Maybe this is the reason I prefer short term games or arcade titles. No matter the good or bad story, all of this is too overwhelming to bear.

When you graph and chart it out, it makes it weird. It's a game. I die, they die. Humans, aliens, Tetris blocks,,,,its all digital. So no. My morality goes out the window.

In answer to the thread title, I enjoy immorality in video games.

That site is fascinating. I used to find reading CommonSenseMedia's reviews amusing for similar reasons.

Ralemont

not me
Do you mean, if a game's story had themes which I considered morally repulsive (not the content, but the message) then would I care? Sure, absolutely.

Cess007

To your question in the OP. No, morality doesn't matter to me when I'm playing games.

And about the page, quite interesting. The text you copied is quite interesting and way less prude that I expected.

Raptomex

No, I don't. I see them as games that I can play and enjoy and I'm fully aware none of it is real life. If I think the message or content is fucked up, what do I care? In fact, I might even be impressed it made me feel a certain way. And you can still be a good person. Did I have fun is the real question. Regardless, based on what I read in the OP (I'm not clicking the links since I'm at work), I think its a unique element to reviewing games, especially nowadays.

When playing open world create a character style games, I find it hard to do "evil" playthroughs, just doesn't jive with me. That said, with Fallout games, I'm more morally grey because I feel the world makes that more of a choice.

Really shows just how much I get into those games I guess.

JC Lately

Decided to see if this site had a Bayonetta review, so I hit up their search tool. Found a blog post about how they support GamerGate. Closed the site and will not be returning.

EDIT: On, I find it hard to be 'evil' games that allow you to be so, so I guess morality in a game does matter? Like I find it off putting and not in the least bit enjoyable when taken seriously. Might be why I can never enjoy GTA, but loved Saints Row.

ViolentP

I try to be responsible enough to try and keep my personality and my entertainment separate. Games for me are to escape and try the things I would never try in my real life due to morality and responsibility.

Usually won't keep me from playing a game, but i think about it and in some cases it irks me.
I think SMTIV uses a lot of christian imagery and terminology poorly which I don't like. A lot of japanese devs use that kind of like some in the west use ancient greek mythology for fantasy stories.

P5 doesn't handle a lot of its more mature themes well either. Seems like sexual harassment is played for laughs and sexual assault/rape is played down. Characters are also a bit too young for a western audience. Sexualizing high school students is pretty gross.

It would have to be very very extreme circumstances for me to refuse to play a game based on morality. RapeLay, Super Columbine Massacre RPG and Hatred are games that I wouldn't play from what I have seen as well some creepy "secret" pedophile visual novels/games etc.

Man, are those BotW remarks cringe worthy. I'd almost forgotten there's still a large amount of the population who views anything even vaguely associated with homosexuality as immoral. So lame.

Hey, leave Bolson alone. He's like, one of the best characters from BotW.

Also, as far as morality in games, I prefer games where you're good/neutral at the worst. I get no enjoyment out of being the bad guy and shooting innocents or exchanging drugs etc. That's why as much as I understand GTA is a good series, it just will never click with me.

SledGod

There is a clearly effeminate man named Bolson, who wears pink and earrings, sounds funny, and calls you 'studly'. Of course Nintendo doesn't go to much farther than that, but it does make you wonder.

Mostly just makes me wonder why someone would find that objectionable.

Which is something BioWare also chooses to plant their flag on: women serve equally side-by-side by men in battle. While this is a topic of debate today, and only possible given technological and medical advancements made within the past 100 years or so, it's absurd to cast it as feasible so far into the past, even a fantastical past. It's clearly there to make a political point while ignoring socioeconomic realities of the medieval age it purports to take place in, and the stark biological differences between the sexes.

This is the worst sort of storytelling and it's all the more noteworthy because BioWare is better at its craft than this. That said, however, they've embraced one of the key techniques of normalizing otherwise objectionable content in media: don't draw attention to it. Don't draw attention to it, treat it as innocuous, and it will be absorbed a piece at a time organically.

