• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does the possibility of extraterrestrials existing and visiting us scare you and why?

Does the possibility of extraterrestrials existing scare you?

• Yes

• No

• Shut up you're stupid (I'm scared hold me daddy)

Results are only viewable after voting.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Y7meNpP.jpg
o0zIQLr.jpg

Want a peak a another human species infrastructure. Here on Earth? Look no further. You'll have to detract a 1000 years tho.

Last edited:

I_D

They're too vast now with current technology, but in the future it will be possible. We have people working on the problem right now. If it was totally impossible then the research would be pointless.

No it wouldn't.
Traveling within our solar system is still rife with potential and benefits.

And even if our solar system was completely barren, research would still have benefits.
Knowledge, itself, is beneficial, as it leads to other knowledge.

Romulus

There isn't anything ruling out future generations solving the FTL problem. Solutions for this have been brought up over the decades. The most well known is the Alcubierre drive that warps space-time by generating a bubble of negative energy. However, this requires exotic forms of matter that we currently don't have or might not even exist.

A few years ago Göttingen University astrophysicist Erik Lentz proposed a way of solving this problem by creating a warp bubble with positive energy sources. Although still theoretical and no real solution is on the horizon in the next few years and some people have pointed out possible issues with Lentz's design, it shows that real people are trying to figure out ways to fix the FTL problem without breaking the laws of physics.

Who's to say how far we'll get to achieving this goal in the next 100 - 200 years?

Most breakthrough technology came off like bullshit to everyone that wasn't involved with tons of naysayers saying x, y, z, is impossible until it wasn't.

We could be one "bullshit" breakthrough away from traveling close to lightspeed or a way around it.

Imagine the people that invented dynamite being told humans would split the atom and be able to annihilate an entire city with 1 bomb or even destroy a country from a single submarine. "Thats fucking bullshit.'

Last edited:

sono

They certainly scared this pilot in 1975. This is a very compelling story, the pilot and air traffic controllers are still alive and recounts the story even now. The frantic radio calls from the pilot were recorded and airtraffic recorded the UAP on radar.

Last edited:
It doesn't scare me, because... I feel exhausted from my own race... I want to imagine, that there could be a race of beings out there, that could possibly help us course-correct... I hope that make sense.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
No it wouldn't.
Traveling within our solar system is still rife with potential and benefits.

And even if our solar system was completely barren, research would still have benefits.
Knowledge, itself, is beneficial, as it leads to other knowledge.

Yes. Knowledge allows us to find solutions to problems currently considered impossible by some, such as interstellar travel.

Most breakthrough technology came off like bullshit to everyone that wasn't involved with tons of naysayers saying x, y, z, is impossible until it wasn't.

We could be one "bullshit" breakthrough away from traveling close to lightspeed or a way around it.

Imagine the people that invented dynamite being told humans would split the atom and be able to annihilate an entire city with 1 bomb or even destroy a country from a single submarine. "Thats fucking bullshit.'

Well said.

In the 1480s, Italian polymath, Leonardo da Vinci drew up an idea for a flying machine (the aerial screw) which functioned very much like a modern helicopter. In the 15th century the technology wasn't anywhere close for humans to take the to skies, but the concept was there.

It wouldn't be until 1903 that the Wright brothers took the first flight. By the end of that century, we had not only mastered flight, but also helicopters, jet engines that allowed us to travel the speed of sound and flights out the earth and into space.

Interstellar travel is currently our dream, but one day it'll be another's reality.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

There was also something else I can't remember that was in the 40-60% speed of light, which would get us pretty far with looming immortality in the next 500 years. It wasn't Nasa though

That quote you’ve used isn’t in that article?

This is though:
Although there might be a small problem here, this would require a large amount of mass-energy to make the warp drive function. To propel the spacecraft at such as level, you would need the mass equivalent to that of Jupiter.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
In the 1480s, Italian polymath, Leonardo da Vinci drew up an idea for a flying machine (the aerial screw) which functioned very much like a modern helicopter. In the 15th century the technology wasn't anywhere close for humans to take the to skies, but the concept was there.

It wouldn't be until 1903 that the Wright brothers took the first flight. By the end of that century, we had not only mastered flight, but also helicopters, jet engines that allowed us to travel the speed of sound and flights out the earth and into space.

Interstellar travel is currently our dream, but one day it'll be another's reality.

Unfortunately, you can’t just apply the same logic from past scientific breakthroughs to the current situation with faster than light travel.

