• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don’t Sleep on Concrete Genie

bitbydeath

Playing it now through PS+ and now I feel bad for not originally paying for it.

images

From what I can tell so far, the game is about a boy in an abandoned town who gets bullied by other kids. The kids rip up his sketch book sending pages scattered all over the town that he must find. (Pages are needed to perform different drawings in the town)

The town is dying and being attacked by some mysterious purple stuff?? And his graffiti is helping fight the town from being taken over.

Anyway, it’s worth checking out. You get to choose how to layout the graffiti on buildings and also you can design the monsters (or genies as they call them) yourself.

images

Just 100 percent'd Control UE, gonna try out Destruction Allstars before hopping headfirst into Nioh 2 Remastered. I will try to check this out after I plat Nioh 2 Remastered.

Honestly I had never heard of it before it was offered this month but read a bit and it sounds pretty great.

This is a great PS+ month. Great month.

Last edited:
Well, in Asia all we get is Concrete Genie for the PS4 and Control is only for PS5 (for some weird effing reason), so I technically dont have a choice 🤷🏽‍♂️

sublimit

Banned
Gameplay does look better than i thought it was. But the hipsterish-art style of the main character puts me off.

i will try it at some point.

Bergoglio

I find it unacceptable in 2021 a game where I don't have precise control over doing actions like painting and moving the pad at random.

GymWolf

The game has combats.....
Really? I watched some reviews back in the day and i didn't saw a single second of combat, jist exploration and puzzle solving.

Not really interested if you fight one time every 30 min either.

But thanks for the heads up, i'm gonna watch some other footage.

Last edited:
It's a cool little game but I feel like it would be infinitely better in VR, which I don't have.
The game isn' t really playable in VR, It just has an optional VR mode completely separated from the normal story and exclusively mired at drawing graffiti in a semi- abstract space. It's a nice addition, but quite short (maybe a couple of hours or Little more?) and kinda ripetitive.

Impotaku

It's a cool little game but I feel like it would be infinitely better in VR, which I don't have.
It's only a drawing mode that's in VR the main game you play is not in VR so you didn't miss anything huge.

Bought this game on original release, it's artstyle and story i loved, these are the games that are mostly ignored by the mainstream masses but i'm glad that devs still make them. I'll ALWAYS take artsyle over realism in gaming.

wipeout364

I almost bought it during a sale last fall but all the reviews said it was a dud to play, really boring gameplay. If it’s still avaialable on PSplus I will add it to my library

The game isn' t really playable in VR, It just has an optional VR mode completely separated from the normal story and exclusively mired at drawing graffiti in a semi- abstract space. It's a nice addition, but quite short (maybe a couple of hours or Little more?) and kinda ripetitive.
Wait really? I thought for the longest time it was a VR-only game. I was planning to play it in VR soon.

That's disappointing to hear.

Esppiral

It's so sad that the game has been overlooked by most players until it hit psplus, it's an amazing game and worth every penny.

x@3f*oo_e!

Kind of sneaked out didn't it

I remember the reviews. Along the lines of "well this is nice, and I want to like it, but ..."

Zephir

Got my plat in a couple of days, pretty easy all things considered, but it's a pretty game.

I didn't expect the last third of the game with THAT twist in the gameplay buuuut...I expected a bit more from the lore, like more explainations on the world and some of the characters.
As for the bullies...meh, it's obvious they were trying to do RL bully stuff, but sometimes it just too cartoonish villany and their motivations/backstories are way too generic.

Aside from that, it's a good game

Bryank75

Banned
I also bought it a while back, enjoyed it a lot. Shame it wasn't marketed widely... glad more people will enjoy it now.

buenoblue

I remember vinny playing it on giant bomb and I liked the look of it. I have so much to play right now it's insane. Another one for the backlog I'm afraid.

Would have never played it if it weren't a PS+ title, but might as well. Straightforward platinum, even though the podcast critics I listen too were fairly unimpressed.

Tommi84

Already played a bit and enjoyed it much. Will def finish it and platinum, if nothing is too much consuming.

I also found a boxed game for like 6Dollars new so decided to buy i t too tu put it on a shelf

Aenima

- Dont sleep on concrete...
- Why would i sleep...
- ... Genie.
- Oh. Yeah.

After im done with Control, it will be my next game to play.

Last edited:

Shakka43

Yeah it's definitely worth playing especially now that it's on PS+. I bought it at launch and enjoyed it a lot.

I've been playing it with my daughter and it's quote a pleasant experience. Reminds me of Infamous Second Son, Paco & Yo & Journey/Rime for various reasons.

Popped the Plat today. Probably took about 8 hours.

CbCEXBG.jpg

Charming little game. Plat is pretty straightforward and easy, a little bit of backtracking requires unless you just caught everything on the first way through. I missed a couple pages and needed a guide to find the last one, but it was pretty much right in front of me I just didn't notice it. None of the trophies are really annoying, there are just a lot of them lot of quick interactions with genies in different contexts, etc.

Very appealing visual style, looks very nice for an AA/indie PS4 game

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
It looks like a cute, charming little title. Will definitely play it some point now I have it in my library. :messenger_sunglasses:

Top Bottom