This is a lesson Christian media has yet to embrace, preferring to obtusely beat non-believers about the neck and face with a message.

Finding Cassandra's warm center – BioWare has described her like being a “crusty baguette” - was a real joy.

Never been more glad to have AdBlock on a website before.

As for the question in the OP, yes, I like morality in a game; and by morality, I mean there being black, white and all the many grays in between them. But that's as far as it goes.

Fou-Lu

The fact that this site sees homosexuality and other LGBT issues as immoral or at least a moral question immediately makes it trash. Further it seems to worry more about what women wear than anything else which is gross.

As for me personally? The only time morality comes into games for me is when I have the option to hurt NPCs that I don't have to, I usually won't. I suppose I also refuse to support a game if I know someone who created it is an awful person too.

Xbro

Usually won't keep me from playing a game, but i think about it and in some cases it irks me.
I think SMTIV uses a lot of christian imagery and terminology poorly which I don't like. A lot of japanese devs use that kind of like some in the west use ancient greek mythology for fantasy stories.

That's pretty par the course for the SMT series.

Morality is important, but it's a videogame so it has the freedom to play with it a bit. The standards by the website in OP are archaic and gross.
I mean, there are already age ratings for a reason when it comes to sexual imagery and cursing etc.

I think it's amusing to think about (see the "Is Nathan Drake a mass murderer" threads), but ultimately I put it aside if the game's just fun.

Marcel

The only problem with "evil" choices in games is usually they aren't actually sinister or clever, you're just usually an asshole.

I'm always up for a developer telling me a story and not take offence. I can play as a character that I'm not fond of quite easily and will usually act with my own morality in games that give the option such as witcher 3.
A lot of Japanese games end up with you killing god and I'm somewhat religious but can still enjoy the themes they are trying to talk about. Hate when a game actively focuses to offend for the sake of offending.

Nah, don't care one bit. It may slightly irk me, but it won't keep me from playing a game if it's good. Still, you probably won't catch me doing "evil" route/playthroughs unless I'm not playing seriously.

Poppy

what does occultism have to do with morality

i know this is an example of not reading the thread and being reactionary and stuff but

if morality means "not subscribing wholesale to my version of the doctrine of christianity and forsaking all supernatural ideas otherwise presented" that isnt a morality score, it's just a christianity score

chadtwo

Not unless:

A. the game's morality is integral to it in a major story/gameplay way
B. I disagree with this morality
C. The entertainment I derive from the game doesn't outweigh the above considerations

In other words, very rarely.

redcrayon

I enjoy thinking about the themes of morality and philosophy (amongst others) on display in games, and like the constant exploration that doing the right thing often isn't the easiest, the most fun or the most rewarding path. 'No good deed goes unpunished', as they say!

While I sometimes rail against the endless safe sci-fi/fantasy cultural silo that provides games with a constant stream of samey space marines, dragons, robots and zombies, fantasy societies can be an interesting testbed for 'what if' ideas, that's what drew me to such fiction and RPGs etc as a kid in the first place.

The blinkered 'moralities' of various US religious sects are fairly oddball ones in this day and age though, at least where I'm sitting. Amused to see concern over female soldiers in dragon age with regard to modern weapons, when a fair chunk of the combatants fight with magic spells, teleport, can instantly heal the critically injured, turn into supernatural beings or can summon monsters to fight for them, and both male/female sword and shield troops can shrug off damage because rule of cool. Concern that traditional bigotry and sexism championed by organised religions isn't fairly represented in the fantasy worlds dreamed up by people professionally offering escapism that they at least admit is fiction is hilarious.

Wulfram

I don't like to play characters I don't have some degree of sympathy with. Though I wouldn't consider that necessarily a moral failing of the game, since depiction isn't the same as endorsement. Its just a question of what's fun for me.

Games generally are too amoral for me to really take offense at. There are games that end up seeming to encourage morals I don't agree with, but since this seems to arise more from negligence than actual belief it doesn't bother me greatly.

Pollux17

Neo Member
I enjoy finding ways of not having to attack/ kill NPCs in games as long as it doesn't make sense for my character story to do so. That's why I prefer non-linear games.