Our technology (such as the LHC) now allows us to see, and gather huge amounts of evidence, that breaking the speed of light is impossible. Largely because the entire universe around us requires that limit to actually exist. The same way gravity must exist the way it does. We’re not like scientists a few hundred years ago, who didn’t have the technology to study, test and appreciate things like the way air pressure functions.

I don’t like it any more than you do, but it’s the truth. We will in the future create forms of propulsion that require far less energy, and we will be able to go much faster than we can now, but getting up at around light speed fundamentally alters your perception of reality. It would also make navigation impossible. Countless experiments have also been conducted that show the equation between speed and mass, and that approaching light speed is impossible because infinite speed requires infinite mass.

’Warp’ drive is the only posited concept that could possibly shift past the speed of light, as the ship wouldn’t be moving, but the spacetime around it would, however, to warp space again requires mass. There’s no getting around that fact. And the mass required would also be prohibitively huge.

Yes, interstellar travel will one day be a reality, but it will take years, not hours or days to get anywhere, and we’ll only be visiting the most proximate stars.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
’Warp’ drive is the only posited concept that could possibly shift past the speed of light, as the ship wouldn’t be moving, but the spacetime around it would, however, to warp space requires mass. There’s no getting around that fact. And the mass required would be prohibitively huge.

Yes, interstellar travel will one day be a reality, but it will take years, not hours or days to get anywhere, and we’ll only be visiting the most proximate stars.

The most well know concept warps space-time by using negative mass, which would require forms of exotic matter we currently don't have access to, but that's not to say it's completely ruled out that future generations will crack this problem.

Already some people are looking at the possibility of being able to warp space-time with positive mass, which solves the exotic matter problem. People are more knowledgeable on the subject than anybody here on this forum are working on this problem.

That makes me optimistic that future generations will solve this problem, but it's going to take a long time.

Slightly off topic, but the problem would be solved faster if humanity put aside their differences and all worked together to share research, knowledge and resources. Imagine all the trillions that we spend creating weapons to better kill each other and maintaining armed forces was put into science. How quickly would we advance and solve problems that could currently take hundreds of years to solve. I know that's fantasy, but interesting to consider nonetheless.

Romulus

Unfortunately, you can’t just apply the same logic from past scientific breakthroughs to the current situation with faster than light travel.

We can though, because our understanding of the universe is still incomplete. If were at some apex of science you would be right. We're not even close. FTL as you and I understand it(pushing mass with a rocket etc) is probably impossible in that way.

Our technology (such as the LHC) now allows us to see, and gather huge amounts of evidence, that breaking the speed of light is impossible. Largely because the entire universe around us requires that limit to actually exist.

The particle accelerator cannot test warp drives or other methods.

The same way gravity must exist the way it does.

Gravity's existence is a mystery. That's one of the biggest questions in science because sub-atomic components of matter inherently possess the ability to influence spacetime.

We've even made up a hypothetical term to describe why this might happen:

Gravity breaks down at the level of atoms and molecules. We can’t describe black holes or the moment of the Big Bang without math problems.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
We can though, because our understanding of the universe is still incomplete. If were at some apex of science you would be right. We're not even close. FTL as you and I understand it(pushing mass with a rocket etc) is probably impossible.

The particle accelerator cannot test warp drives or other methods.

Gravity's existence is a mystery. That's one of the biggest questions in science because sub-atomic components of matter inherently possess the ability to influence spacetime. That's unknown.

Our understanding of the universe is indeed incomplete, but we have reams and reams of evidence that support special relativity, and the science involved in mass, energy and speed.

The LHC is used to accelerate sub atomic particles to near light speeds. From it they can see what the energy requirements are for those kinds of speeds - hence how we know that the amount of energy required to reach light speeds is prohibitively high.

Romulus

Our understanding of the universe is indeed incomplete, but we have reams and reams of evidence that support special relativity, and the science involved in mass, energy and speed.

The LHC is used to accelerate sub atomic particles to near light speeds. From it they can see what the energy requirements are for those kinds of speeds - hence how we know that the amount of energy required to reach light speeds is prohibitively high.

LHC isn't addressing the methods nasa is investing in so with current technology we're looking at building a door for this wall, not bursting through it. Even still it's difficult because our understanding is so primitive.

It's incredibly difficult to forecast what is possible when we don't have a complete understanding. I wouldn't even say it's close either. As I said gravity is a basic foundation and it's mysterious to us.

Dark matter makes up the majority of the universe and we have no idea what it is.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
U stoopid

Bro. Aliens are here don't you watch ancient aliens you fucking simpleton.