In Breath of the Wild I didn't attack any animals or insects, lol

In regards to gore, language whatever: most games are works of art so of course the creators should just follow their own vision, whatever it turns out to be

DerpHause

Real world morality not so much.

In game morality on the other hand? Sure, I actually like to be immersed in a character, moreso when that character is something at least somewhat of my own creation. They'll tend to follow certain rules unless the game dictates otherwise.

I've always struggled with this concept in open world games with a heavy narrative. I've noticed older games Like Knights of the Old Republic and other older Bioware and Bethesda titles tend to take morality rather broadly. The decisions you make and the resulting consequences were almost always limited to the moral decision you made. Did you let the villain go? Good for you, you get the best version of the "good" ending, and vice versa.

Now? It's much muddier than that. I loved how Dragon Age: Origins almost punished you for sparing enemies (Alistair?) KotOR's moral scale was stunted by The Force's strict polarity and I believe the story would have suffered if it wasn't for Bioware's distancing from the film series and embracing grey Jedis from the EU.

When I'm playing games with moral decisions I always (annoyingly) have to decide if their moral scale is Boy Scout level or realistic.

ozfunghi

Yes, it's not something that i cast aside lightly. I can play Madworld, GTA (though i'm not a fan), probably could play something like Manhunt as well, but i'd be very aware of the fact that i have to place it inside a mental bubble of sorts before being able to start playing.

Even in an innocent RPG, i'll end up making choices like i would in real life.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I will almost always take the option not to kill people in games, though I think that's more due to the challenge than morality.

While I'm dimly aware of my actions when playing (and what their context would be were they performed in real-life), the beauty of video games is in their ability to allow you to explore an essentially consequence free world.

Moral choices matter to me in games. The examples in the OP are more about values, e.g. nudity and cursing. They call it a "morality score," but it's honestly not.

bender

What time is it?
Normally, no. The only exception I can think of was Manhunt which I stopped playing within the first few minutes.

Nope. They're all zeros and ones.

The only thing I may feel weird about is doing something appalling like beating the shit out of a woman or a child, but no game maker would put that in their title so I think I'm safe.

Fercho

Yes (in a way), i just have a hard time being an asshole in games where you have that option (like in Mass Effect), I don't know why really....... so i just play the good guy unless there is an achievement or something interesting on the other play-style.

Hektor

the main character can have one or many girlfriends (with consequences if he takes more than one), and has sex with them

wait a minute.

What did i miss by dating Kawakami?????

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nope. They're all zeros and ones.

The only thing I may feel weird about is doing something appalling like beating the shit out of a woman or a child, but no game maker would put that in their title so I think I'm safe.
I think u are safe as long as u don't play
Drakengard 1

As mentioned before, the main character can have one or many girlfriends (with consequences if he takes more than one), and has sex with them, including with grown women. A maid service exists in the game, and sexual services being available is implied, though you are too young for those services.

LOL, whut?
Is this just another exaggeration or do the characters really have sex? I would be very surprised if Persona 5 went any further than kissing.

Madame M

Banned
Tokyo Mirage Sessions review is great

https://www.christcenteredgamer.com...les/wii-u/6221-tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-wii-u

Moral Warnings: Japanese Pop Idol Fashion; mild cursing; blasphemy; innuendos; LGBT relations (Used for laughs)

Making fun of gay people is a moral hazard because it will remind people that gay people exist!

The offending content in question:

"The game does have an odd occurrence regarding an LGBT relation; it is played for laughs as the high school girl has a love for what she knows to be a computer program and that it 'Transcends gender and all dimensions.'"

I mean, I think most games and forms of art will build themes around common morality. My morals are pretty baseline so I sit through pretty much anything and make a judgement based on the whole. The way it reaches that message, I just look at as the artistic expression of said message.

But 99% of the time I never even notice myself doing this so it's whatever. I'm grown, and I don't get hung up on how other people write behave or speak, unless it's awesome and then I might get a little obsessive.

Top Bottom