They come from space and are old like mummies dipshit. Bettah learn ya shit npc

U so dumb. Musc is going to mars bitch. Because we have shit figured out here. We're so in tune with ourselves, social, psychological and overal getting along, nevermind our overly advanced expertise in utilizing our planets space for housing etc??Damn you so stupid we so efficient and stuff we need to venture into space yo smh npc !

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Avi Loeb is going to the second half guest on Coast to Coast AM tonight. It'll be hosted by George Knapp.

The show starts at 10:00 p.m. Pacific time live. Avi Loeb will be on at 12:00 a.m.

If you are interested in listening to it live at 10:00 p.m., the first half will be about the Mothman.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I think it is silly that those old timey scientist thought flight of things heavier than air was impossible. I mean there were birds in the 19th century, right?

Show me an animal going faster than light or doing interdimensional travel and I wouldn't question the idea at all.

Last edited:

Trilobit

Lol, no, aliens are as real as the loch ness monster or yeti. If adults really want to believe in UFOs and stuff that's their right. But it's a bit childish to be honest.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Not just an animal flying in the vacuum of space but also traveling faster than the speed of light.

That's all it would take to get you to believe it? Be honest, you'd require more evidence than that!

Wait weren't you claiming this is all possible? Why the fucking attitude, I'm just commenting on those scientist's weird remarks.

And it shouldn't even be a vacuum but I guess that might help.

Romulus

Wait weren't you claiming this is all possible? Why the fucking attitude, I'm just commenting on those scientist's weird remarks.

And it shouldn't even be a vacuum but I guess that might help.

No attitude, just having fun.

I never claimed animals were traveling at the speed of light. Maybe some intelligence species could get close or find a way around it if they were thousands-millions of years ahead of us.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
No attitude, just having fun.

I never claimed animals were traveling at the speed of light. Maybe some intelligence species could get close or find a way around it if they were thousands-millions of years ahead of us.
You should check out some HP Lovecraft and Cthulhu Mythos if you haven't before.

DosGamer

I just read that they did CT scans, Floroscopy and xrays and concluded that they are not fake or altered. This is huge news and has to get some people talking.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I just want to know that we're not alone in this vast universe for 100% definate, it can be UFO's or bio signatures on distant exp planets... anything that the entire sane world including the scientific community can 100% get behind

Romulus

US Air Force is now admitting situations similar to the Navy

Sept 22nd

The Air Force has officially confirmed a report of this incident to the Pentagon’s UFO Agency (AARO).

According to the information known so far, the incident occurred when the sensor systems of a plane that was approaching the US Air Force Base Eglin in the US state of Florida failed along with the sighting of an unknown and to date unidentified flying object over the Gulf of Mexico.

“Initially we were neither given access to all crew members involved nor to the photographs and radar data. After a lengthy discussion about what authorities apply in the USA, we were able to see the photo and speak to the crew member who took the photo.

This recording showed something that I, even my role as a former member of the Armed Forces Committee and a committee that monitors new technological-military developments, cannot attribute to any human development – neither a development of the United States nor of one of our adversaries.

Nevertheless, they initially saw a formation of four objects flying in a diamond formation, which were also detected with radar, a radar recording that I was able to see myself. One of the pilots flew towards this formation to investigate and saw what I can only describe as a large flying ball beyond all human possibility. As he approached the object, the onboard radar and FLIR system failed, forcing him to manually take the existing photo.

This sounds eerily similar to objects seen in World World 2 across several different nations involved in the conflict. Orbs that would follow fighter squadrons during missions and could quickly zip away if pursued.

But they were lights!!!!

They were reported on radar back then, now the Air Force is admitting they're on radar now along with photo and visual confirmation.

That would mean the radar glitched and the pilot is also lying and created the photo somehow. That wouldn't explain why all the WW2 pilots(literal squadrons) are also mistaken and their radars are also wrong.

There's a long line here that you might not be comfortable with and there's no scenario that makes sense other than something is observing us. Probably not aliens as we think of them, but its something we don't understand.

Prepare to unfuck millions of years of evolutionary superiority telling your brain you're the best and most advanced species ever. This is just getting rolling. IF you're not comfortable with it, the "distraction" or "secret tech bro" angle helps some people.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I just read that they did CT scans, Floroscopy and xrays and concluded that they are not fake or altered. This is huge news and has to get some people talking.

Who are "they" though?

"They" can make everything "big news" or and "big but under the radar" to make it seemingly "semi hidden" lol

Last edited:

Unknown?

Nah, don't believe they are real. They always get brought up conveniently when things attention needs to be diverted.

If they were real, wouldn't bother me.

Top Bottom